Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Custom modular JK hardtop

Old 07-02-2017, 04:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by akpostal
Nicely done. How about the sink on the side with the Rubican?

More room for food and drink prep and a stove on the other side.
Thank you.

It would certainly be possible to do it the way you suggest, but I laid it out the way I did for two reasons: first, so you can still access the storage inside the Jeep when the table is deployed up, and second, so things like the StoreGate can be installed on the tailgate and used when the table is deployed.

As for the stove, personally I would prefer to have the stove separate from the Jeep, if only so cooking smells don't fill up the Jeep, so I'd probably want to use something like the Tembo Tusk Skottle - if you're not familiar with it, it's a really cool self-standing, propane-fueled stove that packs up very small for transport and sets up quickly. My Jeep camper friend Donny swears by it.

Maybe if I actually go camping and use this setup I'll have a bunch of different or new ideas about how it should be designed .
Old 07-02-2017, 07:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I like the Skottle and want to get one, even if it stays on the porch. I wouldnt want to carry it inside the Jeep, outside on the trailer would be fine. I could strap the Skottle underneath the rear rack on the JK.

For me the back of my JK is all about room for the dog, not storage.

This does give me an idea for a sink off the tail gate table. For the M-PAC I have it could hook into the side of Molle pane in use and store it on the back when the table is up, other tables would need more thought.

I would need to get better water source out back to make a sink work for me. I have 2 gallons in the rear but only get a little better then half gallon out of each while they are mounted. I could always get a second Rubican 10L and mount it behind or to my cooler on the rack and ditch the 2 Rotopax that are there.

Ill post some pictures of what Im thinking when the rain stops.

Last edited by akpostal; 07-02-2017 at 07:55 PM.
Old 07-03-2017, 08:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

A sink could be hooked to the side or front of a tail gate table, like the one I have. It could strap to the table when not in use in the upright stored position. Anyone with the TailGater table or the FrontRunner table could cut their cutting board to drop in a sink, and if they are handy with a router it could slide in when stowed. Or they could have two wooden inserts, one for a cutting board and one for a sink.

Click image for larger version

Name:	M-PAC003.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	2.59 MB
ID:	672972

You could cut and mount a sink into your StoreGate panel as well.

I could use the same Rockler brackets and some metal to mount a 10L to the top of the rack, as long as the pack is above the sink any mount or rack would do. Or I could just mount it to the cooler.

Name:	Rubican004.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	2.50 MB
ID:	672973

I just thew it up there to see how it fit. Another Rubican would work better then the 2 Rotopax I have and would give me another .5 gallon of water, and be a lot cheaper.

Looking at it bolting or strapping it to the cooler would work pretty dang good.

Name:	Rubican005.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	2.18 MB
ID:	672974

Name:	Rubican006.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	2.23 MB
ID:	672975

Last edited by akpostal; 07-03-2017 at 10:42 PM.
Old 07-04-2017, 03:04 AM
JK Super Freak

...I could use the same Rockler brackets and some metal to mount a 10L to the top of the rack, as long as the pack is above the sink any mount or rack would do. Or I could just mount it to the cooler.

Attachment 672973

I just thew it up there to see how it fit. Another Rubican would work better then the 2 Rotopax I have and would give me another .5 gallon of water, and be a lot cheaper.

Looking at it bolting or strapping it to the cooler would work pretty dang good.
Attachment 672974

Attachment 672975
Instead of strapping a Rubican to the cooler, why not make a panel like the one I made for the fridge slide? It could bolt to the side of the rack. Here's an idea starter sketch - you could mount it on any side of your rack and the Rubican could be mounted on the outside as shown here or on the inside. You wouldn't have to cut all the slots to make it a Molle panel as I did, all you'd need would be two holes for the Rubican mount.

Old 07-04-2017, 02:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Some before and after photos of the fenders. Also showing junk the prior owner installed that I removed, like the light hoop on the front bumper and the air dam on the hood. I also removed the Sahara silver bumper overlays, the Jeep logo on the grille, and I swapped the side steps for rock rails.

The first thing you may notice is the great increase in tire clearance, or perhaps a more accurate description would be that you notice that my stock tires now look too small .

I never realized how big the factory fenders look, to me the new ones look much better proportioned for the Jeep.

The new ones colorized for a better comparison to the body color Sahara fenders.

Old 07-04-2017, 03:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jscherb
Instead of strapping a Rubican to the cooler, why not make a panel like the one I made for the fridge slide? It could bolt to the side of the rack. Here's an idea starter sketch - you could mount it on any side of your rack and the Rubican could be mounted on the outside as shown here or on the inside. You wouldn't have to cut all the slots to make it a Molle panel as I did, all you'd need would be two holes for the Rubican mount.

Having the Rubican behind the cooler would keep the weight centered. Mounting it to the driver side of the rack would be too much twisting weight closing the gate for my liking. Ild mount a spigot to the drivers side of the rack for convenience, I could also add a tee at the Can for a spigot down to the stove or possible sink. A panel like you show behind the Action Packer would put the weight directly over the hinges but I wouldnt be able to open the AP.

I would like to put a fire extinguisher on both sides of the rack

I never realized how big the factory fenders look, to me the new ones look much better proportioned for the Jeep.

The new ones colorized for a better comparison to the body color Sahara fenders.

The fenders turned out great.
Old 07-04-2017, 03:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Having the Rubican behind the cooler would keep the weight centered. Mounting it to the driver side of the rack would be too much twisting weight closing the gate for my liking....
My concept drawing was intended only to be a thought starter, so yes if you do a panel to mount the Rubican put it where it will be best for you. That was the only photo of yours I had handy so I drew on it, sorry it's not in the right place .

The fenders turned out great.
Thank you very much.
Old 07-04-2017, 03:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

My concept drawing was intended only to be a thought starter, so yes if you do a panel to mount the Rubican put it where it will be best for you. That was the only photo of yours I had handy so I drew on it, sorry it's not in the right place .

I appreciated the feedback.
Old 07-08-2017, 04:10 AM
JK Super Freak

This is a first for me... I bought an aftermarket styling part for my Jeep. I've never done that before - the JK has no aftermarket accessories at all (I'm not counting the ones I've designed), and the only aftermarket parts on my other two Jeeps are a few suspension parts like 2" spacer lifts and Air Lift 1000 air bag kits. Everything else on all three of my Jeeps I designed and built myself.

I've been thinking the factory front bumper looked too long with the flat fenders:

So I bought a VDP stubby bumper kit. The modification of the factory bumper and installation of the VDP ends was a quick and easy process and I think the mod looks perfect with the flat fenders.

Old 07-08-2017, 04:13 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I was waiting to see what you'd come up with for that bumper. I like that everything on your vehicle is neatly put together as though it could have come from the factory like that.

Quick Reply: Custom modular JK hardtop