Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Expedition Modded Jeeps - Let's see 'em!!

Old 07-07-2014, 11:31 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I finally get to toss my hat into the ring! I just got back from a week long trip to do the OBDR route #3. I was in my JK with a friend towing a modified bantam T3-C trailer, and my buddy and his dog rode in his built up '99 nissan pathfinder. The discovery route was an awesome, albeit fairly mild trip, with some beautiful views. After making the run, I'm going to have to revisit the design of the rack on the trailer, as it is very top heavy, and came very close to rolling down the side of the mountain a couple times. I'm hoping with the addition of some shocks and the lowering of the center of gravity will cure that problem though! the jeep's spare is in the trailer due to the tire carrier not mounting it high enough to clear the tongue under certain articulation of the hitch. Anyways, here's the pics!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20140701_104313_zpsc2d37aaf.jpg
Views:	639
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	564094   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140701_104336_zps033e76b9.jpg
Views:	578
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	564095   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140701_153453_zpsa0b8cd34.jpg
Views:	536
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	564099   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140704_120922.jpg
Views:	526
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	564100   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140703_131447.jpg
Views:	492
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	564101  

Old 07-07-2014, 02:17 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Awesome. We have a gaggle of more than a dozen vehicles running WABDR next year. We have folks pre-running it right now, and some of it looks a bit challenging--at least for downed trees and rock falls. Can't wait to see those beautiful mountains!
Old 07-08-2014, 06:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mrEman81
Have any of you been to Overland Expo? I'm new to the whole expedition thing, but feel I'd really enjoy it. A buddy and I thought that the Expo would be a good beginners event.
Is it worth the time and money??
My friend who spent 2 years in a TJ between Alaska and Argentina (and is planning/saving for an Africa trip) went. He had a blast... however it's a very commercialized event. Other than a neat place to check out everyone's gear, I honestly do not know if the average Joe would get their money's worth. If I was anywhere near it (or even kinda near it) I'd go check it out, only because it's not normally something I could do/go to. However I wouldn't be flying down just to go to that like my buddy did.
Old 07-09-2014, 06:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well my Rancho Dif skid is installed, and my ARB compressor and LF lights are all wired up. Thank goodness for my sPOD. Compressor took 10 minutes to wire in (easy when it's right beside the spod and all in the engine bay). Unfortunately for the LF lights, because they're HIDs and I wanted the ballasts inside the engine bay (safer, cleaner install) I used some Chinese HID extension cables... I'm pretty certain they're why the lights only intermittently both come on when I flick the switch. First 7/8 times, 1 or the other would come on. Occasionally both. The last 7/8 times both came on. So as I'm leaving on Friday, and I'm staying up north and don't really expect it to be that dark, I'll suck it up. But it is annoying. I'll see about sourcing some north American cables before I leave to re-wire them... otherwise I'll have to completely re-wire the lights with the ballasts in the bumper. Which will be a pain in the *** to deal with.

But I'm glad it's all done. Now just need to wire in the 10" Rigid LED bar I bought used (wiring is all in place, so that should only take a few minutes), and I'm good to go for my trip. Will deal with my reverse LEDs when I come home (and before I do my wheeling trip in BC in August).
Old 07-09-2014, 06:12 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Awesome. We have a gaggle of more than a dozen vehicles running WABDR next year. We have folks pre-running it right now, and some of it looks a bit challenging--at least for downed trees and rock falls. Can't wait to see those beautiful mountains!
I've heard the WABDR is a cool trip. I know a few guys out here who are planning on running it later this summer, but I unfortunately spent the majority of my vacation time on my trip so I'll be living vicariously through them!
Old 07-10-2014, 11:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

I would be down for a trip this summer if anyone is going: depending on when, if course.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

My son and I have been through most of the WABDR already this summer. We have not yet done the first couple of sections, from Oregon.

Ran most of it in our Jeeps, but I did Chelan to Canada on my motorcycle. It's been a lot of fun, and interesting. Pre-Running it for Mark's group. Got stuck in a soft, deeper-than-expected snow drift earlier... Thankfully my winch was up to the job of getting the little JK out!

I still need to hit the southernmost sections.

Guy
Old 07-10-2014, 11:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Some final work today before leaving for Alaska Friday afternoon/evening.

Had a small box made to attach my trailer wiring plug - thing is damn stout... could likely bash the crap out of it, and it'll still be there. Didn't dare use the weak pos that it came with (that cost me a wiring plug end after wheeling in the mud - pre lift).

Then decided that I needed to paint the rear bumper (and my rock rails) before leaving tomorrow on my road trip to Alaska. Decided that since I finally painted the bumper (have had it a year) that I could put on a pair of decals. My friends business that sells some neat jeep and lighting products (yes I'm pimping it), and Expo! The only two sites/places I would advertise (sorry JKF).

The black on the rear bumper turned out to be more of a satin black than the dark black I thought I was buying... but it turns out I really like the color (which is good I guess lol).

Also finished up all the wiring (mainly just the Rigid SR LED bar).

Last edited by Septu; 07-10-2014 at 11:07 PM.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Your Jeep looks really nice with the midwidth bumper and the cut fenders. You just don't see that very often.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:45 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Just a driveway shot, but got it cleaned up and was such a nice day threw on tube doors and went for a ride ...

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20140711_124533.jpg
Views:	756
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	564660

Quick Reply: Expedition Modded Jeeps - Let's see 'em!!