Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

I got Jeep bug, Again.

Old 11-12-2018, 11:13 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I got Jeep bug, Again.

Hello all, just another Mofo here googling and comparing online prices for what I want to do next.

I recently acquired a 2012 JKU sport 5spd from a friend, here in Upstate NY, and I'm looking to make it a proper ride. Well, I had a few drinks and didn't take time to research, so I ended up buying some 18" Sahara wheels with used 35" BFG's on them, and to my dismay, they rub like a cheap sweater. I've already ordered spacers, but now I want to get a lift. I see so much going on here about which lift to get dependent on driving style, loads, and usage. So here I go.

I'm going to be stationed in Oahu, HI this February, and I'm taking my jeep with me. I'm not sure on what type of terrain I will see daily, but I'm assuming it's street pounding. But of course, I want to take it out on the trails. Having being stationed in Guam for 5 years, I know what to expect, but they had much more relaxed laws for rigs.
-would a 2.5 spring lift do? or should I go 4" (thinking teraflex)
-who offers best military discount? if any?
-I'm looking to purchase now before my packout. Is S&H terrible for Hawaii?
Thanks!

Since, this is a show thread, here's my beauty, no name yet though.

Snapshot right before it got stuck, and this large log became three small ones.
Old 11-12-2018, 12:00 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Welcome back to the game. 2.5" lift and 35s is a great set up that's going to be plenty capable of most things you'd want to do. No reason to go 4" which is going to require you to address much more from the get go, and really not make you any more capable.
Old 11-12-2018, 05:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts

Make sure you look at Hawaii's vehicle inspection requirements for registering it there. I have heard they are pretty strict and one thing they won't allow is wheels sticking outside the fenders. Better to do a little research before spending big money on stuff that will get your vehicle denied a plate.
The following users liked this post:
laidbackmofo (11-13-2018)
Old 11-13-2018, 07:48 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

A 2-2.5" kit should be fine. I would look into Metal Cloak. I think they have a military discount and are built in the USA vs the Teraflex that outsource most of their products to countries you are defending the country from.
The following users liked this post:
laidbackmofo (11-13-2018)
Old 11-13-2018, 11:09 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by chiapeteater
Make sure you look at Hawaii's vehicle inspection requirements for registering it there. I have heard they are pretty strict and one thing they won't allow is wheels sticking outside the fenders. Better to do a little research before spending big money on stuff that will get your vehicle denied a plate.
Thanks for the heads up! I will be registering it there once I get a change, and will most likely bolt on the stock wheels for that till I get/make some good fenders. Buying fenders is cool, but I need to find a metal shop, or a place with a nice garage, to make my own.

​​​​​​
Originally Posted by TheDirtman
A 2-2.5" kit should be fine. I would look into Metal Cloak. I think they have a military discount and are built in the USA vs the Teraflex that outsource most of their products to countries you are defending the country from.
Thanks for looking out. I decided to go Teraflex. I'm working with them on a lift, and some other parts. Although I do try to buy US made products, somtimes ya gotta bite the bullet. I looked at Metal Cloak and quickly decided elsewhere. I'd hope those prices match their quality.
Also, great writeup on lifts. I read it a few days ago, and it really helped me to understand what I should buy. I know that a locker would be the best purchase for what I'm doing, so that will probably happen later.

​​​​​​​
Old 11-13-2018, 12:36 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Not sure what you are looking at but price wise when comparing apple to apples Metal Cloak is no more expensive then Teraflex.
Old 11-13-2018, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I had Teraflex a long while ago and while they make a great driveshaft replacement rzeppa joint, the lift quality isn't the same. I've had Tf, Rock Krawler, and now Metalcloak on the jeep. I wish I had bought once and been done. For the quality and completeness of the kit, the Metalcloak is very comparably priced.
Old 11-13-2018, 03:32 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the input guys. If I end up kicking myself later, I'll definitely be sure to share with someone else.
I will admit though, you have me spending more time looking at their website, and maybe when I have more time and funds, I'll switch over.
Old 11-17-2018, 06:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I went JKS for my 2.5 lift. I guess they're known mostly for their disconnects but I'm surprised more people don't run their lift. I've had it for 2 years and have been very happy both on and offroad.

Last edited by lowendrider; 11-17-2018 at 06:05 PM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply: I got Jeep bug, Again.