Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Any way to beat the sales tax on a new vehicle with a trade or out of state purchase?

Old 07-13-2010, 05:59 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any way to beat the sales tax on a new vehicle with a trade or out of state purchase?

Is there anyway to beat the sales tax?

I read "the trade-in value of your used car will reduce the taxable amount of your new car purchase by the value of your used car trade-in."

What does that mean?
Old 07-13-2010, 06:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dont know the tax percentage in ny, you can try to buy it with an out of state address. thats how i did it.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ECHO
For example

New JK - $30,000

Trade-in -$10,000

Taxable amount for new JK - $20,000
What he said.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:10 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Pluke the 2
i dont know the tax percentage in ny, you can try to buy it with an out of state address. thats how i did it.
I live in NY, the jeep I want is in a dealership in CT....anyway I can beat the sales tax that way?
Old 07-13-2010, 06:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stormcooker
I live in NY, the jeep I want is in a dealership in CT....anyway I can beat the sales tax that way?
Don't know what you mean by "beat the sales tax"? Whenever you register your vehicle in your home state you have to pay the tax. For all of the vehicles I've bought out of state, the dealership finds out the sales tax rate of where I live and apply that to the purchase price, then cut me a check for the tax (after I've technically just paid them for it). I then turn around and pay that tax in my home state when I register the vehicle and get my tag.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:18 AM
JK Newbie

Unless.... they are close enough to the NY border and they are allowed to do a NY registration for you, based on NY taxes..

Does that mean I don't pay sales tax or they just add on NY sales tax in CT?
Old 07-13-2010, 06:19 AM
JK Newbie

you can't beat the sales tax, you will pay it in one way or another, how depends on the state. Here, if you buy out of state, you will not pay tax in that state, but you will pay the tax in full when you buy your tag, which hurts trust me. I bought a motorcycle out of state and had to pay $900 for the tag to cover the sales tax.

Trending Topics

Old 07-13-2010, 06:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stormcooker
Unless.... they are close enough to the NY border and they are allowed to do a NY registration for you, based on NY taxes..

Does that mean I don't pay sales tax or they just add on NY sales tax in CT?
You will pay it one way or the other. It ultimately goes to your home state when you register the vehicle. You can either pay it to the dealer (roll it into your note) and they will cut you a check for it, that you can then pay when you register at home. Or they won't roll it into your note and you'll be responsible for coming up with it on your own when you register.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ColdBrew
you can't beat the sales tax, you will pay it in one way or another, how depends on the state. Here, if you buy out of state, you will not pay tax in that state, but you will pay the tax in full when you buy your tag, which hurts trust me. I bought a motorcycle out of state and had to pay $900 for the tag to cover the sales tax.
I hate the registration tax in Miss. It's always sucks after getting a new vehicle, you pay an arm and a leg to register it - every year. Much simpler in Florida, but our property taxes are higher. They get you one way or the other.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Last years tax credit bill gave back all sales tax spent on new vehicles purchased after 2/009....not sure how long that tax credit is or was good for....but I sure did enjoy being able to right off all of my sales tax on a new vehicle purchase last summer.

Quick Reply: Any way to beat the sales tax on a new vehicle with a trade or out of state purchase?