Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Custom modular JK hardtop

Old 07-23-2017, 06:51 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Four Low
A nice Retro touch to compliment the Flat Fenders ! I think tall (33") skinny tires (9.50-10.50 ) would really add to the Look as well.
I'm thinking the emblem will really look right once I get the Retro Rhino kit installed, it isn't quite right to me on the JK grille.

I'd like to have 34 x 10.50's on there, but I don't think I can do that until I ditch the Sahara 18" wheels for 17's - I'm not aware of any 34 10.50 x 18's on the market - anyone know of any?
Old 07-24-2017, 01:01 PM
JK Super Freak

I've found a reasonably-priced source for Deep Cherry Red Pearl paint, so I've ordered a quart to paint the flat fenders. As soon as I get a shipping confirmation on the paint I'll pull the fenders off the Jeep and begin the paint prep process. I've also ordered black oxide finish stainless bolts for attaching the fenders; currently the fenders are attached with bright stainless bolts I'd rather have the hardware blend into the background.

And speaking of things blending into the background, this morning I painted the rear inner fenders matte black. They were body color and really stood out in a side view.

Before:

After:

Old 07-24-2017, 07:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jscherb
If I decide to do it, I'll show how it can be done with flat glass.

Where are you on the west coast? I spent the last 3 weeks in the Ft. Myers area.
I'm just outside Tampa Bay. About 30-45 minutes outta Clearwater. It'd been an honor to meet ya! Hope it was drier there than it's been here..sheez..everyday rain. Crazy humid too! If you do decide to do that, I would like to see how. I really enjoy your projects..very inspiring.
Old 07-25-2017, 04:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 2qik2see
I'm just outside Tampa Bay. About 30-45 minutes outta Clearwater. It'd been an honor to meet ya! Hope it was drier there than it's been here..sheez..everyday rain. Crazy humid too! If you do decide to do that, I would like to see how. I really enjoy your projects..very inspiring.
Thanks for your kind words. You're a bit far from Mom's house, but maybe somehow next time.

Torrential rains every afternoon. But the Safari Cab hardtop is completely weatherproof, so no problem with that. I had my bicycle with me and got caught in downpours several times, but either way you end up soaked - from the rain or from the humidity. I guess I'd rather be wet from rain than humidity .
Old 07-25-2017, 06:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your kind words. You're a bit far from Mom's house, but maybe somehow next time.

Torrential rains every afternoon. But the Safari Cab hardtop is completely weatherproof, so no problem with that. I had my bicycle with me and got caught in downpours several times, but either way you end up soaked - from the rain or from the humidity. I guess I'd rather be wet from rain than humidity .
Amen to that! Yeah, next time you're around let me know..I'm retired and always lookn for a lil'road trip!
Old 07-26-2017, 07:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Now that I've got the fridge/kitchen finished, I've been thinking maybe I ought to actually go camping and use it.

I've got a roof top tent, it was given to me by a company a few years ago when I licensed some designs to them and I've never used it other than putting it on top of my Jeeps and trailers to test how tents would mount on them. This morning I checked it out on the Safari Cab, installed to open off the back so it provides some shelter for the kitchen.

Old 07-26-2017, 07:11 AM
JK Super Freak

A few more photos...

Old 07-26-2017, 12:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Stowed for travel.

Old 07-26-2017, 02:03 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now that I've got the fridge/kitchen finished, I've been thinking maybe I ought to actually go camping and use it.

I've got a roof top tent, it was given to me by a company a few years ago when I licensed some designs to them and I've never used it other than putting it on top of my Jeeps and trailers to test how tents would mount on them. This morning I checked it out on the Safari Cab, installed to open off the back so it provides some shelter for the kitchen.

I'm digging the look of that RTT with the kitchen/fridge setup. Do you know the weight of the RTT and just curious, but who makes it (Tepui, Trailmaster, etc)? The size looks perfect and I've been considering getting one.
Old 07-26-2017, 04:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by LoboMike
I'm digging the look of that RTT with the kitchen/fridge setup. Do you know the weight of the RTT and just curious, but who makes it (Tepui, Trailmaster, etc)? The size looks perfect and I've been considering getting one.
It's a Mombasa 9008: https://www.mombasaoutdoor.com/9008-...-roof-top-tent. Along with the basic tent I've got the travel cover (shown in my last post), mounting bars (I use them along with some Surco XJ rack adapters to mount it on the XJ Cherokee rack on my hardtop) and the ladder extension (needed on my LJ, which is a bit taller than the JK).

I'd guess it weighs about 125 pounds, I can lift it up onto the Jeep by myself.

I do like the size - it's fairly compact, but inside it's only a few inches narrower than a queen bed and longer than a queen. And I was able to find an extra long sleeping bag (I'm 6'6") that completely fills it from side to side.

One thing I want to do is fold the sleeping bag up in the tent so I don't have to have it taking up space in the Jeep when the tent is collapsed for travel. I did a quick test and this didn't work too well because in the process of folding the tent the sleeping bag slid down into a heap onto the floor of the part of the tent that wasn't folding. I added a strap to hold the sleeping bag in place when it folds. The strap has a clip in the middle to make it easy to secure/undo, and I pop-riveted some old TJ footman loops to the tent frame to secure the ends of the strap...

Last edited by jscherb; 07-26-2017 at 05:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Custom modular JK hardtop