Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Custom modular JK hardtop

Old 06-02-2017, 05:31 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

I got some time to start work on the fridge slide/kitchen project yesterday so I made up brackets and a tray to mount the fridge on top of the slides. The fridge and drawer under it operate separately. It's easiest to show with a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGgpUdVHLIQ I still need to cut some tie-down slots into the sides of the tray for securing the fridge, and the tray needs to be painted, that's next, along with prototyping the the fold-down table ideas.

Maybe could also include a kitchen sink in the plan, I picked this one up the other day when I was in the RV Capital of the World...

Old 06-02-2017, 10:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those Stainless Hinges would be gorgeous Clear Coated. Jewelry for the JK !
Useful products coming out soon, saving for them !
Old 06-06-2017, 02:32 AM
JK Super Freak

I've posted about the conversion of a factory hardtop to modular earlier in this thread, and I've been playing with it some more lately... last fall I picked up an accident-damaged 2dr hardtop and over the past few days I repaired the roof panel of that second hardtop and added another feature. Here's a modular hardtop assembled with the new roof panel...

Old 06-06-2017, 02:34 AM
JK Super Freak

With Freedom Panels.

Old 06-06-2017, 04:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What a great transformation for 2 dr Hard Tops.
Add the side sliders, and it's become light, airy, perfect for dogs, camping !
Hard Tops just got a new lease on life !
Old 06-06-2017, 06:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Four Low
What a great transformation for 2 dr Hard Tops.
Add the side sliders, and it's become light, airy, perfect for dogs, camping !
Hard Tops just got a new lease on life !
I totally second that! Havn a 2 door myself, I'd love to see this come to market. It really opens up the 2 door and in my opinion, makes it more appealing to those wanting a JK over a JKU. WOW!
Old 06-06-2017, 06:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jscherb
I've posted about the conversion of a factory hardtop to modular earlier in this thread, and I've been playing with it some more lately... last fall I picked up an accident-damaged 2dr hardtop and over the past few days I repaired the roof panel of that second hardtop and added another feature. Here's a modular hardtop assembled with the new roof panel...

Man, you just keep making things better and better! Question, I've always heard that the tops/roofs on convertibles adds to the rigidity of the body..kinda like structure support I suppose. Does this apply to the Jeep since it has a full frame or is that mainly an issue with unibody vehicles? I'm absolutely loving your creations/ideas. I'm chomping at the bit now waiting for the rear sliders to come on sale. This too would be a must have! This, the rear sliders and the Webasto Throwback(added pics) I just installed would totally complete my JK and provide everything I'm looking for with my hardtop! Please tell me you have a DIY kit coming out for this?!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20170603_153616.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	1.61 MB
ID:	672294   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170603_153630.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	672295  
Old 06-06-2017, 08:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 2qik2see
Man, you just keep making things better and better! Question, I've always heard that the tops/roofs on convertibles adds to the rigidity of the body..kinda like structure support I suppose. Does this apply to the Jeep since it has a full frame or is that mainly an issue with unibody vehicles? I'm absolutely loving your creations/ideas. I'm chomping at the bit now waiting for the rear sliders to come on sale. This too would be a must have! This, the rear sliders and the Webasto Throwback(added pics) I just installed would totally complete my JK and provide everything I'm looking for with my hardtop! Please tell me you have a DIY kit coming out for this?!
Thanks .

Hardtops add no rigidity to the Jeep, in fact they're intended to flex with the Jeep.

I don't have any plans at this point to turn these skylights into a DIY kit, this is just something I wanted to try since I've got these extra modular hardtop parts lying around begging me to do something interesting with them .

The 2dr slider window kit is in the hands of the hardware company and the RV window company now; I heard from the hardware company that they're scheduled to ship preproduction retrofit kits to me and the RV window company on June 16, so that's moving right along.
Old 06-06-2017, 08:15 AM
JK Super Freak

And speaking of modular hardtop parts lying around...

All of the modular factory hardtop parts I've made so far are interchangeable - now I've got two modular roof panels, more than 4 modular side panels, and one modular back panel. I do have one more back panel that was cut off the second hardtop - all I have to do is add bolt flanges to it and I'll have enough modular parts to assemble two complete hardtops. I'll probably add bolt flanges to that last panel soon (it's the one without the liftgate, might need to mold another barn door to go with that one because I don't have a glass liftgate for it).

My JK is a 4-door, so the only action these hardtops will see for now is being set up in the spare room :(.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Again, great info jscherb..Thx! I've been checking with Retrofit on the rear slider ETA..it won't be too much longer! Can the materials for your skylight idea be purchased from an RV dealer/shop?

Quick Reply: Custom modular JK hardtop