Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Expedition Modded Jeeps - Let's see 'em!!

Old 04-13-2015, 04:17 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by anviljk
I personally have not but am planning on going one weekend this summer. Look into mid atlantic overland festival coming up in august this year. Its by bald eagle.
If you need a second explorer, let me know. Looking into trying Allegheny forest too, but no luck yet.
Old 04-13-2015, 04:25 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Saharaunlmtd
Is the midatlantic Overland Festival new? I've never heard of it.
http://www.overlandfestival.com
I think its in their second year. The Main Line Overland guys hold it. Looks to be a good time.

Originally Posted by kevjeep
If you need a second explorer, let me know. Looking into trying Allegheny forest too, but no luck yet.
Yea I'm down. Add me on Facebook because I'll never remember to PM you here. We go to Rausch a few times as well.

Facebook.com/dmyers325
Old 04-13-2015, 05:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

I personally have not but am planning on going one weekend this summer. Look into mid atlantic overland festival coming up in august this year. Its by bald eagle.
I actually have a hunting cabin up in bald eagle, drove around there a good bit and never really thought of it as an overland spot. Maybe just the wrong roads/trails.
Old 04-13-2015, 05:44 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by scafootballpro5
I actually have a hunting cabin up in bald eagle, drove around there a good bit and never really thought of it as an overland spot. Maybe just the wrong roads/trails.
From what I saw on a thread on expeditionportal.com it looks like a nice place to explore. You wouldn't be able to do a long trip but a weekend would be fine.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...e-Forest-pt-II
Old 04-13-2015, 06:08 PM
JK Super Freak

From what I saw on a thread on expeditionportal.com it looks like a nice place to explore. You wouldn't be able to do a long trip but a weekend would be fine. http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...e-Forest-pt-II
It does look worth checking out from the pics in that thread. Those were some well equipped Nissans in the pics.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:12 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GJeep
Yes it is

Have you seen the really wild and rugged scenery on the west side of the desert? (Along the border with Egypt)

My main use for an inverter would be for a wood saw. Often, after the winter storms, fallen trees block trails. The situation often makes a winch useless, so it's either turning back or cutting and clearing.
Yes, I've travelled along that way though not with the Jeep. I did a couple of excursions to the shores of the Dead Sea and got covered in salt and mosquitos. Didn't realise there were no fresh water showers where I was.
Old 04-14-2015, 11:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

From what I saw on a thread on expeditionportal.com it looks like a nice place to explore. You wouldn't be able to do a long trip but a weekend would be fine. http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...e-Forest-pt-II
Jeez I complete missed out on my weekend up there in the fall...this is all I found
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-568927907.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	606348  
Old 04-14-2015, 12:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

What kinds of food would yall sugest brining like canned food MRE'S or something else we dont have a fridge but can keep things cold with a cooler for as long as we still have ice any help would be great!
Thanks
Sam
Old 04-15-2015, 01:41 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by robbins84
What kinds of food would yall sugest brining like canned food MRE'S or something else we dont have a fridge but can keep things cold with a cooler for as long as we still have ice any help would be great!
Thanks
Sam
There are a lot of variables there. Some considerations:

1. What type of cooking provisions do you have? Gas stove with pots/pans/etc? Grate over campfire? Dutch oven?
2. How long is the trip? A weekend is easily accommodated by most coolers.
3. Is your cooler better quality (Yeti)? These can keep ice for 4-5 days easy.
4. How much time do you plan for cooking? If there are lots of miles to drive, then you may want easier meals.
5. What sort of campsites are you expecting? If you're camping in The Maze in Canyonlands for a week, then you probably won't want to deal with the garbage that elaborate meals could create. And, regardless, it's poor practice to bury any foodstuffs. Wild critters develop a taste for it, then invade human campsites while foraging.

Having written all of that, let me tell you about my plan for an upcoming trip. Background: Eight days with the possibility of one resupply stop in a location that is very remote and likely very poorly stocked (a town with a population of a couple hundred). Campfires will not be allowed during parts of the trip, though charcoal is allowed everywhere as long as the ashes are hauled out. We have pretty much any cooking facilities one could imagine at our disposal, but to save space no one is taking a Dutch oven. Five vehicles, but since our permits do not allow us all to camp together, we have divided up the cooking. I'm partnered for food with a friend who's driving his own Jeep JK. Both of us have fridges, and he also has a Yeti cooler. Here's what we've planned, at least two-three days worth of each meal:

DINNERS
  • Steaks for early on during the trip, corn, grilled. He will have a cooler with dry ice to supplement his ARB fridge. His wife's homemade potato salad, prepared in advance.
  • Hamburgers for early on. With lettuce and tomato and mayo and mustard. A marinaded vegetable salad that I will make in advance and take along.
  • Hot dogs/brats picked up during the resupply run. We figure even a Podunk grocer should have at least that. Some bottled Giardiniera brought from home with us.
  • Backpacker Pantry meals for those days things are running late, and for unexpected needs (have 11 leftover from previous trips).

LUNCH
  • We're each on our own. I will take some deli sliced meats and cheeses, along with a box of Cheeze-its. I will have a loaf of bread, but more than likely will just snack lightly on the meat and cheese (and heavily on the Cheeze-its, LOL).

BREAKFAST
  • Bacon and eggs for early in the trip. My friend is insistent on this. There is no disposal of bacon grease on the early days of our trip--we have to haul it out. I've told him that the grease is his to deal with. He says he'll cook it into the eggs and we'll eat it. I'm glad that I got my cholesterol down a couple months back, making my doctor happy for the time being. Well also have some fresh fruit--apples keep well. Oranges are also pretty good. Just don't let set in a hot vehicle for extended periods (parked gone hiking, etc).
  • Breakfast burritos. I'll have made the eggs/sausage/cheese in advance. We'll roll into tortillas and throw on a griddle to warm up. Add salsa and sour cream. Mmm'mmm.
  • Oatmeal, dried fruit, meat sticks. For quick meals and when we run out of bacon and eggs.

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 04-15-2015 at 02:19 AM.
Old 04-15-2015, 03:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
There are a lot of variables there. Some considerations: 1. What type of cooking provisions do you have? Gas stove with pots/pans/etc? Grate over campfire? Dutch oven? 2. How long is the trip? A weekend is easily accommodated by most coolers. 3. Is your cooler better quality (Yeti)? These can keep ice for 4-5 days easy. 4. How much time do you plan for cooking? If there are lots of miles to drive, then you may want easier meals. 5. What sort of campsites are you expecting? If you're camping in The Maze in Canyonlands for a week, then you probably won't want to deal with the garbage that elaborate meals could create. And, regardless, it's poor practice to bury any foodstuffs. Wild critters develop a taste for it, then invade human campsites while foraging. Having written all of that, let me tell you about my plan for an upcoming trip. Background: Eight days with the possibility of one resupply stop in a location that is very remote and likely very poorly stocked (a town with a population of a couple hundred). Campfires will not be allowed during parts of the trip, though charcoal is allowed everywhere as long as the ashes are hauled out. We have pretty much any cooking facilities one could imagine at our disposal, but to save space no one is taking a Dutch oven. Five vehicles, but since our permits do not allow us all to camp together, we have divided up the cooking. I'm partnered for food with a friend who's driving his own Jeep JK. Both of us have fridges, and he also has a Yeti cooler. Here's what we've planned, at least two-three days worth of each meal: DINNERS[*]Steaks for early on during the trip, corn, grilled. He will have a cooler with dry ice to supplement his ARB fridge. His wife's homemade potato salad, prepared in advance.[*][*]Hamburgers for early on. With lettuce and tomato and mayo and mustard. A marinaded vegetable salad that I will make in advance and take along.[*][*]Hot dogs/brats picked up during the resupply run. We figure even a Podunk grocer should have at least that. Some bottled Giardiniera brought from home with us.[*][*]Backpacker Pantry meals for those days things are running late, and for unexpected needs (have 11 leftover from previous trips). LUNCH[*]We're each on our own. I will take some deli sliced meats and cheeses, along with a box of Cheeze-its. I will have a loaf of bread, but more than likely will just snack lightly on the meat and cheese (and heavily on the Cheeze-its, LOL).[*] BREAKFAST[*]Bacon and eggs for early in the trip. My friend is insistent on this. There is no disposal of bacon grease on the early days of our trip--we have to haul it out. I've told him that the grease is his to deal with. He says he'll cook it into the eggs and we'll eat it. I'm glad that I got my cholesterol down a couple months back, making my doctor happy for the time being. Well also have some fresh fruit--apples keep well. Oranges are also pretty good. Just don't let set in a hot vehicle for extended periods (parked gone hiking, etc).[*][*]Breakfast burritos. I'll have made the eggs/sausage/cheese in advance. We'll roll into tortillas and throw on a griddle to warm up. Add salsa and sour cream. Mmm'mmm.[*][*]Oatmeal, dried fruit, meat sticks. For quick meals and when we run out of bacon and eggs.
Thanks for the sugestions we are going to be carrying a yeti we have no fridge. Our longest time with out resupply is 4-5 days other wise we will be able to resupply quite easily.

I never thought of the dry ice idea i will have to look into that more.

Again thanks for the help and if anyone else has anything they'd like to add let me know. Ill take all the help i can get.
Thanks
Sam

Quick Reply: Expedition Modded Jeeps - Let's see 'em!!