Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

3.8L Stroker?

Old 07-25-2009, 08:50 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockkrawler
I am currently doing my homework on a twin turbo setup for my 3.8. Would be interested in any data you have on putting boost into the motor.
From the Allpar site, about two thirds down on this page

ht tp://www.allpar.com/mopar/33.html

"Jim Gathmann wrote: "when the 3.3 and 3.8 were tested for turbo applications, the engine blew its self to bits. The 3.3 and 3.8 were both used as prototype engines for the Dynasty police cruisers, and the idea was a police package Dynasty- with beefed up parts, a 3.8 and a turbo would be the Mopar replacement to the M-bodies (as they ended in 1989...). The problem was that the 3.3/3.8s would literally break apart on the bottom end during what Chrysler has called 'moderate boost.'"
Old 07-25-2009, 09:46 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm not a engine guy, but can you balance, port, program, maybe some headers, etc.? waste of time and money? how much money and how much more horsepower?

doug
Old 07-26-2009, 02:59 PM
JK Jedi

No one has a program for a 3.8 that would be modded that much that I know of. I guess one of the programmer companies could write something custom but heaven knows what it would cost. Not to mention the porting and all. I think balancing would be a total waste. These engines are balanced very well these days. Head work would probably pick u pa few ponies but the cost again would outweigh any performance benefits, IMO. Just like the stroker example I tried to make. You'd likely have 2 grand tied up in 20 extra cubes. Not frikkin worth it.
Old 07-26-2009, 07:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
A competitent machine shop could stroke the stock crank probably farther than you think just with offset grinding. There's your crank. United Engine who makes the Keith Black piston line will make you any piston you want. All you gotta do is call. There's the pistons. I'm sure the stock rods are plenty strong enough. So there's your rods. Sonic checking the block will reveal how much of an overbore it will handle......probably not much. I would think .060 or .080 at the absolute max. Somebody get busy.

The cubic inch formula is as follows:

Bore X Bore X Stroke X .785 X number of cylinders.

The stock bore and stroke in inches is 3.78" for the bore and 3.43" for the stroke. Lets "assume" we can go .080" over with the block. Lets also assume we can get .125" extra stroke from the stock crank.....which is entirely possible for a GOOD machine shop. Lets see what we come up with.

We add the .080" to the stock bore and get. 3.86". We add the .125" (1/8") to the crank stroke and get 3.56.

So bore X bore (3.86 X 3.86) = 14.8996. Then, 14.8996 X a stroke of 3.56 = 53.042576. Then we take our given figure in the forumla (.785) and multiply that by 53.042576 to get 41.638422. Finally we multiply that figure by 6 (the number of cylinders to find we now hava a 249.83053 or a 250 cube V6. All that just to add twenty cubes. I suppose though, twenty cubes would cut lots of grass, wouldn't it?
Man you know how to burst somebodies bubble don't you? You're 100% correct. The 3.8 isn't a small block Chevy and can't be treated as one.
Old 07-26-2009, 08:18 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by chuck45
Man you know how to burst somebodies bubble don't you? You're 100% correct. The 3.8 isn't a small block Chevy and can't be treated as one.
I'm sorry. I was just tryin to be realistic. There are those who are gonna keep tryin no matter what to make power from 3.8 liters of 60 degree V6. It's just not in the cards. Now, it if were something close to the old 90 degree Buick 3.8L, that would be an ENTIRELY different ball game. You just cannot get people to see the difference between 60 VS 90 degrees. they just cannot get their heads around it. The 60 degree engine will just never, ever be what a comparable 90 degree engine will. It's almost like comparing a 2 stroke to a 4 stroke.
Old 07-26-2009, 08:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On that subject, GM stroked their 60* V6 from 2.8l to 3.1l and then to 3.4l with big power gains and good reliability.

Their only downfall was dexcool.
Old 07-26-2009, 08:47 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Atl JK
On that subject, GM stroked their 60* V6 from 2.8l to 3.1l and then to 3.4l with big power gains and good reliability.

Nope. Not from 2.8 to 3.1. No BIG power gains there, just small ones.. Now, from 3.1 to 3.4, your DAMN right, because they went from a single block mounted camshaft and 12 valves to dual overhead cams and 24 valves. You ain't gettin that by this white boy. I was workin for GM when ALL those engines came about.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Atl JK

I spent a lot of years in the retail and wholesale used car business. I never cared for ANY of the above motors and avoided them like th plague. The GM 3.8 I like, a lot. The rest of the above I would not own. My son was just looking at an old S10 Blazer that was in great shape. As soon as he said it had the 2.8 I told him to walk. The only GM V6's worth owning are the 3.8 and the 4.3.

I do agree about Dexcool - lousy stuff.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:21 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by chuck45
I spent a lot of years in the retail and wholesale used car business. I never cared for ANY of the above motors and avoided them like th plague. The GM 3.8 I like, a lot. The rest of the above I would not own. My son was just looking at an old S10 Blazer that was in great shape. As soon as he said it had the 2.8 I told him to walk. The only GM V6's worth owning are the 3.8 and the 4.3.

I do agree about Dexcool - lousy stuff.
Amen brother. The 2.8, 3.1 AND 3.4 ALL had trouble with intake gaskets leaking coolant into the oil. And, for whatever reason, all it takes is a SMALL amount and POOF rod bearings spin. Also, I never saw why the HELL GM EVER made an engine (3.4) where the FRAME had to be dropped AND an axle removed JUST to replace an alternator. STUPID STUPID STUPID.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
Amen brother. The 2.8, 3.1 AND 3.4 ALL had trouble with intake gaskets leaking coolant into the oil. And, for whatever reason, all it takes is a SMALL amount and POOF rod bearings spin. Also, I never saw why the HELL GM EVER made an engine (3.4) where the FRAME had to be dropped AND an axle removed JUST to replace an alternator. STUPID STUPID STUPID.
Yup! Any time somebody was looking to trade in any vehicle with one of those POS engines the first thing I did was pull the dipstick. I found a lot of "chocolate milk". I told anybody that had one to check their oil daily and not to even start it if they saw anything other than oil.

On the other hand I took 3.8 V6's in all the time with 250-300k on them. GM was/is as stupid as Jeep.

Quick Reply: 3.8L Stroker?