Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Custom modular JK hardtop

Old 07-16-2017, 11:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jscherb
Thank you and thanks for the input.

Current status of the 2dr factory hardtop slider window kit: Two weeks ago I received a preproduction retrofit kit from the manufacturer and I've signed off on it for production. I expect to hear any day now from the window company that they've got a preproduction slider window ready for my sign-off. Once I sign off on the slider window it should only be a short time before the full kit is available for purchase.
WOOOOHOOO!!! I got 2 buddies wantn them as well. Great work/ideas. Really inspiring..THX!
Old 07-19-2017, 12:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Since my Safari Cab hardtop doesn't accept Freedom Panels, today my friend Donny and I tried a prototype skylight panel in his Jeep. He's got a Gobi rack on his Jeep, so it was also to see how the openable skylights would work with the rack (answer: just fine).

In this photo he's reaching up to open the skylight:

A view from the driver's seat.

The prototype is tinted the same as the factory tint on the hardtop windows; Donny and I thought for Florida at least (where Donny lives) a darker tint would be a good idea, as would be a fabric shade of some sort to keep the sun from beating in when it's not wanted. I think for where I am in upstate NY the current tint would be nice, but definitely a darker tint for the hot zones. I'll sew a prototype shade when I get back to my sewing machine.
Old 07-20-2017, 05:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Since my Safari Cab hardtop doesn't accept Freedom Panels, today my friend Donny and I tried a prototype skylight panel in his Jeep. He's got a Gobi rack on his Jeep, so it was also to see how the openable skylights would work with the rack (answer: just fine).

In this photo he's reaching up to open the skylight:

A view from the driver's seat.

The prototype is tinted the same as the factory tint on the hardtop windows; Donny and I thought for Florida at least (where Donny lives) a darker tint would be a good idea, as would be a fabric shade of some sort to keep the sun from beating in when it's not wanted. I think for where I am in upstate NY the current tint would be nice, but definitely a darker tint for the hot zones. I'll sew a prototype shade when I get back to my sewing machine.
N I C E ! Wow..that'd be awesome to have! It'd pay dividends..huge dividends..if the factory were following your ideas/creations. You've done it again..GREAT JOB!!
Old 07-20-2017, 08:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 2qik2see
N I C E ! Wow..that'd be awesome to have! It'd pay dividends..huge dividends..if the factory were following your ideas/creations. You've done it again..GREAT JOB!!
Thank you.

Coincidentally, as Donny and I were trying out the prototype Freedom Panel Skylight on his Jeep yesterday, UPS was delivering prototype tempered/tinted glass for me to verify (the prototype we put on Donny's Jeep is plexiglass).

There are two different styles in the photo below - the one on flat on the bench has holes in it for the hardware, it's an openable panel. The one standing up is a bit smaller than the other one and has no holes - it's a fixed panel intended to be installed with a glass seal and be non-openable. The openable pane also doesn't have a "fret", which is the term the glass company uses for the black coating around the perimeter that prevents UV exposure to the weatherstrip underneath. I'll verify these panes against my original drawings/templates to see if they're on target.

Old 07-20-2017, 06:17 PM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

In the process of making up the prototype 2-dr factory hardtop slider window retrofit kit, I also made up a "blank" one just to see what ideas might come out of it.

One use for a blank kit would be to turn the Jeep into a panel truck, but really the idea would be to provide a "blank canvas" for DIY-built hardtop mods. Like the slider window retrofit kits, the blank kit would provide a flat mounting surface is an easy-to-use base for whatever the DIY-er wanted to build.

A blank retrofit kit installed to make "panel truck":

Some of the things a blank retrofit kit could be used for...

- Building a Rotopax mount (oh wait, someone's done that Blackout Kit Bare Bones Package - 2 Door JK) But a DIY version using a blank retrofit hit would almost certainly work out to be way less than the $659.98 of the one in the link .

- Building your own cargo hatch/storage compartment using a standard RV hatch

- Installing standard RV-style windows

I'm working on coming up with other uses for a blank kit to see if it's worth going any further with it - any ideas?
be pretty sweet to have some type of tool draws on the sides that wouldn't take up cargo room like big draw @ top toward the roof and then ladder downward so the lower the draws would have less depth to allow cargo area to be utilized rather than being in way ! Nice roof concept . for 2 door

Last edited by jeepmojo; 07-20-2017 at 06:19 PM.
Old 07-21-2017, 12:16 PM
JK Super Freak

One other thing I'm thinking of implementing on the modular hardtop - the windows on either side of the barn door on my Safari Cab really improve visibility out the back:

It wouldn't be too hard to do the same thing to a factory hardtop. On a late model (wide hatch) hardtop, they'd look something like this concept drawing:

Old 07-22-2017, 12:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

One other thing I'm thinking of implementing on the modular hardtop - the windows on either side of the barn door on my Safari Cab really improve visibility out the back:

It wouldn't be too hard to do the same thing to a factory hardtop. On a late model (wide hatch) hardtop, they'd look something like this concept drawing:

Ohhhhhh sweet!!!! Is that glass panel curved or flat? It really does improve the vision back there!!
Old 07-22-2017, 01:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 2qik2see
Ohhhhhh sweet!!!! Is that glass panel curved or flat? It really does improve the vision back there!!
If I decide to do it, I'll show how it can be done with flat glass.

Where are you on the west coast? I spent the last 3 weeks in the Ft. Myers area.
Old 07-23-2017, 03:13 AM
JK Super Freak

I'm thinking no, but I wanted to see what it would look like - a Kaiser-era Jeep grille emblem on the JK. I've got a bunch of these that are in good condition for my Retro Rhino grille project so I temporarily stuck one on the JK to take a few photos.

A close-up of my bug-encrusted grille (just drove it back from Florida).

Old 07-23-2017, 03:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A nice Retro touch to compliment the Flat Fenders ! I think tall (33") skinny tires (9.50-10.50 ) would really add to the Look as well.

Quick Reply: Custom modular JK hardtop