Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

My Little Passengers 3rd row seat

Old 07-17-2009, 09:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Troysterr
I ordered a deluxe 3rd row seat from Little Passengers about 6 weeks ago, and it arrived today. I'm really happy with their customer service and the quality of the seat.

The only minor complaint I have is that 2 bolts were missing, and they should have included about half a dozen more washers. But I'm only 3 minutes away from Home Depot, so no big deal.

The seat sits pretty close to the tailgate--like 8". So this seat is DEFINITELY for little passengers--probably no more than 12-14 years old. (My kids are tall, so 12 is probably the limit.)

A couple of my little passengers--VERY EXCITED!!

Here you can kind of see where the passengers' heads are relative to the roll bar. I feel pretty confident that, with the seat facing to the rear, the roll bar will provide full protection in case of a roll-over.

The 2nd- and 3rd-row seats are very close together--probably less than 1/2". But they don't rub.

In this shot you can see how close the tailgate is. But my 9 year-old said, "Hey, there's plenty of room!"

Dude, I have the same seat. It is awesome. Turn it around to face forward and the kids will have more room. Also, I took off the headrests from the middle seats so I can see them better with the rearview.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Looks great!

I got one of the fold up seats, due to wanting to keep more storage room, my kids actually fight over who gets to sit back there. That is wearing off finally.

As far as safety, they have passed California and Federal standards. There are many, many, many other cars on the road that I would not want my kids in the back of.

Again, great looking seat.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Yamaha90
what happens in case of an accident?
i mean yeah the seat looks good and all, but for safety pre cautions i don't know about throwing another seat in the back. there was a JK who got rear ended by a dodge ram and smashed the hell out of the back of the small stock JK. for looks and how useful it will be for you, but for safety just my two cents, if this seat is rated for crashes and such, i apologize for my assumption but idk much about these add on seats
It appears, from the pic posted in the other thread, that there would have been room so the kids will be ok, hard to tell from that angle. Here are some questions, what about kids in a side impact? Those doors are kinda thin, and passengers sit right next to the doors, side impacts are violent as hell too. Also, what about if the doors are off, there is no protection between the grill and your body with the doors off. That doesn't seem to be very safe either....

There are risks out there, that we all take, one is sitting inside these Jeeps, or trucks, or other cars that we get into and out of. I'm not trying to be a smartass, but Saying these aren't safe because what you view as being unsafe is wrong. The seats have been tested.

Do you ever take the doors off? I see you have a 2 door that you have lifted approximately 5" to 6". 2.5" lift with 315/75/16, which are approximately 34.6' tall tires. With that amount of lift in a 2 door, that is already rated with a 27% chance of rollover rating stock (3 Stars from the NHTSA/safecar.go v site), you have increased the chance of rollover in a Jeep with a questionable roll bar.

Again, not trying to be a smartass, but we all take risks, everytime we get into our Jeeps, is that going to stop us from lifting them, taking the doors off, taking the top off, climbing up stuff? No. Not as long as there are no laws that tell us different. Just wanted you and anyone else that has said these are unsafe to think about. Did quite a bit of research before I bought my seat.

Agree or not, this is my .02.

Oh, here is the testing info from there site.

Each car third row seat from us designed and stress tested to meet safety standards established by the Department of Transportation, Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. The following tests of the car third row seat frame, seat mounting platform, Type 1 and Type 2 seat belt assemblies and anchorage systems have been completed.

All vehicle third row seating—whether it’s an Explorer third row seat or a Honda CR-V 3rd row seat— meet the following Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards:

1Section 571.207 subsections S4.2(a) and (b). Tests the seat anchorage system and requires "20 times the weight of the seat applied in a forward (rearward) longitudinal direction."

2Section 571.207 subsection S4.2(d). Tests the rear upper seat frame cross-member…in a rearward longitudinal direction for forward facing seats and a forward longitudinal direction for rearward-facing seats."

3Section 571.209 subsection S4.3(c)(2). Tests the single anchorage point, "Other attachment hardware designed to receive the ends of two seat belt assemblies shall withstand a tensile force of at least 6,000 pounds… without fracture of any section when tested by procedure in S5.2(c)(2)."

4Section 571.210 subsection S4.4.2. Tests seat belt assembly anchorage to insure their proper location for effective occupant restraint, "Except for side-facing seats, the anchorage for a Type 1 seat belt assembly or the pelvic portion of a Type 2 seat belt assembly shall withstand a 5,000 pound force when tested in accordance with S5.1."

5Section 571.210 subsection S5.2. Tests Type 2 seat belt anchorage, specifies in part "…apply forces of 3,000 pounds in the direction in which the seat faces simultaneously to pelvic and upper torso body blocks…and maintain them for 10 seconds."
Old 07-17-2009, 10:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by adamisadam
How's this seat holding up?

Did you have to remove the sub woofer?
Yes you have to relocate the sub.

I have had mine for almost a year and it is doing great. I even use the space between the seats as a little storage.
Also with the 3rd row, when you lay down the middle you can still have a decent amount of cargo area. In mine, that is where the dog rides.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Drive safely!

Old 07-17-2009, 11:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JPTwinz
Drive safely!

Would your ride in the back of a 2 door JK? How about in the rear seat of a TJ?

Where these seats mount is in about the same spot as the rear seat mounts in the 2 doors (JK), the area where the rear of the roll bar goes into the tub. The room that you have is slightly less with these third row seats. So, the third row seat in an unlimited, is mounted in the same area as the rear seat of a two door JK, and the space between the seat and the tailgate are almost being the same with a slight advantage to the 2 door.

Here are some pics.

2 door JK

My set up

You can see where the bench is installed on the OP's write up. Right or Wrong, in my mind, through my research and information I have looked at, these seats are as safe as a two door in a rear end crash.

I am not an engineer, I am not a crash test engineer, nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn last night

Last edited by db09JKU; 07-17-2009 at 11:51 AM.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:47 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JPTwinz
Drive safely!

And THAT'S why I'm thinking rear facing would be better, just to put them further from the point of impact. Clearly this is something that wouldn't be used every day. But it's a nice option to have in order to take a bunch of kids off roading.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

that is what an Expedition one rear bumper is for....plus a 4" lift....

Old 07-17-2009, 11:59 AM
JK Junkie

Looks good...your rig is nicely done....Didn't know they had additional seating available for our JK's....cool idea...not for me....no kids yet....and even at that, I would have to have more than 3 kids to even consider this......
Old 07-17-2009, 12:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chumpmann
that is what an Expedition one rear bumper is for....plus a 4" lift....

lmao, that tire and hi lift jack totally blocks your kids view!

still tho, it's a fantastic mod for the more family conceintious buyer

Quick Reply: My Little Passengers 3rd row seat