Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

33" versus 35" tires

Old 07-11-2015, 03:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had four JK's and have put well over 100k miles on the combination. All of them have been lifted to some degree, all have had stock tires that were upsized, some have used wheel spacers and some just changed wheels. I currently have an 08 Sahara with an auto, 373 gears, procal: 1.25" BL: and 33" BFG AT's. It's a jk and regularly gets 21 highway or 18-19 combined. I have a 14 JKURX with a whole lot more mods, 37's, Procal, auto, and 410 gearing that gets 15 in town and 17-18 highway.

With these and the miles put on my previous ones, mpg depends on gearing, driving style and gas more than anything else I've seen. For wear and tear, I've not had to replace BJ's or any other part in the steering due to the tire size and/or wheel spacers. The procal is not magic, it adjusts computer set points so that the jeep's computer believes that the factory parameters are still being met, this is the same for most of the programmers. Last thing, I've run more miles with 33's and 35's than stockers or 37's, so I have a fair baseline to base my info on.
Old 07-15-2015, 05:49 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by cg07sut
I've had four JK's and have put well over 100k miles on the combination. All of them have been lifted to some degree, all have had stock tires that were upsized, some have used wheel spacers and some just changed wheels. I currently have an 08 Sahara with an auto, 373 gears, procal: 1.25" BL: and 33" BFG AT's. It's a jk and regularly gets 21 highway or 18-19 combined. I have a 14 JKURX with a whole lot more mods, 37's, Procal, auto, and 410 gearing that gets 15 in town and 17-18 highway. With these and the miles put on my previous ones, mpg depends on gearing, driving style and gas more than anything else I've seen. For wear and tear, I've not had to replace BJ's or any other part in the steering due to the tire size and/or wheel spacers. The procal is not magic, it adjusts computer set points so that the jeep's computer believes that the factory parameters are still being met, this is the same for most of the programmers. Last thing, I've run more miles with 33's and 35's than stockers or 37's, so I have a fair baseline to base my info on.
Ok so quick question for you base on your experience: if I'm at 12.5mpg now with 33" tires and 1.75" lift, what do you think or could be my mpg with 35" tires combine with a flashpaq?
Old 07-15-2015, 06:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Replied with a couple bits of info and questions. A lot depends on the tire type, your gear ratio and your trans type. Other factors include hills and elevation, but I drive a lot thru many terrains and elevations from hilly ohio at elevation 1300 to Florida at El 5 and all points in between.
Old 07-16-2015, 05:56 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Don't expect anything more from a programmer then a fraction of a mile. Tire weight, gears, and THE WAY YOU DRIVE will be the big affects on mpg. I get 15 mpg all around driving (checking OD when I fill up) with 40's and 5.13 gears.
Old 07-16-2015, 06:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have a 3inch lift and 35s and I get about 12 to 14 mpg theres no way in gods great heaven you can get 18mpg highway with 37s. its like asking why cant alligators fly. now if you converted your jeep to diesel totally believable.
Old 07-16-2015, 05:45 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Don't expect anything more from a programmer then a fraction of a mile. Tire weight, gears, and THE WAY YOU DRIVE will be the big affects on mpg. I get 15 mpg all around driving (checking OD when I fill up) with 40's and 5.13 gears.
What a difference! You get 15mpg with 40's and I get 12mpg with 33's.....

Quick Reply: 33" versus 35" tires