Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Finally got my winch installed

Old 08-30-2007, 02:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally got my winch installed

I went the cheap route, Smittybilt winch, Harbor Freight plate, and my stock bumper.

Everything seems ok, except for the bolts on the winch have already began to rust after last nights rain. Thanks to everyone who posted the tips on installing one like this, your threads were very helpful.

Here are some photos from today.

Old 08-30-2007, 03:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Looks good!

My Smittybilt winch is sitting on the floor awaiting my harbor freight winch plate. Hopefully it will get here before this holiday weekend.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:12 PM
JK Jedi Master

Looks good. I like the way you cut the bumper.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks. The bumper cutting was probably the worst part of the whole deal. It just takes patience, which I'm a little short on sometimes.

I un-spooled it and wound it back up and that's it so far. I went out to the farm and crossed a creek thinking I'd need it. After all the rain my crossing has washed out pretty bad. Last time we were out there I almost didn't make it back across. Well, today it was dry, still needed to have it in 4wd to make it but it crawled right through it.

I need to get a snatch block and some place to hook to on my bumper, I don't have the tow hooks on front, so no place to hook to until then.
Old 08-30-2007, 05:04 PM
JK Freak

would you post some close up pics of your cuts around the plate and winch, please?

nice job! looks great!

what did you use to make your cuts? utility knife? sawzall? did you do anything (or even need to do anything) to smooth up the edges of the cuts?
Old 08-30-2007, 05:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Great job! I'm glad you found Redrocks thread helpful. He did a great job explaining it so I added my pic.s to help people along.

For others that want the write-up:
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/superwinch-epi9-0-mounted-factory-bumper-12716/

Oh and I never posted this, but instead of using the sawsall, I used my jig-saw for the plastic bumper. I taped it off first so not to scratch the plastic.

Last edited by VBS4; 08-30-2007 at 05:12 PM.
Old 08-30-2007, 05:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks. Sure, I'll get some close up pics but they don't look as good as Redrocks and VBS4's. He's right, tape before you cut, and I think a jigsaw would have been easier to handle although I used a reciprocating saw.

You can cut through the plastic with a utility knife if you make multiple cuts, but the thickness of the plastic varies and some spots are tough. I did go back and clean up my cuts with the utility knife.

I'll try some in a little while and if they are too dark I'll take some tomorrow.
Old 08-31-2007, 03:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Here are some close up shots, i wasn't as careful as i could have been, and I could stand to whittle a little more off.

Old 08-31-2007, 08:14 PM
JK Freak

nice job....looks good

Quick Reply: Finally got my winch installed