Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Bikini, Windjammer, Duster Ideas and Pics

Old 04-11-2010, 11:25 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bikini, Windjammer, Duster Ideas and Pics

Hey, I'm really thinking about getting a bikini, windjammer, and duster setup for my 07 2dr JK. Could I please get some feedback on everyone's opinion on this as well as anyone's experiences with it. Pictures would be awesome too. Thanks! Getting ready to get naked up here in Alaska! We haven't hit 50, but if I wake up and it's 45, I'm doing it.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:42 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

This is my favorite configuration of the Jeep. While it sounds like a pretty straight-forward, "do it!", in fact there are a variety of manufacturers, configurations, options, and complications. I strongly encourage you to do a search, but here's one to help you out (I'm using Google since the forum's search engine seems to not be working--no hits on "safari+top"--LOL). ...

Google "safari top site:jk-forum.com" Search Results

And some pic's. There are three different configurations of tops shown below. A little searching on your part will help you to understand why this issue is actually pretty complicated, and then you can pose some more specific questions ...

This is a modified two door Wraparound Windjammer on a 4 door Jeep ...

This is a Windjammer on a four door. It is not a Wraparound Windjammer.

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 04-12-2010 at 02:45 AM.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:13 AM
JK Newbie

Okay, so the wraparound leaves no gaps between the top and itself? It looks like it covers the soundbar too. Is that correct? Also, I think I'm going to install one of those big Tuffy security boxes in the "bed" of the Jeep when I do this set up. That should fit under the dusters just fine from what I've seen. I wish more people on here had pictures of this set up. I know it doesn't cost a ton, but still, just want to make sure before I go ahead and order it. Am I right in assuming that it should be easy to switch out bikini tops when I want to, for example the mesh top, the regular top, the safari top that covers the back too...
Old 04-13-2010, 03:02 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by AKJeeper
Okay, so the wraparound leaves no gaps between the top and itself? It looks like it covers the soundbar too. Is that correct? Also, I think I'm going to install one of those big Tuffy security boxes in the "bed" of the Jeep when I do this set up. That should fit under the dusters just fine from what I've seen. I wish more people on here had pictures of this set up. I know it doesn't cost a ton, but still, just want to make sure before I go ahead and order it. Am I right in assuming that it should be easy to switch out bikini tops when I want to, for example the mesh top, the regular top, the safari top that covers the back too...
In order to use the Wraparound Windjammer with a two door, you need an additional item--the sound bar cover. The Duster fits snugly and evenly with the top of the tub. So, anything that is below that plane will be below the Duster. There are tons of pictures on this forum of various combos of the Safari Top, et al. Now that I've figured out our new search engine, I suggest that you try here ...

JK-Forum.com "safari and top" Search Results

Ease of switching out tops is a relative thing. If I needed to do that, say safari top to softtop, I'd plan an hour for the work. I'd likely be done a bit before that.

BTW: Do you know what the difference is between the Mopar Sunbonnet hardtop version, Mopar Sunbonnet softtop version, and the Bestop Safari Top? If not, you should learn before spending any money. The answers are in that search above.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:16 AM
JK Newbie

Is there a difference between a 2009 and earlier and 2010 Sunbonnets? I have read that Best Tops Bikinis are different when going with the Soft Top version. My Sahara came in and I can see your combo on it Mark. I just want to get it water resistant for summer use so I can leave the Hard Top Off. Looks like it totals up to around $800 for the three covers and all the sourounds and tailgate bar.

jjw
ND
Old 04-13-2010, 11:04 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by jweigel
... My Sahara came in and I can see your combo on it Mark. I just want to get it water resistant for summer use so I can leave the Hard Top Off. ...
Two door or four door? Four door is not very water tight with just the Windjammer. That's why folks are kludging the two door Wraparound Windjammer onto four doors.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:55 PM
JK Newbie

Its a 4Dr. That is why I am leaning on going with the door surrounds and a soft top sunbonnet. Would this coupled with the duster and 2DR wraparound make it water resistant??

jjw
ND
Old 04-14-2010, 02:07 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Probably. As I mentioned above, RescueX had it--he took the Wraparound Windjammer to an upholstery shop and they added some fabric. He said he was dry even in the worst rain. But, he eventually sold off the gear because his rear visibility was hampered too much. There are also threads on this forum where folks have used an unmodified two door Wraparound Windjammer and just stretched it to fit a four door. Obviously, it must go, but I haven't seen one of these up close and personal. I thought RescueX's rig looked great, BTW.

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 04-14-2010 at 02:11 AM.

Quick Reply: Bikini, Windjammer, Duster Ideas and Pics