Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

5.7 Hemi Engines

Old 07-20-2010, 10:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A complete DIY Hemi swap for 7000?! Holy crap... I'm in...
Old 07-28-2010, 10:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK-10SWR
Go check this site: "Burnsville Off Road" based on what I've read - looks like they've done more HEMI conversions than AEV.

They offer the 5.7 HEMI and go all the way up to the monster 7.2 HEMI. The price list blew me away - be sure that your sitting down.
This place is a couple miles from me, very good shop and do great work. Known for their swaps and Park Jeep send folks there for mods.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

is there any way to do a swap and still have a manual stick shift? or will the 6 speed not handle the power of a V-8 swap?

-Christopher
Old 07-29-2010, 07:37 AM
Former Member

Originally Posted by Lunatic Customs
I have some sources for motors and do swaps so if you need some help let me know

gerry
Can you tell Steve I need one in my two door?
Old 07-29-2010, 10:12 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JeepaRoo
is there any way to do a swap and still have a manual stick shift? or will the 6 speed not handle the power of a V-8 swap?

-Christopher
You can't keep the stock 6-speed, but there are shops out there that are putting in the Dodge Ram manual transmission.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:03 PM
JK Newbie

So i have found a few complete take outs, right now its between a 40k mile take out and a 10k mile take out. price difference of $950.

I joined and asked this on the LX forum and got no response. I guess they are a little snobier over there.

My question now is, what are the weak points on the 5.7l and the 5-45 auto trans. I would like to address these issues now while the engine will be out. I am not really looking for performance, just reliability. If some gains come with it thats all the better
Old 08-03-2010, 07:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nycauburn
So i have found a few complete take outs, right now its between a 40k mile take out and a 10k mile take out. price difference of $950.

I joined and asked this on the LX forum and got no response. I guess they are a little snobier over there.

My question now is, what are the weak points on the 5.7l and the 5-45 auto trans. I would like to address these issues now while the engine will be out. I am not really looking for performance, just reliability. If some gains come with it thats all the better
if you are buying an LX motor, I assume you understand the challenges of using that engine with the most popular conversion kits...............As for durability, that is harder to answer. It is not a popular motor for hot rodders (like an LS1 or LS2) so there are not a lot of people pushing them to the limit. I have read that the pistons are like glass under any significant boost, but that is about it. Once you start tearing it apart, where do you stop? As for the 545 trans, it is used in the Ram trucks, so it must be fairly stout. You might want to upgrade the torque converter to a Ram truck unit, but other than that, I think they are pretty stout.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drop $20K and ship it to one of the companies doing the swap outs. I know there is a company in Texas and missouri doing the swap out. Only issue is the cost.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

yeah, i died when i say the conversion prices...
Old 08-04-2010, 05:13 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by therza
if you are buying an LX motor, I assume you understand the challenges of using that engine with the most popular conversion kits...............As for durability, that is harder to answer. It is not a popular motor for hot rodders (like an LS1 or LS2) so there are not a lot of people pushing them to the limit. I have read that the pistons are like glass under any significant boost, but that is about it. Once you start tearing it apart, where do you stop? As for the 545 trans, it is used in the Ram trucks, so it must be fairly stout. You might want to upgrade the torque converter to a Ram truck unit, but other than that, I think they are pretty stout.
What Challenges are you talking about?

Quick Reply: 5.7 Hemi Engines