Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Expedition Modded Jeeps - Let's see 'em!!

Old 01-30-2014, 06:30 AM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default another great idea lol

quote : A nice addition to this setup could be a dimmer for the floodlight, so you don't get your retinas burned out when you want to relax after setting up camp :-) maybe a cheap walmart type light would work just as good as some of these expensive lights that people steal or break when our jeeps are mall crawling

Last edited by jeepmojo; 01-30-2014 at 06:41 AM.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NMBruce
For those that have traveled long distances, I have a different type of tire question

When do you change out tires before a long trip?

As of today my original tires, BFG MT are in good shape with 21k miles on them.

In June I will leave on a 10k mile trip to Alaska and back, guessing tires will have 30k miles on them, so still good tread (?). In March/April I will need 2/3 tires to use on a trailer that will follow my Jeep to Alaska. Originally, I had thought about replacing the Jeep tires in June just before leaving and using 3 of the old tires as trailer tires. But, I will need trailer tires earlier and a friend got me thinking that my current tires could make the trip to Alaska and back and still have some tread left.

So the question is,
A) stick to original plan and get new tires for the Jeep, use current tires for the trailer?
B) use original tires for trip & find some good used tires and put them on the trailer?
Originally Posted by Speed King
For me A is the way.
Thanks and I should add the trail is a off road trailer, 700-1300lbs empty to fully load, so no trailer spec tires are not needed. Wheels are AEV 8.5 x 17 that I got for $85.00 each.

Last edited by NMBruce; 01-30-2014 at 07:27 AM.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:51 AM
JK Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Parts on the way for the spring. Surco roof rack, VDP high clearance front corners, not stubbys, teraflex diffs and rear tailgate hinge, 19/60 springs, and new goodyear territory 285s. Lots more after that but that's coming now!

oh yeah, gunmetal drakon wheels.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:13 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cool Danish

Love the scale model.. Awesome detail :-)
But you know that now every time you add something to the big Jeep, you will have to add the same to the replica
I'm pretty sure that you just add stuff to the model, place it in the magic cupboard overnight, and by morning it will appear on the full size!
Old 01-30-2014, 07:04 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by maddmatt9400
I'm pretty sure that you just add stuff to the model, place it in the magic cupboard overnight, and by morning it will appear on the full size!
Read the book and watched the movie... If that was true I would load up on rc parts hahaha
Old 01-31-2014, 02:53 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by NMBruce
For those that have traveled long distances, I have a different type of tire question

When do you change out tires before a long trip?

As of today my original tires, BFG MT are in good shape with 21k miles on them.

In June I will leave on a 10k mile trip to Alaska and back, guessing tires will have 30k miles on them, so still good tread (?). In March/April I will need 2/3 tires to use on a trailer that will follow my Jeep to Alaska. Originally, I had thought about replacing the Jeep tires in June just before leaving and using 3 of the old tires as trailer tires. But, I will need trailer tires earlier and a friend got me thinking that my current tires could make the trip to Alaska and back and still have some tread left.

So the question is,
A) stick to original plan and get new tires for the Jeep, use current tires for the trailer?
B) use original tires for trip & find some good used tires and put them on the trailer?
I guess the thing to keep in mind is that treadwear indicators indicate when a tire should be replaced for highway use. I figure about twice the treadwear indicator (1/8") when there will be moderate off-roading involved (if you expect MTs to work well in the mud, I suspect 1/8" is probably too little tread). So, it may depend on what you have planned for the Alaska drive.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:39 AM
JK Newbie

Mark Doiron- (or anyone who has advice) : Where could someone who is new to the activity find info on what type of equipment one should have with them on the trail, like recovery kits etc? And I means pretty specific items, types of tools, straps, etc.? Thanks, Frankie
Old 01-31-2014, 11:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hey Bruce. Said the same thing on Expo. But will repeat it here so that others (should they want to) can weigh in.

The stock BFGs that come with the JK will last 50-60k miles - if not more. I asked my buddy about his today, and he said he swapped them out at 110k km (66k miles) and still was not at the tread wear bar/mark yet (although getting close) - and it was all highway driving (he as a 60 mile commute each day). If you're only at 20k, unless you're itching to put on new rubber, I'd do the trip with these. Then either sell them or save them for the trailer. However they won't wear nearly as quick on the trailer (not as much weight, none of the wheels are powered, likely sees much better terrain), so even with 30/40k on them... having 5 for the trailer... they should last years.

As for new ones... my main thought is this. You don't need them right this instant (if you did it would be a different story). So getting new ones and then immediately putting 10/15k onto them... that's likely your usage around home for a year... meaning you've just shortened the life span by 1 yr (or more).

I don't know about other people, but the way I seem to wear tires, I think I'd get ~3 yrs based on how the wear is after 18 mths (I've never kept a tire longer than that - for many reasons). That includes me abusing them on the trail, and putting ~14k miles a yr on my JK. So for me... the thought of shortening my life span by a 1/3rd (even for an epic road trip), when I have tires that would be perfectly good wouldn't sit well with me. Anyway... thats where I'm coming from. I'll stop now.
Old 02-01-2014, 01:50 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Speed King
Mark Doiron- (or anyone who has advice) : Where could someone who is new to the activity find info on what type of equipment one should have with them on the trail, like recovery kits etc? And I means pretty specific items, types of tools, straps, etc.? Thanks, Frankie
There are some threads here on JKF on what gear to carry. Also, can't recommend this book highly enough: Overlanders' Handbook: Worldwide Route and Planning Guide by Chris Scott. Covers everything an overlander/expedition traveler could want, from build to use to how to ship it to your next adventure destination.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:10 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks! Book is on order.

Quick Reply: Expedition Modded Jeeps - Let's see 'em!!