Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Half doors? Who has em? Post pics

Old 07-10-2012, 05:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are more noisy than full steel and mine is a daily driver , 80 miles roundtrip to work .
Old 07-10-2012, 05:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Like the half doors

I have a 1/2 door JK and my wife drives a full door JKU with hard top -so I have a good experience for comparison and we are lucky to have the best of both worlds! BTW, in our household the 1/2 door has been dubbed the "fun Jeep"... not that the JKU is any slouch. I'll try to add some new points that haven't been raised to help you with this decision.

General Comments:
-I don't think the 1/2s are really that much louder - provided you are comparing it to a full door soft top. The door uppers do rattle which is more of the difference than wind noise.
-If I did't have a garage at home, I'd probably not be as into the 1/2 doors. Being able to leave it open every night makes it easier.

1/2 Door Pros:
-MUCH easier to run doorless. They are light and I can pop them off with no trouble. I have the Ace Door Hangers BTW. I think 1/2 doors promote running doorless more often for me.
-Previous poster mentioned that with the top down, you are way more open with 1/2s - so true. I always take off the door surrounds so it has the old school Jeep feel - just roll bars.
-Even just running with the uppers off (i.e., take out the driver's upper) is a VERY open feel. Get out of work, nice evening, pull both uppers off and throw 'em in the back... 2 minutes and a great ride home.
-If you don't get power locks, your key is old school with no batteries! Same blank from my '01 Cherokee.
-They are more rare and make your Jeep strand out!

1/2 Door Cons:
-If there is a threat of rain (and you give a damn) you have to schlep the door uppers with you when you leave the house. They are more bulky than the old days and take up room in the Jeep so this is the primary problem with them. I'm not sure if you are considering a JKU but that would provide you with extra storage space... but two more uppers to store!
-There's the obvious "zipper roll down" issue which is a pain when you visit the bank drive through in the rain and have to dump water in the Jeep (or just get out).
-It's another plastic window to get scratched up.

Overall, I really like my 1/2s with the openness and uniqueness they offer. I live in the mid-South and I agree with the previous poster who said climate should be the primary consideration. If I was in a colder climate, I may feel otherwise. Hope this was helpful.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8934.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	339410   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8980.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	339411  
Old 07-10-2012, 07:40 AM
btz
JK Newbie

X2 with above comments!

Along with climate, my other consideration was other mods to the JKU. I took out the rear seats and linex'd the bed. So all summer with half doors, if it looks like rain I just toss the freedom panels in the back. These keep most potential rain off my head and seats. Also quick fix if sun gets too oppressive.

If I had to deal with tops and uppers and potential wet carpet just to enjoy the benefits of the half doors, I might not be so excited about them in the Midwest! Don't underestimate how much space 4 uppers take up if you have to lug them around all the time!
Old 07-10-2012, 08:12 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by money546
I have a 1/2 door JK and my wife drives a full door JKU with hard top -so I have a good experience for comparison and we are lucky to have the best of both worlds! BTW, in our household the 1/2 door has been dubbed the "fun Jeep"... not that the JKU is any slouch. I'll try to add some new points that haven't been raised to help you with this decision.

General Comments:
-I don't think the 1/2s are really that much louder - provided you are comparing it to a full door soft top. The door uppers do rattle which is more of the difference than wind noise.
-If I did't have a garage at home, I'd probably not be as into the 1/2 doors. Being able to leave it open every night makes it easier.

1/2 Door Pros:
-MUCH easier to run doorless. They are light and I can pop them off with no trouble. I have the Ace Door Hangers BTW. I think 1/2 doors promote running doorless more often for me.
-Previous poster mentioned that with the top down, you are way more open with 1/2s - so true. I always take off the door surrounds so it has the old school Jeep feel - just roll bars.
-Even just running with the uppers off (i.e., take out the driver's upper) is a VERY open feel. Get out of work, nice evening, pull both uppers off and throw 'em in the back... 2 minutes and a great ride home.
-If you don't get power locks, your key is old school with no batteries! Same blank from my '01 Cherokee.
-They are more rare and make your Jeep strand out!

1/2 Door Cons:
-If there is a threat of rain (and you give a damn) you have to schlep the door uppers with you when you leave the house. They are more bulky than the old days and take up room in the Jeep so this is the primary problem with them. I'm not sure if you are considering a JKU but that would provide you with extra storage space... but two more uppers to store!
-There's the obvious "zipper roll down" issue which is a pain when you visit the bank drive through in the rain and have to dump water in the Jeep (or just get out).
-It's another plastic window to get scratched up.

Overall, I really like my 1/2s with the openness and uniqueness they offer. I live in the mid-South and I agree with the previous poster who said climate should be the primary consideration. If I was in a colder climate, I may feel otherwise. Hope this was helpful.
I leave my 1/2 and to poff all the time and have no garage. I have a waterproof cab cover that takes me 30 seconds to throw on. had 3 thunderstorms in the last week and the inside has been dry as a bone. Ive also driven home in the rain but made a shade and it does a great job at also protecting the inside.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3558780537.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	339477

Thought someone should post a 2 door. I have no problems in the winter, and in the summer it can't be beat. As far as noise goes it's still quieter than my tj with full doors and soft top.

Last edited by junoh; 07-10-2012 at 08:53 AM.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have full doors on my 2011 and love them for the winter months but damn if I want to take the doors off I have to go home, store them in the shed, etc... its a process.

For next summer I will be purchasing a set of the High Rock Element tube doors and I will add the upper soft doors and enclosures for the tube doors. then I can just take them off and toss them in the back if I want that open air feeling. I will leave them standard black though so I won't care if they get dinged up in the back.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've a set of Bestop two part soft doors, leak a lil in heavy rain, but I love um!
Old 07-10-2012, 09:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LifeOfABombTech
I've a set of Bestop two part soft doors, leak a lil in heavy rain, but I love um!

If I lived in a better area I would seriously consider buying these instead of the High Rock elements... I think they end up being cheaper and a lot easier to store in the back being completely soft.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Last jeep I had came with full doors. Took then off the day I bought it and stored them in the shop. Jeep never saw them again tell I sold it. I bought the rugged ridge half doors and uppers for winter time. Worked good for what they are. Currently waiting for my 2013 to come in with half door option this time. All the full doors where for me was great cob web magnets in the corner of the shop. Mines not a daily driver and I live in Oklahoma where the weather changes all the time.
Old 07-20-2012, 04:01 PM
JK Newbie

Here's a 2011 2dr. I love my half doors! Very easy to remove the windows and they store very nicely between the back of rear seat and soft top. I travel 60mi each way to work all highway, not too noisy or maybe I'm just used to it but I can't imagine being without. Of course, I do have the full doors and the hardtop for the winter.
Click image for larger version

Name:	jeep.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	343565

Quick Reply: Half doors? Who has em? Post pics