Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Dynatrac ProGrip brake review

Old 04-23-2017, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Dynatrac ProGrip brake review

Something that is often overlooked is how poor the brake system is on our JK's, especially when going over a 35 " Tire. Once I went to 37's, I knew the factory brakes weren't going to cut it. The factory brakes are definitely not adequate for anything but a stock JK.

There are several aftermarket options available, so after a lot of research and good reviews I decided to go with the Dynatrac ProGrip brake system. I liked this system because it is a complete kit front and rear, and doesn't require opening the hydraulic system or upgrading the master cylinder. The other kits available require some or most of this, so this truly is a bolt on and go system. Because of this, it may be easy to become sceptical of how these brakes perform in comparison to the others. I'll get to the performance in a minute. You can definitely tell a lot of testing was done before Dynatrac put this kit on the market.

So in the box you will find the following:

13.50" front rotors with pillar vented cooling design

14.25" rear rotors

New caliper brakets to fit the larger rotors

Front and rear brake pads

Hardware kit and clips.

The Dynatrac Progrip brake system fits 17" or larger wheels with 4.75" backspacing or less, and can be used on factory wheels with a 1.5" spacer.

First impression of the kit is that this is a very well designed and top notch product, as usual with Dynatrac. The rotors are massive, the caliper brackets are very beefy and feature a nice anodized gold finish, which looks great. The pads are very nice as well. I won't go into great detail on the install, but it is very straightforward and the directions are very detailed and easy to follow. It is truly bolt on and go. It looks awesome installed and honestly, Jeeps should leave the factory like this considering that a large portion of owners will modify them.

Now for the part that matters. How does it perform? Well, Dynatrac did testing and claims a 30% increase in braking performance. But how does that equate in real world performance? First of all, my JK is very heavy. 37's, beadlocks, full armor and bumpers etc just to give you a baseline. The factory brakes struggled to slow it down in a hurry if needed. After installing the ProGrip system, the Jeep now stops better than it did bone stock from the factory. It is absolutely awesome! The pedal feel and pressure are better than stock, there is no brake dive. It stops very evenly and fast if you need it too, and very progressive and not too touchy. It feels like a high performance braking system. No brake fade either. I don't have one single complaint with this system. I will definitely be updating this thread and doing a long term review.

If you are in the market for an awesome brake upgrade that really lives up to its claim look no further. It is easily one of the best upgrades I have done. I highly recommend the Dynatrac ProGrip brake system, and would put my name on the line in doing so. It is an absolutely fantastic product.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20170423_182424.jpg
Views:	904
Size:	351.4 KB
ID:	670794   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_19991.jpg
Views:	843
Size:	492.3 KB
ID:	670795  

Last edited by Ryan0260; 04-23-2017 at 07:36 PM.
Old 04-23-2017, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator

A few more shots of the size difference.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_19951.jpg
Views:	822
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	670796   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_19971.jpg
Views:	836
Size:	530.3 KB
ID:	670797  
Old 04-23-2017, 06:45 PM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Yep, I'll second Ryan's review of ProGrips. I'm running them on my rig. Easy to install and a significant difference in stopping power!
Old 04-23-2017, 08:54 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-04-23 at 9.52.19 PM.png
Views:	845
Size:	478.5 KB
ID:	670834

I'm going to take a wild guess that you forgot to re-install the ABS sensor line brackets before you tightened the knuckles and unit bearings down then said screw it lol

Old 04-24-2017, 04:07 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a set being delivered today!! Hope to get them installed this weekend!!
Old 04-24-2017, 04:21 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by DJ1
Attachment 670834

I'm going to take a wild guess that you forgot to re-install the ABS sensor line brackets before you tightened the knuckles and unit bearings down then said screw it lol

Haha nope. Unfortunately the factory bracket wouldn't work with the Rancho knuckles and clear the RCV boot. So zip ties it is.

Last edited by Ryan0260; 04-24-2017 at 04:24 AM.
Old 04-24-2017, 04:38 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ryan0260 -- Thanks for posting your comments on installing and initial impressions of our Dynatrac ProGrip brake system! We look forward to future updates on how you like the system as you put more on-road and off-road miles on the Jeep with your new brakes.

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
Something that is often overlooked is how poor the brake system is on our JK's, especially when going over a 35 " Tire. Once I went to 37's, I knew the factory brakes weren't going to cut it. The factory brakes are definitely not adequate for anything but a stock JK.

There are several aftermarket options available, so after a lot of research and good reviews I decided to go with the Dynatrac ProGrip brake system. I liked this system because it is a complete kit front and rear, and doesn't require opening the hydraulic system or upgrading the master cylinder. The other kits available require some or most of this, so this truly is a bolt on and go system. Because of this, it may be easy to become sceptical of how these brakes perform in comparison to the others. I'll get to the performance in a minute. You can definitely tell a lot of testing was done before Dynatrac put this kit on the market.

So in the box you will find the following:

13.50" front rotors with pillar vented cooling design

14.25" rear rotors

New caliper brakets to fit the larger rotors

Front and rear brake pads

Hardware kit and clips.

The Dynatrac Progrip brake system fits 17" or larger wheels with 4.75" backspacing or less, and can be used on factory wheels with a 1.5" spacer.

First impression of the kit is that this is a very well designed and top notch product, as usual with Dynatrac. The rotors are massive, the caliper brackets are very beefy and feature a nice anodized gold finish, which looks great. The pads are very nice as well. I won't go into great detail on the install, but it is very straightforward and the directions are very detailed and easy to follow. It is truly bolt on and go. It looks awesome installed and honestly, Jeeps should leave the factory like this considering that a large portion of owners will modify them.

Now for the part that matters. How does it perform? Well, Dynatrac did testing and claims a 30% increase in braking performance. But how does that equate in real world performance? First of all, my JK is very heavy. 37's, beadlocks, full armor and bumpers etc just to give you a baseline. The factory brakes struggled to slow it down in a hurry if needed. After installing the ProGrip system, the Jeep now stops better than it did bone stock from the factory. It is absolutely awesome! The pedal feel and pressure are better than stock, there is no brake dive. It stops very evenly and fast if you need it too, and very progressive and not too touchy. It feels like a high performance braking system. No brake fade either. I don't have one single complaint with this system. I will definitely be updating this thread and doing a long term review.

If you are in the market for an awesome brake upgrade that really lives up to its claim look no further. It is easily one of the best upgrades I have done. I highly recommend the Dynatrac ProGrip brake system, and would put my name on the line in doing so. It is an absolutely fantastic product.
Old 04-24-2017, 04:43 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by scooby snacks
I have a set being delivered today!! Hope to get them installed this weekend!!
That's awesome! The install is not difficult or time consuming, so you will have plenty of time to go test them out.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:47 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

Ive had these on for probably a year now. They are outstanding. Better braking with these running 37s than with the stockers and 35s, and by a solid margin.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:20 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,586 Posts

Nice review, thanks. I need to address this upgrade myself if budget ever allows. Still rocking the mini factory brakes.

Quick Reply: Dynatrac ProGrip brake review