Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

5.7 Hemi Engines

Old 07-12-2010, 10:17 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.7 Hemi Engines

So, I am in the middle of fighting Chrysler for a new engine. But in the mean time i am making plans for a worst case scenario.

Does anybody have any recomondations for finding 5.7 hemi and Auto trans? It does not need to be new.

Thanks in Advance
Shawn
Old 07-12-2010, 04:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by nycauburn
So, I am in the middle of fighting Chrysler for a new engine. But in the mean time i am making plans for a worst case scenario.

Does anybody have any recomondations for finding 5.7 hemi and Auto trans? It does not need to be new.

Thanks in Advance
Shawn
Wish I could help, did you blow your motor up at 40000 like all the others?
Old 07-12-2010, 05:12 PM
JK Newbie

yep, been fighting them for two months. They havent even really determined exactly whats wrong because the are unwilling to. They checked the oil at first and said it was black (changed two weeks prior) and thats all they did for a month. Then after fighting enough they "said" they were going to get the oil sent to a lab. They did not. They found metal shavings in the oil. Then they said they put a chemical in and found a small amount of sludge. Because there is a small amount of sludge they are denying the claim. I gave them service records with all synthetic oil changes and enough of them. One of the changes though firestone put 52k instead of 32k and everytime i have to show them. I asked what would cause sludge and he said only lack of service nothing else. I showed my service records and they said it didnt matter because sludge. I also noted that chrysler and several others had settled lawsuits about their engines causing sludge. so there are other reasons. So having to finally break out the lawyer and bring the artillery.

They have been very unreasonable in the whole matter and has absolutely made me never purchase a chrysler product ever again. I sold my perfectly good TJ Rubicon that was built for this because of the lifetime waranty.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:13 PM
JK Newbie

Oh and sorry for the long post i didnt even really say it all but its been bad
Old 07-12-2010, 05:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by nycauburn
Oh and sorry for the long post i didnt even really say it all but its been bad
What a freaking crock of shit. There is a dealer down here in Columbus, GA that is pretty reasonable and have treated me well. Wonder if you would get better service from a different dealer?
Old 07-13-2010, 12:31 PM
JK Freak

Jeep Speed Shop is doing Hemi conversions using the truck 5.7L. They have their own kit and can get you the engine and trans.

Google Jeep Speed Shop - they also have a Chevy LS1 conversion.

JD
Old 07-13-2010, 07:13 PM
JK Junkie

Wow, their prices are really low compared to other conversions. Parts and labor for about 10.5k? Really cheap, wonder if they hold up well and are reliable. Time to start begging for some more mod money
Old 07-15-2010, 03:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Go check this site: "Burnsville Off Road" based on what I've read - looks like they've done more HEMI conversions than AEV.

They offer the 5.7 HEMI and go all the way up to the monster 7.2 HEMI. The price list blew me away - be sure that your sitting down.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:51 AM
JK Newbie

I will be doing the swap myself. I am/was looking for a place to find a 5.7 Hemi that is not from Chrysler. And i did, I am a consultant for insurance companies and asked the auto guys and they gave me a couple of great places they source their parts from. Looks like i will probably be going with a 2008 5.7 lx take out with Auto trans. not to bad of a deal. Only 12k miles on it for $3250. That with the AEV kit and i am looking anywhere from 7500-9000 for the swap.

I could of dropped a new 3.8 back in for well under 2k, but i am looking at it like this. If i put the new 3.8 in. I am out the price of the engine and the deminshed value. I wont get as much for the vehicle since it has a replacement engine. But if i can drop a hemi in it, i will probably be able to recoup most of money when/ if i decide to sell it.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got my 6.1 Hemi and A580 trans from LKQ. Had it shipped to me from Cali. Came out of a side impacted, totalled '08 Grand Cherokee SRT8 with 8k miles if I remember correctly. Got a REAL good deal on it with all the front engine accessories on it and everything. Even the PCM. Only issue I have right now is how to actually use the A580. I'm not doing the swap on mine until it's possible to use the A580 trans. Don't want to use the 5R45 behind it. You won't have to worry about any of that with the 5.7 though. Good luck with the swap.

Quick Reply: 5.7 Hemi Engines