Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

3.8L Stroker?

Old 09-29-2009, 03:07 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you got good service out of a 2.8 GM V6, you were in the minority. That was one of GM's worst engines. From cracked blocks, to leaking intake gaskets, they had it all. I must admit though, I have seen one good one.
Old 09-29-2009, 04:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've seen quite a few. The Jeep 2.8ls sucked because GM sold them all of their defective blocks. Also, in '86, the first year of TBI for the GM trucks, they made a lot of internal improvements. They wouldn't have kept using the 60* V6 block on the 3.1l and 3.4l if they were so bad.

You just had to change the oil on schedule or they gunked up on you. Mine were nearly indestructible. The guy before me, on my second one, didn't change the oil and the valves were all caked up. I got most of it out with a shop vac and drove it like that for nearly another 100k miles before I sold it.
Old 10-01-2009, 04:28 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chewievette
Hello everyone, I just wanted to let you in on my little project. While its not for a Jeep, I thought you might still be interested.
Ok whats it going into ? And did it come out of there ? and if not why was it your choice ?
Old 10-21-2009, 02:18 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While on the topic of the 3.8, has anyone had any serious reliability problems with this engine like internal breakages, broken cranks, rocker pedestals, etc? I like to think that it is simple and reliable - am I kidding myself?
Old 10-21-2009, 05:03 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah. You are kiddin yourself. There are bunches with the ticking and or knocking. Mine had it. Kept gettin worse so I took it in. I had to have a new engine at 18K. Many other people also have.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by swordfish
While on the topic of the 3.8, has anyone had any serious reliability problems with this engine like internal breakages, broken cranks, rocker pedestals, etc? I like to think that it is simple and reliable - am I kidding myself?
You aren't kidding yourself. If you do some research on the 3.8l/3.3l you'll see that its build itself a strong reputation as a long lasting workhorse engine. I used to see tons of high mileage fleet 3.3l/3.8ls at auction that still ran great.

Redneck had a bad experience and is justifiably jaded towards the 3.8l.
Old 10-23-2009, 02:06 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
I'm sorry. I was just tryin to be realistic. There are those who are gonna keep tryin no matter what to make power from 3.8 liters of 60 degree V6. It's just not in the cards. Now, it if were something close to the old 90 degree Buick 3.8L, that would be an ENTIRELY different ball game. You just cannot get people to see the difference between 60 VS 90 degrees. they just cannot get their heads around it. The 60 degree engine will just never, ever be what a comparable 90 degree engine will. It's almost like comparing a 2 stroke to a 4 stroke.
The "old school" theory was that you take the 2 full revolutions of an 4-stroke engine cycle and divide it by the number of cylinders to get the cylinder bank angle. For 6 cylinders that works out to 120 deg, which is not practical so engine builders used half of that, although some may argue it was just to make a more compact engine.

Is 90 deg better because it closer to 120 deg angle?

Out of curiosity, is there a new theory or are engine builders just applying the much deeper knowledge base there is on V8s to v6s?

Quick Reply: 3.8L Stroker?