Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Aluminum-bodied Jeep build...... for my son.

Old 06-03-2014, 06:50 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aluminum-bodied Jeep build...... for my son.

SOOOOO, I tend to overdo things. I wanted to get a wagon to pull my son around (this was last summer, he was 6 mos old). Wasn't satisfied with the standard Radio Flyer. A LIFTED Radio Flyer! That's it! So I had an Amish buggy shop build a chassis for me with 13" tires instead of 6"ers. Halfway there!!! Then after weeks and weeks of looking, couldn't find a wagon tub to put on it (wasn't going to buy a whole new wagon just for the tub). And by then I had decided it would need Jeep fenders too.... and a paintjob.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4640.jpg
Views:	665
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	557481
The chassis as it came from the Amish buggy shop.

So i decided I'd just make a wagon tub if I couldn't find one. I had these side panels from a specially-built modular telephone switch case. I can just use that. Couple of notches, bend the sides up and add end pieces... easy peasy!

Name:	IMG_4658.jpg
Views:	612
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	557482

There was a lot of toe-out so I gave it adjustable steering arms. Now the toe is perfect, and the Ackerman is right.

Name:	IMG_0219.jpg
Views:	549
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	557483

Easy peasy........WRONG WRONG WRONG!! This is the result of a night in the garage with the music blasting and a couple beers. No more simple tub. I found 5 commercial kitchen sheet pans I saved from the recycle bin. I cut two to leave the sides and no rim, and one to use only the side and rim. So at thos point there is a floor, a top rim (a la half doors) and a basic shape idea mocked up in cardboard. Did I mention I overdo things? There was actually a lot of work to get it to this point. Subtle reshaping of the rounded pan corners and setting the right proportions for everything.

Name:	IMG_0217.jpg
Views:	552
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	557478Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0220.jpg
Views:	475
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	557479

That's all for tonite.... I gotta find the latest pictures amongst the thousands of photos on the computer. Stay tuned.
Old 06-04-2014, 03:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

freaking awesome can't wait to see the finished product!!!:t humbsup:
Old 06-04-2014, 03:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Your kids going to have the coolest wagon in town!

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk
Old 06-04-2014, 05:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

One lucky son and an awesome dad!
Old 06-09-2014, 06:15 PM
JK Newbie

Default Update. It's maiden voyage!

Been a few days since I opened this thread so here's the first update. We had a weekend of Jeep Jams planned so I HAD to have it ready to roll. I stayed up til 3:30AM and got it to a presentable condition. Replaced the Clecos with enough rivets to hold it together. Fit the lights in it, fabbed the grill and installed, and bolted it to the chassis. It had to have a seat so I quick built up a bomber seat, made mounts and installed it. Came out better than I expected for a quickie. It even folds flat for packing it in the JK. btw... it BARELY fits into the back. Lucky for me.

Name:	IMG_1330.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	558684Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1868.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	558682Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1869.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	558683Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1883.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	558685

It was a BIG hit at Adams' Jeep Jam. Took us an hour to go about 50 yards. It pulled great and Zane loved riding in it. From the feedback I got, I am pretty much convinced I need to just build another one to sell. I already have 2 or 3 other versions built in my head. Hope to finish this one up very soon. I'll keep the updates coming.

I appreciate the compliments, Thanks ya'll!
Old 06-09-2014, 07:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

That is literally the most bad ass wagon EVER. My year and a half old son would love that! Mount a steering wheel/horn so he can have some fun..

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
Old 06-10-2014, 05:57 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ob269
That is literally the most bad ass wagon EVER. My year and a half old son would love that! Mount a steering wheel/horn so he can have some fun..

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
Thanks! My son is the same age and he loves it so far. Steering wheel will probably happen, ...but no horn! I love my son and I don't want that to change. haha There are already enuf things in this house for him to make noise. Besides, his Mega-Blocks Jeep already has a horn, radio, and starter noises.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:50 PM
JK Newbie

I know... it's been waaaaaay too long since I updated this. The summer has got in the way. I finally got fenders on the Jeep and we had the chance to take it out again last night. My plastic fender idea didn't hold up to my scrutiny so I ended up fabbing flat fenders from aluminum with the same rolled edges as the body top edge. They are Cleco'd on now as I will be painting them black, and the body blue before they are permanently attached. I'm working on the brakes and new handle now.

Of course now it doesn't fit into the back of the JKU. The top had to come off and it barely fits onto my cargo rack. I'll be doing a wheelchair-sized hitch carrier for it. It certainly got a lot of attention sticking up on the back of it's big brother.

Name:	IMG_3092.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	573769Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3095.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	573770Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3103.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	573771
Old 08-31-2014, 06:59 PM
JK Freak

for cool factor, and these are mearly suggestions, how about a steering wheel pinned to the dash for something to pretend he is driving it with as you pull? also, how about painting it blue like dads/moms?

and maybe make him little vanity plates with his first name for his jeep?

ps, this kid is gonna grow up wantin a jeep now that he has this one for his wagon, 6 months old or not, hes gonna remember that grill and big tires.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:44 PM
JK Newbie

I had planned on a steering wheel for him if I can find a good one. Still debating a windshield and a folding soft top. It will be Cosmos Blue just like ours. (well, as close as I can get) I am also going to have beadlock rings cut for the wheels and put 'lug bolts' in them. They will be plasticoated black. The details I could do are endless.

I've also got planned, in my head, other versions and models of Jeep and Willys. I just need to justify building more of them. Everyone says I should build and sell them.

Oh, and I have little Maryland plates and the letters already. Found them at Wally World, they're made for bikes and Power Wheels cars.

Last edited by JKosmos; 08-31-2014 at 07:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Aluminum-bodied Jeep build...... for my son.