Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Winching angle...

Old 12-30-2009, 05:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I spray wd40 on mine thru the front about once a month to displace water and stuff.

I think the wire is galvanized already which should help immensely.

But lets wait and learn what the Warn contact says.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:43 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Per Warn:

About the cable, I suspect you might be in a road salt area so keeping the unit washed and covered when not in use will be important. The cable is galvanized so it will resist rust, I have never put anything on my cables just because it becomes a magnet for dirt. We don’t sell anything specific for cable, I would run if for a few years and see if you start to see any rust, it will turn grey from oxidation but still function perfectly.
Good to know about the color change. I'll run it dry as well. This guy has more experience than anyone I've ever run across on a trail or forum. In fact, he told me he's been doing this 25+ years and the ONLY cable failure he's ever experienced was in his lab when they were TRYING to break a cable. And he said it WAS NOT easy to do!
Old 12-30-2009, 03:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats good to know! I guess I will leave my cable the way it is... Now I just need to use it!
Kinda funny that I am hoping to get stuck or find someone who is stuck so I can use my winch!

Quick Reply: Winching angle...