Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

My old JK and new TJ

Old 12-02-2007, 11:12 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking My old JK and new TJ

Yes, thats right. I got rid of the JK, Just didnt like it. Traded it in on an '05 Rubicon (Ruby) with 20k and a 6spd. Love the inline 4.0 compared to the 3.8. Took it up in the mountains to play in some snow and slid off the road twice, getting stuck to the point where i had to use a vehicle for an anchor point for the winch one of the times. Of course my tires were aired up to spec and have about 1/3 tread left... and there was over a foot of snow on the sides. My conclusion is i dont like goodyear MTRs, they do fine on hardpacked snow but not in the deep stuff, at least not aired up. If i had a compressor I would have aired the tires down a bit...

Stock X, 3:21s 6spd

(Ruby) Winch is a warn 9.5ti, mopar winch bumper.. Thats about it

Last edited by ronniev; 12-02-2007 at 11:19 AM.
Old 12-02-2007, 11:43 AM
JK Freak

Well, in any case, the TJ you got looks like a great setup!
Old 12-02-2007, 12:08 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

seems like a win/win situation to me.
Old 12-02-2007, 12:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Do you think you would have been happier with a JK Rubi or did the engine just ruin it for you?

BTW, I completely understand the irresistible temptation of a yellow Rubi.
Old 12-02-2007, 01:25 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by FlightTester
Do you think you would have been happier with a JK Rubi or did the engine just ruin it for you?

BTW, I completely understand the irresistible temptation of a yellow Rubi.
Absolutely hated the fly by wire, could not change gears without it jerking when you get back on the gas. Very slight but inherently noticeable. 4.0 I6 is proven and bullet-proof. Not so much for the 3.8 v6. Consider the interior of the tj to be alot nicer and home'ier even though i believe the tj to have less storage and room than that of the jk, parts and lifts seem to be a bit cheaper as well since its an older platform.

What it came down to was either invest money in the Jk which i wasnt fond of in the first place or put it down on a rubicon with lockers and a D44.

The yellow has been growing on me
-Ron

Last edited by ronniev; 12-02-2007 at 01:29 PM.
Old 12-02-2007, 06:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

I feel your pain on the drive-by-wire issue. Its not so much a problem with the system as it is the way it is programmed. The revs drop slow for emission reasons, and consequently the "driveability" is really sacrificed.

Its by far my only real complaint about the JK. I've been driving manual transmission vehicles for years, and I stalled the JK before I left the parking lot at the dealer. That 1/2 second delay between accelerator pedal and actual engine rpm increase sucks. Come on aftermarket, lets reprogram this thing.
Old 12-02-2007, 06:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Welcome back.

Oh, and nice choice on color.

I don't really drive my hubby's JK enough to comment on differences. His [JK] drives a lot smoother than my TJ - that is about the biggest thing I have noticed.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:21 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Rafiki
Welcome back.

Oh, and nice choice on color.

I don't really drive my hubby's JK enough to comment on differences. His [JK] drives a lot smoother than my TJ - that is about the biggest thing I have noticed.
The biggest difference Ive noticed between the two was the more car-like ride (yes, i just went there) of the JK. The TJ rides alot stiffer over bumps. And wow, the I6 is really a long motor.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

do you think i would be better off getting this ( ttp://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp;?tracktype=usedcc&searchType=21&pageNum ber=0&numResultsPerPage=50&largeNumResultsPerPage= 0&sortorder=descending&sortfield=YEAR+descending%2 CPRICE+descending&certifiedOnly=false&criteria=K-%7CE-%7CM-_23_%7CD-_249_%7CN-N%7CR-50%7CI-1%7CP-YEAR+descending%2CPRICE+descending%7CQ-descending%7CZ-60053&aff=national&paId=250952678&recnum=35&leadEx ists=true ) or spending more money and waiting longer for a different x, could i just re gear it to the same ratio? what are the advantages of the D44s over the stock x axels? for that price id get it right now, but im hesitant cuz there are no D44s on it :(
Old 12-02-2007, 11:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ronniev
Absolutely hated the fly by wire, could not change gears without it jerking when you get back on the gas. Very slight but inherently noticeable. 4.0 I6 is proven and bullet-proof. Not so much for the 3.8 v6. Consider the interior of the tj to be alot nicer and home'ier even though i believe the tj to have less storage and room than that of the jk, parts and lifts seem to be a bit cheaper as well since its an older platform.

What it came down to was either invest money in the Jk which i wasnt fond of in the first place or put it down on a rubicon with lockers and a D44.

The yellow has been growing on me
-Ron
Out of curiosity, how many miles did you have on your engine in the JK?

Quick Reply: My old JK and new TJ