Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

I'll be the guinea pig

Old 03-20-2011, 03:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'll be the guinea pig

Ok so after 2 years of looking at posts and wandering the threads about the Coast direct bolt on drive shaft I finally bought one...I have read many different opinions about these, they hold the joint too far from the TC and the plates they make for these, make the whole thing weeker etc.....I've went back and forth for 2 years if I wanted to do this..

It seems a no brainer since it's so easy to install and you have the option to reinstall the stock shaft if it breaks...that's been my theory the whole time...I know a lot of people on here are curious as well and are pondering which way to go...So far it seems to be the consensus that going with the new yokes is the way to go BUT I didn't want to do the yoke way because if my pinion was off and the thing vibrated then what??? buy adjustable arms, then if that didn't work then buy an adjustable track bar? then what??? so it seemed logical to me to buy the bolt on and use this to wheel with when I go to Moab (my God I can't wait for EJS) and other extreme parks and reinstall my OEM one (brand new) for the other 10 months of the year...It only takes about an hour to swap out so seems this takes care of all my problems. (as long as you don't mind changing them back and forth)

Soooo I'll be the guinea pig here and see how it goes. I know there's alot of you pondering this also so we will see. The install is easy as heck so even my grandmother could do it..I've driven it around an seems to be no vibration. Although I guess I don't know what a driveline vibration would feel or sound like..I'll have to look that up.....I will be taking it off for the drive down to Moab just to be safe but at least this year I won't be ruining my 4th stock stock shaft by tearing the boot...If anybody has any questions about it let me know...The only thing I'm worried about is the shaft has a beefy 1350 ujoint and right above it is the 4x4 shifter cable bracket that is, maybe 1/4" from the ujoint. I'm wondering if it will hit it with any flexing and such. so I have a call into coast for the answer...You can see it in one of my pictures, just below the orange clip on that picture, the rest of the bracket hangs down within that 1/4"... So let the trial begin...See ya all at the BFE madness run..YEHAAAA

Last edited by funtimes; 03-20-2011 at 03:54 PM.
Old 03-20-2011, 03:38 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good luck....
Old 03-20-2011, 03:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mkjeep
Good luck....
Ya i know your thoughts on these, Ive read all your posts and problems...My savior is if I do have a vibration I just use it for wheeling and use the OEM..Oh hey mkjeep, when you had yours on was the joint that close to the cable bracket above it? and did it cause a problem?

Last edited by funtimes; 03-20-2011 at 03:52 PM.
Old 03-20-2011, 03:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

4" and $400
Old 03-20-2011, 04:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

I thought the vibration was due to the angle not the drive shaft?
Old 03-20-2011, 04:57 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by DCJEEP
I thought the vibration was due to the angle not the drive shaft?
From what I've read (and mind you I'm still running OEM drive shafts) it can also be caused by an out of balance shaft.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:30 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by funtimes
Ya i know your thoughts on these, Ive read all your posts and problems...My savior is if I do have a vibration I just use it for wheeling and use the OEM..Oh hey mkjeep, when you had yours on was the joint that close to the cable bracket above it? and did it cause a problem?
I had the 1310, no probs with the bracket. Put a call into Coast, see if others have had an issue with the 1350 on front w/adapter.

Trending Topics

Old 03-21-2011, 03:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

ya I emailed them, but boy seems a little close for comfort..

Quick Reply: I'll be the guinea pig