Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

"Bolt-on Build" of the Baja Banshee

Old 06-29-2012, 07:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by StrizzyChris
Made a stop yesterday in my "research" for the 1-ton axles I am going to use. That visit was at a little shop some of you guys might have heard of called Dynatrac.

Man those are pretty! Can't wait to see the completed build.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

i found with the plastic screws all i had to do was pull up a little while using my drill and they came right out.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by buddyhydro
Man those are pretty! Can't wait to see the completed build.
You arent kiddin! I just wanted to snuggle up with them. I know I spoke to you about axle's at one of the Suds-n-grub's. Didnt I see somewhere that you were going with Dynatrac 60's front and rear?

Originally Posted by awinski
i found with the plastic screws all i had to do was pull up a little while using my drill and they came right out.
most of mine did as well. there were a couple that gave me a fight. what bumper did you go with?
Old 06-29-2012, 09:15 PM
JK Newbie

Nice thread. Look forward to it.

I'm curious-what level of mechanic would you say you are? I'm kinda doing the same thing (but without your forethought in theory and planning) and I'm trying to gauge my skill level to what I want to do. There's a good garage nearby that can help me though. When I was a teenager I rebuilt multiple muscle cars with my friends but that was 20 yrs ago so my skills have been kind of lost, and my ability to commit time because of family and work is much tougher. Also, the main difference with muscle cars that were 20-30 yrs old 20 yrs ago was that lifts, axles, and offroading things, etc, are not exactly the same skill set as engine and body work, trans (always shipped out to my friends uncle), and throwing on wheels and tires that we worked on. I've bored out a couple of engines, but never put a long arm lift on a 69 Camaro...
Old 06-29-2012, 10:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sq-pa
Nice thread. Look forward to it.

I'm curious-what level of mechanic would you say you are? I'm kinda doing the same thing (but without your forethought in theory and planning) and I'm trying to gauge my skill level to what I want to do. There's a good garage nearby that can help me though. When I was a teenager I rebuilt multiple muscle cars with my friends but that was 20 yrs ago so my skills have been kind of lost, and my ability to commit time because of family and work is much tougher. Also, the main difference with muscle cars that were 20-30 yrs old 20 yrs ago was that lifts, axles, and offroading things, etc, are not exactly the same skill set as engine and body work, trans (always shipped out to my friends uncle), and throwing on wheels and tires that we worked on. I've bored out a couple of engines, but never put a long arm lift on a 69 Camaro...
If I had to rate myself on skill level as a mechanic, I would give myself as a C or C+ which is why I am doing this thread. I have been thinking, planning, researching andd then re-planning this build since last July. I wanted this to be of the highest quality products I could wrangle up and do it myself. I flirted with the shop installed weld on kits, but they are outside of my needs and intended purpose. I dont plan on doing any dessert racing any time soon. My whole life I have done basic carborator rebuilds, change out alternators and power steering pumps, and other repairs of that level. Never bored out an engine!

I plan to give in depth details of the installs I perform with many photos and possibly even youtube video's as reference to help people with these same or similar installs. I am really looking forward to this andd think it will be a lot of fun to do, as well as get others input!
Old 06-29-2012, 10:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

most of mine did as well. there were a couple that gave me a fight. what bumper did you go with?
having a custom front, rear, rockers and tire carrier built by my local shop while i am in the bahamas next week, droped her off yesterday, leave for the airport in 45min haha. can't wait to get back and see her
Old 06-30-2012, 07:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

You arent kiddin! I just wanted to snuggle up with them. I know I spoke to you about axle's at one of the Suds-n-grub's. Didnt I see somewhere that you were going with Dynatrac 60's front and rear?

We hung out at one of the Suds and Grub. I haven't been back since that time, just been a bit busy. Yeah, I ended up going with the Dynatrac front and rear. I think they said 8 weeks. Once we're both done, we should hit something up together.

I saw you got your rims and tires. I upgraded to 8 lug from the 5 lug (still 17" slabs). I would love a set of Trail Grapplers in 40s but I don't think I can get a set. At least I know the KOH Trail Grapplers aren't for sale to consumers. Since the Trail Grapplers aren't available, I'll probably go with the 40x13.50 Toyo's like you since I'm going with 17" again.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:36 PM
JK Newbie

If I had to rate myself on skill level as a mechanic, I would give myself as a C or C+ which is why I am doing this thread. I have been thinking, planning, researching andd then re-planning this build since last July. I wanted this to be of the highest quality products I could wrangle up and do it myself. I flirted with the shop installed weld on kits, but they are outside of my needs and intended purpose. I dont plan on doing any dessert racing any time soon. My whole life I have done basic carborator rebuilds, change out alternators and power steering pumps, and other repairs of that level. Never bored out an engine!

I plan to give in depth details of the installs I perform with many photos and possibly even youtube video's as reference to help people with these same or similar installs. I am really looking forward to this andd think it will be a lot of fun to do, as well as get others input!
Thanks. Looking forward to your build. Good luck!
Old 07-06-2012, 07:44 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks. Looking forward to your build. Good luck!
And by the way, a bunch of stoned 17-18 yr olds boring out a 396 was probably not a brilliant idea and I may be exaggerating by saying "I" did it because it was 3 of us with close supervision from my friend's uncle who built pro level race cars... But after we were done with that 69 Camaro SS the thing would burn rubber for about 100 yards downhill in the winter. I think we measured her to about 450. We also dropped a big block into a 71 SS Nova that we couldn't actually get to move once there was a drop of water on the road because it just spun. Loved those cars. After a Jeep build, I'm buying another muscle car and prettying her up.

Again, good luck.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

And by the way, a bunch of stoned 17-18 yr olds boring out a 396 was probably not a brilliant idea and I may be exaggerating by saying "I" did it because it was 3 of us with close supervision from my friend's uncle who built pro level race cars... But after we were done with that 69 Camaro SS the thing would burn rubber for about 100 yards downhill in the winter. I think we measured her to about 450. We also dropped a big block into a 71 SS Nova that we couldn't actually get to move once there was a drop of water on the road because it just spun. Loved those cars. After a Jeep build, I'm buying another muscle car and prettying her up.

Again, good luck.
haha My job does frequent drug screenings so no getting stoned for this guy....but a tasty brew is ALWAYS in the fridge ready to inspire me!

Quick Reply: "Bolt-on Build" of the Baja Banshee