Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Winching question -- using reverse

Old 01-20-2009, 03:06 PM
Ike
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

treat recovery like what you learned as a new driver: as the operator you and you alone are responsible for the safety of those involved (eg passengers) and for the welfare of the vehicle and its equipment. if you do not feel like you can maintain control in assuming that responsibility then ask the trouble maker(s) to shut up or get out. failing that, abandon the recovery. in short: if you have assumed control AND responsibility for a recovery then equipment failure or injury to partcipants is your own, plain and simple!

this is nothing to be gray on it is serious business.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:38 PM
JK Super Freak

yeah you are right
BAD IDEA that pressure on the drivetran is hard on it and really could brake something
you dont want to put the pressure on your drivetrain but through the winch and frame of the vehicle which is why you strap to a tree or anything else that will hold it
MAN LISTEN
if you dont like it fuck your friends or anyone else and dont do it
i have seem so many problems from pressure of friends i have seen trucks go underwater and fucked because of this
LOOK
its your jeep and you know how much money is in it and if you dont think you shjould or cant do it dont

THATS WHAT I HAVE TO SAY
Old 01-21-2009, 04:47 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Ike
treat recovery like what you learned as a new driver: as the operator you and you alone are responsible for the safety of those involved (eg passengers) and for the welfare of the vehicle and its equipment. if you do not feel like you can maintain control in assuming that responsibility then ask the trouble maker(s) to shut up or get out. failing that, abandon the recovery. in short: if you have assumed control AND responsibility for a recovery then equipment failure or injury to partcipants is your own, plain and simple!

this is nothing to be gray on it is serious business.
disagree... if someone ASKS for your assistance in recovery... they assume the risk and full liability. The operator should warn of any issues (equipment condition, experience, etc.) but that is the extent of it. If you walk into fine china shop, ask to see a piece of china, drop it... do you think the store is going to take the loss??

but back on topic... i have used reverse on several occasions, not tugging, but pulling constantly (not on a seriously stuck vehicle). If this is bad, I have not broken anything. If I do break something and it can be determined definitively that reverse caused it, i will let you all know.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:05 AM
Ike
JK Newbie

I respect your opinion, but the law generally does not agree with you - especially if there were an injury or damage to the in-need vehicle.

A stuck somebody is going to stay that way until you offer to help. They can ask all they want - but if you agree to help you are placing yourself in a role of responsibility because you are rendering a service.

There is a BIG reason that clubs require liability waivers before going on a run with them. it sucks but that's the state of affairs.

edit: not trying to be contrarian with anybody - just want folks to know that things can go south for months after a bad experience.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:04 AM
Ike
JK Newbie

didn't mean to drag this off-topic as for using reverse - I don't think there aren't any hard and fast rules. your risk for broken front end parts, snapped winch lines, or a broken winch increases pretty dramatically. As long as you've balanced that risk with the perceived benefit than proceed with caution. As 07JKX said above, I've used reverse in slick conditions where there wasn't a good place to anchor off of, lightly popping the clutch and hoping the tires would bite down. didn't really work.

Quick Reply: Winching question -- using reverse