Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Dynatrac ProGrip brake review

Old 04-24-2017, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Dynatrac
Ryan0260 -- Thanks for posting your comments on installing and initial impressions of our Dynatrac ProGrip brake system! We look forward to future updates on how you like the system as you put more on-road and off-road miles on the Jeep with your new brakes.
On the topic of off road. I have a 6.0 L96 and prior to these brakes, when in 4LO, the OEM brake system could not hold the vehicle. With the ProGrips, the vehicle is held solid.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
Nice review, thanks. I need to address this upgrade myself if budget ever allows. Still rocking the mini factory brakes.
This is definitely money well spent. Once you feel the diffence this system offers, you won't feel like you have wasted your money. It is worth every penny.
Old 04-25-2017, 03:13 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

jedg -- Thanks for sharing your comments on our ProGrip system too! We do a lot of off-roading, and we knew that better brake control off-road was something that was desperately needed. Especially for Rubicons with the 4:1 transfer case gearing, steep axle gears and/or additional gear reduction like a RubiCrawler, or in your case, a more powerful engine. Even with mild gearing and a stock engine, the ProGrip brakes will make it much easier to control and finesse the vehicle off-road, giving the driver far better control over the Jeep.

Originally Posted by jedg
On the topic of off road. I have a 6.0 L96 and prior to these brakes, when in 4LO, the OEM brake system could not hold the vehicle. With the ProGrips, the vehicle is held solid.
Old 04-25-2017, 04:20 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Dynatrac
jedg -- Thanks for sharing your comments on our ProGrip system too! We do a lot of off-roading, and we knew that better brake control off-road was something that was desperately needed. Especially for Rubicons with the 4:1 transfer case gearing, steep axle gears and/or additional gear reduction like a RubiCrawler, or in your case, a more powerful engine. Even with mild gearing and a stock engine, the ProGrip brakes will make it much easier to control and finesse the vehicle off-road, giving the driver far better control over the Jeep.
Yup... the creeping that occurred with the OEM brakes made some obstacles a bit of high adventure.

I'd say the three things I like about this brake solution is 1) Easy to install 2) No diving when braking from high speed 3) Holds the vehicle solid in 4LO
Old 04-25-2017, 06:18 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This past Sunday I was a place that had a steep strip mine hill climb area called "The Wall", I thought I would jack around in 2WD and just see how far I could go up the wall at a steady 5MPH before the rear tires spun out. That is when I realized how bad of an idea this was.

As soon as left the throttle and hit the brakes, I started skidding the front tires backwards with the brake pedal mashed to the floor. I was picking up speed and turning sideways... I knew I had to let off the brakes to get the front to steer, but damn I was already going fast! I had no choice, I lifted and got a little bit re-aligned and mashed down hard again... I went sideways again but couldn't lift again.

This was when I realized I was really likely buying a new Jeep after this all came to pass. At the bottom, the jeep was going to my right, and there was a slight drop off on that right side that would make this even worse.

As felt the right rear dropping low into that and the body starting to roll, I lifted the brakes again and let it roll out while using the steering to fight the roll over. It did lift 2 tires into the air but THANK GOD it came back onto all 4! Somehow... I saved it.

My buddy and his girl were watching.... and screaming... they also saw this all coming in a bad way...

F this 37" tires and stock brakes. I was putting off buying the ProGrip brakes that I swore I was buying in March but did not because of financial reasons... but I swear to you, I can not afford to not have the damn ProGrip system. I have around $50K tied up into this Jeep. I'm not going to roll and total it over a $900 part that I will struggle to buy. I'm buying it come hell or high water. I'll feel like a real idiot if I roll my Jeep because I didn't spend the $900.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:00 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by larry0071
This past Sunday I was a place that had a steep strip mine hill climb area called "The Wall", I thought I would jack around in 2WD and just see how far I could go up the wall at a steady 5MPH before the rear tires spun out. That is when I realized how bad of an idea this was.

As soon as left the throttle and hit the brakes, I started skidding the front tires backwards with the brake pedal mashed to the floor. I was picking up speed and turning sideways... I knew I had to let off the brakes to get the front to steer, but damn I was already going fast! I had no choice, I lifted and got a little bit re-aligned and mashed down hard again... I went sideways again but couldn't lift again.

This was when I realized I was really likely buying a new Jeep after this all came to pass. At the bottom, the jeep was going to my right, and there was a slight drop off on that right side that would make this even worse.

As felt the right rear dropping low into that and the body starting to roll, I lifted the brakes again and let it roll out while using the steering to fight the roll over. It did lift 2 tires into the air but THANK GOD it came back onto all 4! Somehow... I saved it.

My buddy and his girl were watching.... and screaming... they also saw this all coming in a bad way...

F this 37" tires and stock brakes. I was putting off buying the ProGrip brakes that I swore I was buying in March but did not because of financial reasons... but I swear to you, I can not afford to not have the damn ProGrip system. I have around $50K tied up into this Jeep. I'm not going to roll and total it over a $900 part that I will struggle to buy. I'm buying it come hell or high water. I'll feel like a real idiot if I roll my Jeep because I didn't spend the $900.
Glad to hear you drove out of that situation! Let us know when you get your ProGrip kit and the difference you notice post install!
Old 04-25-2017, 09:47 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn Larry. You just had to throw the damn fear-factor out there. When I was all content leaving the stock rotors on and about to pull the trigger on my hydro. You just had to do it lol.

Because of you, I just pulled the trigger on the brake kit instead. Now go pick up your commission check from Dyna lol

I guess I'll go ahead and tap the box myself for hydro now so I can save some $.

Old 04-25-2017, 01:17 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DJ1
Damn Larry. You just had to throw the damn fear-factor out there. When I was all content leaving the stock rotors on and about to pull the trigger on my hydro. You just had to do it lol.

Because of you, I just pulled the trigger on the brake kit instead. Now go pick up your commission check from Dyna lol

I guess I'll go ahead and tap the box myself for hydro now so I can save some $.

My buddy Adam's girl saw my hands as I was leaning on his Jeep and trying not to completely poop myself.. I was shaking out of control from the adrenaline hit I sustained. Dude, I was never so close to loosing my Jeep. I'm telling you, the rear brakes were doing NOTHING... and the front would just lock up. Option be was to free roll the Jeep to its death... so my brain was going 100 different directions as the situation was way the hell out of my control and there was only so many choices that could be made as it was unfolding. One thought that did rush past my mind at least 10 times during that few seconds of pure panic..... "Why in the HELL do I not have the damn ProGrip brakes that I told everyone I know that I was getting.... Instead I bought a second freaking drone that is going to do NOTHING to help me now!".

Anyone want to buy a nice used Autel Robotics drone? I need a set of brakes... really bad!

Hey Dynatrac, how about 2 Colt AR-15 lowers with parts kits installed for a set of brakes?
Old 04-25-2017, 02:00 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My buddy Adam's girl saw my hands as I was leaning on his Jeep and trying not to completely poop myself.. I was shaking out of control from the adrenaline hit I sustained. Dude, I was never so close to loosing my Jeep. I'm telling you, the rear brakes were doing NOTHING... and the front would just lock up. Option be was to free roll the Jeep to its death... so my brain was going 100 different directions as the situation was way the hell out of my control and there was only so many choices that could be made as it was unfolding. One thought that did rush past my mind at least 10 times during that few seconds of pure panic..... "Why in the HELL do I not have the damn ProGrip brakes that I told everyone I know that I was getting.... Instead I bought a second freaking drone that is going to do NOTHING to help me now!".

Anyone want to buy a nice used Autel Robotics drone? I need a set of brakes... really bad!

Hey Dynatrac, how about 2 Colt AR-15 lowers with parts kits installed for a set of brakes?

haha man I hear you. I've had a butt-quincher moment before as well but it wasn't anywhere close to what I envision you had and mine wasn't brake related so I was in a more controlled situation.

That hill you speak of sounds very similar to a hill that we have down here. Pretty much rutted and/or loose ground while climbing a pretty steep and lengthy hill. I've only done it in 4WD with the gas pedal mashed so I can imagine trying to go up it in 2WD, only to not make the climb, and have to let the JK roll back without killing myself in the process especially if the damn brakes aren't working lol

It's probably good I don't have the drone bug that I've seen going around lol

Old 04-25-2017, 02:22 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Very tempting on those AR-15s!

Quick Reply: Dynatrac ProGrip brake review