Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

$27 mesh bikini top project

Old 08-02-2011, 06:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kCed
Finished mine yesterday! Cost me about $37...pretty pleased on how well it turned out!

I made it so the edging went right to the soft top door frames to cover that gap between the roll bar.. And for the back side of the mesh it goes over the rear roll bar! Used 12 grommets in totally!

Thanks op!
Looks good.
What is the width of yours, 48 inches? Or a little wider?
I'm gonna try to get this done this week with an old trampoline mat.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ajmelin

Looks good.
What is the width of yours, 48 inches? Or a little wider?
I'm gonna try to get this done this week with an old trampoline mat.
The mesh is 48" and I added 3 inches of edging on each side, so that would make it 54" wide... And the mesh length I made 67 plus the 3" of edging on each end...

It covers the whole top perfectly!

Forgot to mention I over lapped the mesh with the edging by 1"

Last edited by kCed; 08-02-2011 at 09:56 AM.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kCed
The mesh is 48" and I added 3 inches of edging on each side, so that would make it 54" wide... And the mesh length I made 67 plus the 3" of edging on each end...

It covers the whole top perfectly!

Forgot to mention I over lapped the mesh with the edging by 1"
So yours is 52" wide then, right?
I am going to do the 2 long sides and the "header" side first, then play with different lenghts to see how far back I want mine to go. It looks like part of the soft top hardware might get in the way if I try going down the rear roll bars.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:20 AM
JK Newbie

I did mine the easy way described in the first post. Left it 48" wide and cut to 72". Used the spider mesh pictures as template for bungee/grommet spacing. Finished product works great. A little flapping that might be fixed with grommets/bungees over the center roll bar/sound bar. The heat reduction off our Texas sun was fantastic - nice shade while still having an open feeling to the jeep. Great project!
Old 08-04-2011, 10:40 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by silverbear
I did mine the easy way described in the first post. Left it 48" wide and cut to 72". Used the spider mesh pictures as template for bungee/grommet spacing. Finished product works great. A little flapping that might be fixed with grommets/bungees over the center roll bar/sound bar. The heat reduction off our Texas sun was fantastic - nice shade while still having an open feeling to the jeep. Great project!
Got any pics? Would like to see how the longer length is.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:59 AM
JK Newbie

I made one based on this thread this past week. 48x84 role of phifer super solar screen from Lowe's, cut 10" off the end. Some 7/16 or 1/2 inch grommets whatever you can find. I found 7/16" antique bronze (less shiny than the plain silver) from a craft store. And finally Home depot sells small bungies with the black ball. Measuring and placing the grommets for the front was a bit tedious. My first go, I mistakenly assumed the center would be on center. Oops.

Anyhow it only took about 30 minutes and the family was quite pleased with the results. Thanks for the idea!
Old 08-04-2011, 11:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ajmelin
So yours is 52" wide then, right?
I am going to do the 2 long sides and the "header" side first, then play with different lenghts to see how far back I want mine to go. It looks like part of the soft top hardware might get in the way if I try going down the rear roll bars.
yes thats correct! my edging on the sides comes right up to that lever that locks the soft top on.

my mesh goes all the way to the back of the rear roll bar! i just put my soft top on and nothing got in the way!

Last edited by kCed; 08-04-2011 at 11:50 AM.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ludski
anyone know the part number for the mesh top piece. ive gone to like 4 different home depots and none of them seem to have a clue about what im talking about.
Check the link up top for Lowes. Home Depot's here in Colorado didn't have the mesh at all, but Lowes did.. hope that helps.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:55 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 4fit?
Got any pics? Would like to see how the longer length is.
Don't have a pic yet but at 72" the length go's to the back of the rear roll bar but not much further. Its a good fit.
Old 08-06-2011, 06:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yup gotta make one for sure.

Quick Reply: $27 mesh bikini top project