Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Dealer lift (I know, I know), Duratracs and 3.21.

Old 02-28-2014, 07:54 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer lift (I know, I know), Duratracs and 3.21.

Picked up my 2nd JK from the dealer yesterday.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20140227_151016.jpg
Views:	1155
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	534054

Surprisingly, the dealer actually price matched the quote I got at the 4x4 place by me for a 2" body lift, and they price matched DiscountTire for the Duratracs/wheels. So I got a pretty good deal, and they claim everything is still under warranty (I know, I've read all the threads on that issue). It was nice to pick it up from the dealer already completed, and not have to deal with shops and waiting.

It is a Sport, and has the standard 3.21 gearing. I have to say, after browsing these forums, I was expecting a lot worse performance. I live in Chicago, and it has plenty of get-up-and-go for me around the city and on the highway to work.

Also, after comparing speedometer to an app, there seems to be only a 1 mph difference. I can't justify $150 plus for the AEV. Contrary to what I've read, its my understanding that it doesn't help with shift points.

Just wanted to share my experience so far! Stay tuned for more mods!
Old 02-28-2014, 08:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

fyi the faster you go the more inaccurate your speedo will be which will give you not only false speed but ineffecient shifting (assuming auto), inaccurate mileage and inaccurate mpg. the 150 is well worth it if youd like it done right
Old 02-28-2014, 08:36 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by SlightlySubliminal
... I can't justify $150 plus for the AEV. Contrary to what I've read, its my understanding that it doesn't help with shift points...
Some supposition on my part here, but I believe that there are two separate issues that are closely related, therefore often confused (and please bear in mind that I own a six speed, so no first hand experience):

1. There is the desire on the part of some folks to outsmart the Jeep engineers and reprogram the shift points on the Jeep JK. That means if the engineer figured it should shift a 3K RPM, the smarter folk figure it should shift at 4K RPM. You can imagine that on a fast sports car this might be very desirable. And there are probably some programmers that can do this for the Jeep JK, but I don't know which ones (and I have no idea why, since why would anyone race a Jeep JK?).

2. The other issue is that in order to efficiently shift your Jeep, the Jeep has to know how fast it's going. If it's off, then the shift points will also be off--it will think it's downshifting at 3K RPM and 70 MPH when you hit the accelerator (totally made up numbers) when in fact it's downshifting at 65 MPH. It will be 5 MPH late on that downshift. This isn't actually programming the shift points. It's just making the speedo accurate.

Now, the preceding is pretty much speculation on my part since I don't have access to the Jeep software source code. But, it only makes sense. I suspect that all programmers take care of 2. Very few (if any) allow for 1.

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 02-28-2014 at 08:39 AM.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:49 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2" body lift or coil spacer lift??
Old 02-28-2014, 02:54 PM
JK Freak

He said body lift...

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 while crawling over mini trucks.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:08 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by D3ADLY
He said body lift... Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 while crawling over mini trucks.
Yes, but it doesn't look like a body lift...
Old 03-01-2014, 05:03 PM
JK Freak

He also didn't mention tire size. If the new tires are close to stock size it will drive the same.
Old 03-01-2014, 05:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pwain
Yes, but it doesn't look like a body lift...
I agree. Rear bumper still looks pretty tight to body.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 03-02-2014, 03:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

The OP needs to repost with accurate info, so the audience can critique more accurately...
Old 03-02-2014, 04:52 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 8figgas
The OP needs to repost with accurate info, so the audience can critique more accurately...
My guess and vote goes to;

2 inch BB (rear bumper is tight to body)
33 inch tires

Quick Reply: Dealer lift (I know, I know), Duratracs and 3.21.