Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

AEV Snorkel w/ pre filter

Old 02-28-2011, 07:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wanted to do an update for anyone interested. I know there's a lot of talk on the forums that the prefilter reduces your gas mileage all I can say is that is not the case for me. Before the installation I was getting 14-15 mpg in city, 14-16.5 highway and 8-10 or less off road. Now I'm getting 17-18.9 in city, 20-22.4 highway and 15-16 offroad! A drastic improvement! You might be thinking that I tried driving better than I usually do, but I can assure you it was the opposite, I like the sound of the prefilter breathing so much that I'm always tapping the gas to make it kick in even when going 20 in a neighborhood. I hope I get tired of that soon, but I doubt it. I am 100% confident that I could get 25+ out of my jeep on a long (3+ hours) trip. Anyone with the ram air tip care to chime in? I'm interested in your gains. It seems to me that the ram air would get even better mpgs.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:19 PM
him
JK Enthusiast

Those MPG numbers are amazingly better than anything I've ever seen from my JKU ... but the snorkel doesn't seem to have hurt MPG at all.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

i want to do this, but i really dont want to chop up my hood, id hate to put it on and for whatever reason not like it
Old 03-03-2011, 06:27 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rusman161
I wanted to do an update for anyone interested. I know there's a lot of talk on the forums that the prefilter reduces your gas mileage all I can say is that is not the case for me. Before the installation I was getting 14-15 mpg in city, 14-16.5 highway and 8-10 or less off road. Now I'm getting 17-18.9 in city, 20-22.4 highway and 15-16 offroad! A drastic improvement! You might be thinking that I tried driving better than I usually do, but I can assure you it was the opposite, I like the sound of the prefilter breathing so much that I'm always tapping the gas to make it kick in even when going 20 in a neighborhood. I hope I get tired of that soon, but I doubt it. I am 100% confident that I could get 25+ out of my jeep on a long (3+ hours) trip. Anyone with the ram air tip care to chime in? I'm interested in your gains. It seems to me that the ram air would get even better mpgs.
My ram air...with my set-up, 3" lift, LoD bumpers, winch, Ram-air snorkel, AFe Drop-in, Tow Tune, 33's, 3:73, 6spd. I am getting a steady 17-19MPG city and 19-22MPG highway.

When I was stock no weight, 32's, stock filter & No superchips I was getting about 17-18MPG city and 21-24MPG Highway.

When I added weight, 33's, lift, accessories & AirRaid CAI system with superchips I was getting 16-18mpg city and 18-20MPG Highway.

With the Ram Air snorkel and AFe drop-in increased my mileage to approx. 2MPG over the AirRaid CAI (warm air intake).
Old 03-04-2011, 11:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So i replaced the Ram air with the fish bowl, and you werent kidding it looks goofy as hell without cutting it. Anyone know if the ram air still works correctly after cutting the top of the snorkel off?

edit: Never mind found a reply on AEV forum from AEV Dave saying "Yes, it will work fine. If you're concerned about water (like you live in the tropics) you may want to have an exhaust shop make a little extension for you to replicate what you cut off. Should take about 5 min and cost about $5, just a pc of tubing that's flared to fit over the snorkel end and under the air ram.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	snorkel1.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	133605   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	133606  

Last edited by Croce; 03-04-2011 at 12:00 PM.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hahahaha I liked the fish in there. I'm thinking about some LEDs and a Coleman sticker.

I tried putting the bowl on there without cutting but it was just too goofy. I went ahead and made the cut. Did you notice a differece in gas mileage when you put it on? I'm guessing you didn't leave it like that for long lol
Old 03-04-2011, 01:05 PM
JK Freak

whyd u say it looks goofy?
can u paint it all black or something?
im looking at the aev with either the prefilter or the air ram i just cant decide
Old 03-04-2011, 01:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Rusman161
Hahahaha I liked the fish in there. I'm thinking about some LEDs and a Coleman sticker.

I tried putting the bowl on there without cutting but it was just too goofy. I went ahead and made the cut. Did you notice a differece in gas mileage when you put it on? I'm guessing you didn't leave it like that for long lol
Thanks my fiance told me she wont be seen in the Jeep if i keep that fish there. i thought it looked kinda cool imo Anyways im gunna keep it, maybe even put a spare fishing lure in there

Originally Posted by LaxAHolic
whyd u say it looks goofy?
can u paint it all black or something?
im looking at the aev with either the prefilter or the air ram i just cant decide

Only reason it looks goofy is because its not flush with the snorkel, theres a good 2" gap. whereas the ram air sits flush so im gunna go cut it shortly and ill post a pic so you can see the difference
Old 03-04-2011, 01:19 PM
JK Freak

okay, thanks. so which head would u go with? i have a black sahara unlimited
Old 03-04-2011, 01:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by LaxAHolic
okay, thanks. so which head would u go with? i have a black sahara unlimited
I think the ram air looks best with a black wrangler. Only reason im switchin to the pre-filt is because im moving to Phoenix next week and it will be alot better with the dust
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1069294894.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	133630   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1566.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	133632  

Quick Reply: AEV Snorkel w/ pre filter