Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

full size axels

Old 01-31-2009, 04:25 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default full size axels

does anyone know if we could make full size dodge 1ton SWD or Power Wagon axels work in our JK's? Would they not be equiped with ESP? I know that they would be wider but by how much and could a change in wheel offset make this increase minimal? Perhaps I'm just thinking out of my arse.
Old 01-31-2009, 07:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Northernmedic
does anyone know if we could make full size dodge 1ton SWD or Power Wagon axels work in our JK's? Would they not be equiped with ESP? I know that they would be wider but by how much and could a change in wheel offset make this increase minimal? Perhaps I'm just thinking out of my arse.
i was looking at the same thing....getting new axle from the dealer.....i tried talking to dealer but not impressed with the dealer in my area......not very helpful and get the blow off.....i went to get a ball park anwser and the guy would even look in the computer.....all he would say is do you have a vin......my reply is no....jk vin doesnt match ram 2500?????.....i told him i understand diesel vs gas and gears lockers etc.....i got pissed went to the lot and found a gas and a diesel vin # said does this help.....still got a run around....by that time was tired of the deer in the headlight stare....wasnt even going to mess with the sensors.....i am going to go to another dealership and see if i can talk with the techs...hopefully i can get some kind of anwser....
Old 01-31-2009, 08:02 PM
JK Freak

I know that the bracketry would have to be changed but if the ESP, ABS all the other electrical components including the E-lockers from the Power Wagon would work and plug right-in this may not be that difficult of a conversion. JK bracket kits are available. I believe that the Power wagon runs 4.56 gears which isn't great but better than 4:10's.
Old 02-01-2009, 08:26 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If anyone would know about Dodge Ram's it would be the people at Kore. I had this same idea when we had a brand new rolled Ram towed into my body shop. I crawled underneath it and the wiring plugs even look the same. You'd need the different weld-on bracketry of course and some custom driveshafts but the big question would be the ESP and are the sensors etc. the same.

In addition, the track on the Wrangler is 61.9" and the Ram is 68.2" in the rear and 69.5" in the front which means it would stick out roughly 4 inches on each side compared to stock. That sounds like something that could be dealt with the proper backspacing. Imagine, now you could get a subscription to 8 lug magazine too!
Old 02-01-2009, 11:30 AM
JK Super Freak

I really like the idea of being able to retrofit a boneyard 60 to work with the JK's electrical stuff (brakes, ESP, etc), but I can't be the guinea pig yet. I still have 50 more payments until I own this baby!
Old 02-01-2009, 07:16 PM
JK Freak

I agree that the axelas could be shortened but with that little of difference, running adjusted backspacing on the wheels could almost compensate for that. In the end you may be 1" wider on each side. The trick though would be if the electrical worked. Could this have potential for a plug-and-play?
Old 02-01-2009, 09:22 PM
JK Super Freak

why go full width and shorten the axles....wider stance = stability when off camber....unless I just didn't read this right....my SOLID 60's are full width let u know when they're under the Jeep
Old 02-02-2009, 08:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by x No Compromise Offroad x
why go full width and shorten the axles....wider stance = stability when off camber....unless I just didn't read this right....my SOLID 60's are full width let u know when they're under the Jeep
Yeah.... I'm kind of thinking along those lines. A wider track would give you a little more stability. We are lucky here in MO that we don't have to worry about coverage laws...
Old 02-02-2009, 08:32 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just run the wider axles with wheel that have a lot of backspacing (like H1 wheels which have 7" of backs pacing). As for adapting the axles to work with ABS and TCS/ESP, it would depend on what pulse width theya re designed to work with. If the Ram axles match the JK's, then it should be a piece of cake. If not, you won't have the ABS/TCS/ESP. In which case, the ESP really would not work anyways because of the added width. It would make the tires turn at different speeds when turning when compared to stock axles. But honestly, if I was modding to that extent, I wouldnt want any of that anyway.

Quick Reply: full size axels