Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

frame mounted homemade tire carrier

Old 08-15-2009, 09:01 PM
JK Newbie

Location: Los Angeles, California, United States, United States
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default frame mounted homemade tire carrier

Since i like to save money when I can im making my own tire carrier that ive been working on for about 2 weeks, probably about 15 hours into it and about 30 bucks. Still have to buy a latch from mcmaster and some bolts to mount the tire. I have the paint and all the tools and extra materials so for about 60 bucks and lots of sweat and metal dust, Ill have a one of a kind tire carrier.

I had a picture of the hinge i used but lost it when i bricked my iphone. But its a 7 dollar gate hinge i found at pattons steel. I turned a groove on my lathe into the shaft so i can put a set screw so the 2 peices wont come apart.

I welded it to the frame on a bracket that came off of the frame rail and braced the ish out of it. Had to brace the frame walls from the inside because they were flexing when weight was put on it. Also had to weld the hinge at an angle because the top part of the hinge sits on a shaft with a ball bearing in between the 2 parts, so it fits loosely and hangs at an angle when weight is put on one side.

Next i had to cut my bumper to fit over all the bracing, guessets, and hinge.

Hopefully it wont take me too much longer. Still have to make a stop, figure out how to hang the tire and put the latch on and paint it and make a 3rd light. Wish me luck.

My 1776 69' vw Bus in the BG:

Old 08-15-2009, 09:03 PM
JK Junkie

Looking good, I wish I could do more of my own fab work on projects, I need to learn how to weld
Old 08-15-2009, 09:28 PM
JK Newbie

Location: Los Angeles, California, United States, United States

thanks! if you have the tools which is the biggest problem, its not difficult at all, just make sure to have a good grinder and if your making stuff that goes on cars, make sure you make whatever you're making stronger than you think it needs to be. Mig welding is as easy as pointing, pulling the trigger, going straight and going forward and back to make the stacked nickel look. But anyone can do it even if its a cheap unit and hood. They normally tell you where to put the settings for the material thicknesses under the access panel on the welder. Thats all you really need to know. Also be sure to chamfer the edges of what you're welding so there is more weld left if you are going to grind it flat.
Old 08-16-2009, 05:53 AM
JK Freak

Cool lightweight option to get that heavy tire off of the tailgate. Keep the pics coming
Old 08-16-2009, 06:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by motskater
Since i like to save money when I can im making my own tire carrier that ive been working on for about 2 weeks, probably about 15 hours into it and about 30 bucks. Still have to buy a latch from mcmaster and some bolts to mount the tire. I have the paint and all the tools and extra materials so for about 60 bucks and lots of sweat and metal dust, Ill have a one of a kind tire carrier.

I had a picture of the hinge i used but lost it when i bricked my iphone. But its a 7 dollar gate hinge i found at pattons steel. I turned a groove on my lathe into the shaft so i can put a set screw so the 2 peices wont come apart.

I welded it to the frame on a bracket that came off of the frame rail and braced the ish out of it. Had to brace the frame walls from the inside because they were flexing when weight was put on it. Also had to weld the hinge at an angle because the top part of the hinge sits on a shaft with a ball bearing in between the 2 parts, so it fits loosely and hangs at an angle when weight is put on one side.

Next i had to cut my bumper to fit over all the bracing, guessets, and hinge.

Hopefully it wont take me too much longer. Still have to make a stop, figure out how to hang the tire and put the latch on and paint it and make a 3rd light. Wish me luck.

My 1776 69' vw Bus in the BG:

Please keep us up to date with pics this is exactly what I want to do. I have welding experience. but the ideas never seem to come to fruition.so to see someone actually do it and have examples then maybe I can get it done.
Old 08-16-2009, 06:25 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

looks good!!!
Old 08-16-2009, 09:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Looks good. Nice words of encouragment on people doing their own work, too. Not sure my wife would let me buy all the tools, though. I allready have a lot of tools and hobbies
Old 08-16-2009, 11:08 AM
JK Super Freak

That is smokin' nice. I'll bet the cost isn't anywhere near a manufactured part.
Old 08-16-2009, 01:34 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very creative. Would you mind snapping a couple photos of the hinge and how it attaches?
Old 08-17-2009, 01:50 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by bigbluejk
very creative. Would you mind snapping a couple photos of the hinge and how it attaches?
I would like to see that also. Did you weld something to the frame to support it ?? Have you worked out the latch yet??

Quick Reply: frame mounted homemade tire carrier