Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Expedition Modded Jeeps - Let's see 'em!!

Old 08-08-2014, 08:52 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Septu
Bruce I recognize a bunch of those places. I'm also glad to see it's not just my pictures that have the horizon ****eyed - and I took time to try and always get them horizontal.
I'm kind of fussy about editing of photos--that is, I don't do a lot since I consider myself a photographer, not a computer artist--but leveling horizons is something I try to pay particular attention to. That is, I fix it post-shoot if I screw it up while shooting (which is really easy with ultra wide-angle lenses). Now the only problem is I don't have a way to fix it post-shoot for videos. And I know all of you have been kind enough to not comment negatively about how often I manage to get one of those GoPros off kilter! ;-)
Old 08-08-2014, 09:02 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Rlbol
What have you expedition guys found as a good gps? I am trying to decide to either in stall and aftermarket stereo/navigation head unit. Or is there a better seperate unit such as garmon, Tom Tom independent units?

I currently have a non gps jeep headunit.
This will whip the booty of anything else you can come up with for the money ...

Device: Nexus 7 ***2012*** model (the 2013 model GPS is too unreliable--still!)

2012 Nexus 7 32-GB

Backcountry Navigator App

BackCountry Navigator

Maps (which are free)

CalTopo - Backcountry Mapping Evolved

And my video on installing it into your Jeep. Go to the YouTube page for links to images that have more detail about the parts I used ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6UolIlksZs I know, the sound sucks. Watch some of my more recent videos--I've gotten better. :-)
Old 08-08-2014, 08:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Septu
Bruce I recognize a bunch of those places. I'm also glad to see it's not just my pictures that have the horizon ****eyed - and I took time to try and always get them horizontal.
Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
I'm kind of fussy about editing of photos--that is, I don't do a lot since I consider myself a photographer, not a computer artist--but leveling horizons is something I try to pay particular attention to. That is, I fix it post-shoot if I screw it up while shooting (which is really easy with ultra wide-angle lenses). Now the only problem is I don't have a way to fix it post-shoot for videos. And I know all of you have been kind enough to not comment negatively about how often I manage to get one of those GoPros off kilter! ;-)
I just like shooting pictures, its fun. I don't edit any of them, except to make some smaller to post them. After I shoot them, if there is one I don't like, it gets deleted, the others get posted.
Old 08-09-2014, 12:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What have you expedition guys found as a good gps? I am trying to decide to either in stall and aftermarket stereo/navigation head unit. Or is there a better seperate unit such as garmon, Tom Tom independent units?

I currently have a non gps jeep headunit.
I use my Nexus 7 with a free GPS navigation app. If I pay TomTom they'll give me some better instructions (for turning), but I so rarely need it, I'm good as is with the free app.
Old 08-09-2014, 02:32 PM
JK Freak

What is a good cheapish mod. You expeditioners, have done? I was thinking of doing cables, but i have no light bar mount. I have done quite a bit. But something feels like its missing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20140809_163135.jpg
Views:	824
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	570328

Name:	ForumRunner_20140809_163145.jpg
Views:	743
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	570329

Name:	ForumRunner_20140809_163206.jpg
Views:	759
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	570330
Old 08-09-2014, 06:56 PM
JK Newbie

Thank guys
Since the nexus 7 runs android os, could I run all of those programs on a Samsung phone?
Old 08-10-2014, 12:19 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Thank guys
Since the nexus 7 runs android os, could I run all of those programs on a Samsung phone?
I will say a conditional yes. Conditional because unless you opt for Nexus devices running pure Android, I have no idea what your carrier may have done to allow/disallow certain apps/features. I've never had a problem running them on my various iterations of Nexus phones--currently a Nexus 5. And that's one of the nice things about the Nexus 7 in your Jeep: You're carrying a back-up in your pocket!
Old 08-10-2014, 12:27 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

When I go out on a long trip I quite literally have thousands of images to go through and sometimes I miss a few good ones. Did another pass through the Colorado Campaign, July 2013 images over the past few days and came up with a few more I like ...

The adventurers on Johnson Mesa, NM ...

My friend Ray (with whom I was riding, so don't look for my Jeep in any of the pictures) shoots the sunrise at Great Sand Dunes National Park, CO.

Keeping a trailer from rolling during the descent from Blanca Peak. This is Jaws 1. It's just as difficult going down as going up ...

A colorful wagon at St Elmo ghost town ...

Looking back down during the drive up to Mary Murphy Mine ...

After Colorado Campaign ended and the group broke up it was necessary for me to ride with Ray back to his home in Washington (from where I'd catch a flight back to Oklahoma). During that leg we paid a visit to Capitol Reef National Park. The image below is along the Burr Trail as we headed into the Waterpocket Fold ...

Some of the above photos were shot by Ray (duh, of course the one with me in it!).

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 08-10-2014 at 12:32 AM.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

When I go out on a long trip I quite literally have thousands of images to go through and sometimes I miss a few good ones. Did another pass through the Colorado Campaign, July 2013 images over the past few days and came up with a few more I like ... The adventurers on Johnson Mesa, NM ... My friend Ray (with whom I was riding, so don't look for my Jeep in any of the pictures) shoots the sunrise at Great Sand Dunes National Park, CO. Keeping a trailer from rolling during the descent from Blanca Peak. This is Jaws 1. It's just as difficult going down as going up ... A colorful wagon at St Elmo ghost town ... Looking back down during the drive up to Mary Murphy Mine ... After Colorado Campaign ended and the group broke up it was necessary for me to ride with Ray back to his home in Washington (from where I'd catch a flight back to Oklahoma). During that leg we paid a visit to Capitol Reef National Park. The image below is along the Burr Trail as we headed into the Waterpocket Fold ... Some of the above photos were shot by Ray (duh, of course the one with me in it!).

Great pics Mark. I'm still going through all the pics and videos of my trip. 3 videos made and I think 4 to go to complete it.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This will whip the booty of anything else you can come up with for the money ...

Device: Nexus 7 ***2012*** model (the 2013 model GPS is too unreliable--still!)

2012 Nexus 7 32-GB

Backcountry Navigator App

BackCountry Navigator

Maps (which are free)

CalTopo - Backcountry Mapping Evolved

And my video on installing it into your Jeep. Go to the YouTube page for links to images that have more detail about the parts I used ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6UolIlksZs I know, the sound sucks. Watch some of my more recent videos--I've gotten better. :-)
This is something I will have to look into for next year, I am tried of using the Jeep GPS and it not being complete and that is on roads. So I know that it is off when off road, just did some trails around Ouray and a few times it showed me in the middle of no place on known trails, so I am sure it will not help at all on unknown trails

Quick Reply: Expedition Modded Jeeps - Let's see 'em!!