Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Expedition Modded Jeeps - Let's see 'em!!

Old 12-14-2015, 10:08 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KiwiDave
Installing a budget boost this coming weekend on my 2015 JKU Sahara (2K mikes). My buddy has offered up his rubi shocks and springs (30K miles on them). Should I take them considering the exploring and overlanding I want to do with this rig? Thanks in advance for the advice. Cheers! D.
I wouldn't bother with the shocks unless they are free. The springs is all dependent on the JK package. JKU with tow package will have the stiffest springs, search this forum you will find tons of info on it. Rubicon shocks are stiffer than other models.
Old 12-15-2015, 12:25 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by KiwiDave
Installing a budget boost ... buddy has offered up his rubi shocks ...
Those shocks are too short for a budget boost. Really, best would be to get shocks of the proper length. If saving money is important and you're not going larger than 32-33" tires, you can skip the BB. If you're installing larger tires, or you just want the look of a taller Jeep (there's very modest off-road performance gain without changing tire size*), but still need to scrimp for funds, make sure to get shock extensions (which should come with a BB).

*Slight increase in approach, departure and breakover angles. Improved water fording because critical components are higher (think electricals). Increased center of gravity reduces tipover angle--this is bad and is one reason why most who lift their Jeeps also push the tires out with different backspaced rims. Increased height will also reduce gas mileage/range of vehicle.
Old 12-15-2015, 01:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm always learning on this forum. Really appreciate the advice.
Old 12-15-2015, 03:16 AM
JK Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I love my setup, teraflex leveling kit, Monroe reflex monotube shocks, drop brackets going in up front, airbags in the rear, and 33" tires on wheels. Great all around setup for most everything. I cannot think of a better vehicle!
Old 12-15-2015, 11:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
This is a really great question. I hope in my answer below that I don't hurt anyone's feelings or gore any sacred cows. Heck, we all build our own rigs as we want them to be, not as some hoser (me) wants it to be. And we all enjoy different things in what we do--rock crawling, expeditions, trips to the hunting cabin, getting the wife and kids safely to work and school, or just mall crawling. So, please take what I offer below with a big grain of salt--it's a reflection of what I enjoy about my Jeep, which may be entirely different from what you enjoy (though if you're reading this thread, I hope you appreciate where I'm coming from). So, with that ..
That has to be one of the best posts I have ever read! Holy cow! Thanks for that Mark!

Now back to post reading the rest of this thread...

Cheers!
Dave
Old 12-15-2015, 10:22 PM
JK Newbie

Ok so I 'm not this is the place but here it goes anyhow. The question is I'm looking to get a roof rack and basket on my two door 2015 Jk Rubicon. You could debate about just getting a trailer but we'll save that for another time. What I'm concerned with is that in the future I think I will want to put a rooftop tent on the rack. I'm not sure of the feasibility or the weight limitations that racks usually have are stated as 300 lbs. I'm over 200 and I'm sure the tent would probably max it out. It might be a good thing having to leave wife at home, (Not really). Also, new to the PNW north of Seattle and looking for some nice drives so if you could point to the right threads it would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 12-16-2015, 01:31 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by cohoboy
... I'm not sure of the feasibility or the weight limitations that racks usually have are stated as 300 lbs. I'm over 200 and I'm sure the tent would probably max it out. ...
I'm not going to try to answer this, but I want to ask for some clarification. How is it that you're "over 200", assuming that you have an RTT? That is, with the RTT, there isn't much other cargo being carried up on the roof rack. There isn't even a cargo basket. You're probably going to have to come up with other storage solutions if you decide on an RTT. And that advertised weight limit is really for rolling down the road, not for parked and two adults sleeping in an RTT.

Thoughts on other things you asked about:

There is a two door expedition-modded Jeeps thread. I don't follow it, and I think most participants over there are also in this thread. But you might skulk around that thread looking for ideas.

Spicoli, Cascade Wanderer and Machoo all may have some answers to your question. Two are practically neighbors, two use two doors, and one even has an overhead rack. If they don't chime in here, PM them. They're great guys. Check out a couple of my videos to see them in action (I'll let you figure out who's who, LOL).

This is practically your backyard. The whole series is well over an hour long ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JC9zkyXvaik Only the teaser available right now, but does show a two door with rack (near end of video) ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVvyc5kaZCk

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 12-16-2015 at 02:01 AM.
Old 12-16-2015, 03:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by cohoboy
Also, new to the PNW north of Seattle and looking for some nice drives so if you could point to the right threads it would be appreciated. Thanks!
There's a LOT of 4-wheeling up here in the Pacific Northwest... These photos were taken just a few days ago on a NWOL trip in Chelan County:

That was just a day trip, but yes, we even camp out overnight, and longer, in the winter. I'll PM you with some more info on "overlanding" type trips and people here in Washington and the Northwest.

Regards, CW
Old 12-16-2015, 04:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Oh, and re the tent issue - I'm 59 and still just sleep in a ground tent:

I hear rumors that Mark Doiron might even be a bit older, and he still sleeps in a ground tent too... Though he might be leaning towards buying a RTT, after all, he's got everything else ever made for an overlanding JK!

They are nice - but I dunno - something about a mere 6 pounds of tent, handily stashed inside my rig... Easy to set up, good in the wind... I'm still happy on the ground. Maybe when I grow up I'll go for the Roof Top Tent!

CW
Old 12-16-2015, 04:30 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Cascade Wanderer
I hear rumors that Mark Doiron might even be a bit older, and he still sleeps in a ground tent too... Maybe when I grow up I'll go for the Roof Top Tent! ...
I refuse to grow up. ;-)

Quick Reply: Expedition Modded Jeeps - Let's see 'em!!