Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

1942 gpw and 2007 Rubicon unlimited comparison

Old 02-24-2007, 09:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1942 gpw and 2007 Rubicon unlimited comparison

Well we have picked up or new addition to the Walker motorpool. This is the wife's new SUV. I got to pick out the rubicon package that is it. Can you believe I wanted red. but the green seems to work nicely.

So far it seems like a nice rig. While not built as sturdy as a wwii jeep as the sheat metal feels like modern car, Thin and flimsy, the comfort level is decades ahead that of the 42. Not to mention the running gear is alot stronger.

The engines are harder to work on in the 07 than the 42 that is for sure. but there is still alot of room under the hood of the 07 to work. not as tight as some modern cars.

I also find the horn and siren more pleaseing in the 42 than in the 07. But I am biast. I love my GPW.

I also find the security system has more interest and is probably a better deturant in the 42 than in the 07. The 07 has a button on the key that locks the doors and turns on a blinking light on the dash if the door is opened it honks the horn. The 42 gets what ever firearm I feel is appropriate for the day. Today it is a thompson. also the siren on the 42 is a motor driven version that would wake the dead in the advent of an air raid or just for fun.

Funny thing too there is actually more cubby storage in the 42 than in the 07. the glove box is tiny and there is only one small hidden cubby in the back of the 07. the 42 has it over the 07 for compartment storage with the large volume glove box and 2 tool bosxes built into the body on either side of the seat. But volume of space the 07 has it over the 42 with the 4 doors and the large trunk area that is unheard of in a WWII jeep. I also slid in my reciever pintle into it to check how the spacing will be with my 43 Bantam. I am happy to say the it is perfect and the Bantam will now ride level behind my modern suv not with the rake it had behind my 4runner.

the floor mats are great. can you recognise the patterns. It looks like I pulled the treads off these 2 vehicles don't it. (Disclamer this pict is not mine. I have not yet recieved my floormats and I am not going to add fake wood to my dash.)

And last but not least, the rear cargo.
this is my first mod. can you believe that they neglected to add cargo anchor points in this Jeep. I had to drill and add blind nuts to the body, so I could bolt in D rings to tie my cargo net to. This keeps the stroller in the back in the advent of an accedent. these will also allow me to tie down camping gear and coolers in the summer when we head into the mountains and have to use the axle lockers. Well some stuff. most of the time camping gear gets to ride in the Bantam.

Incase you don't know what a Bantam is. It is the trailer behing my 42

I will do and interior comparison when the sun comes out and I can take the top off of the 07. I have yet to see how the soft top installs. it is much more complex than the 42. 10X more pieces and all sorts of seals, windows and fiddly parts.

Last edited by gpwpat; 02-25-2007 at 07:49 PM.
Old 02-25-2007, 03:04 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really enjoyed that.................thanks
Old 02-25-2007, 03:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Great pics and writeup, nice work. I love reds myself, but the Jeep Green was my second choice. It looks very nice contrasting with the black top and flares.

You know I ordered my Unlimited Rubicon for myself as a toy. Now that it's come in and my wife has been driving it, she is really enjoying it. I have been looking for a 2003-2004 Lincoln Navigator for her for a while now, but we may be buying another Jeep to park in the garage. I am trying to decide whether or not to get a 2WD Unlimited for her, or spend the extra $$$ for the 4WD for resale value.
Old 02-25-2007, 06:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Nice writeup. Do you know the bolt pattern on the 42's wheels?
Old 02-25-2007, 06:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

what a pair

awesome
Old 02-25-2007, 06:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

The cubby-hole in the back works out nicely for me... my long-arm for the day is a RRA Entry Tactical, with a 14.5" barrel (perm attached extended flashhider).

Old 02-25-2007, 08:19 AM
JK Newbie

Thumbs up

It seems green is the theme for your Jeeps. I like the security system on the
'42. Is the trailer for Ammo?

I ordered the red.

Thanks for the Pics.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by gpwpat
And last but not least, the rear cargo.
this is my first mod. can you believe that they neglected to add cargo anchor points in this Jeep. I had to drill and add blind nuts to the body, so I could bolt in D rings to tie my cargo net to.
Great pics and comparison

Could you do a quick writeup of your tie-down mod? Maybe a shot from underneath as well? I've been thinking of doing something similar, but I'm pretty scared to take a drill to my body tub...
Old 02-25-2007, 11:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Awesome, love the "42" Pic with the bantam, I would love to see that going down the road!
Old 02-25-2007, 03:08 PM
JK Newbie

That Ford looks nice next to the Jeep.

I want the Ford.

Quick Reply: 1942 gpw and 2007 Rubicon unlimited comparison