Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

My old JK and new TJ

Old 12-03-2007, 04:29 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bigwrm
Out of curiosity, how many miles did you have on your engine in the JK?
Ive heard that the system "learns" the way you drive after a certain amount of time. I only had 4.5k miles on it, had it for 6 months. I was just all around dissatisfied with the JK, Nothing stood out that i liked. Hated driving through town with it. Getting going from a red light on a hill was a chore. Had to slowly let the clutch out at 2500rpm and hold it for it not to stall. And theres no equal balance between throttle input and actual rpm. For instance if i just gave it a little gas at a light the rpms would just climb untill letting out the clutch. You couldnt hold it steady.

What it came down to was continue paying on a leased vehicle and put money into it (lift, 35s, gears etc) or buy a better platform to modify that i really like and pay off the vehicle.
-Ron
Old 12-03-2007, 08:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ronniev
Ive heard that the system "learns" the way you drive after a certain amount of time. I only had 4.5k miles on it, had it for 6 months. I was just all around dissatisfied with the JK, Nothing stood out that i liked. Hated driving through town with it. Getting going from a red light on a hill was a chore. Had to slowly let the clutch out at 2500rpm and hold it for it not to stall. And theres no equal balance between throttle input and actual rpm. For instance if i just gave it a little gas at a light the rpms would just climb untill letting out the clutch. You couldnt hold it steady.

What it came down to was continue paying on a leased vehicle and put money into it (lift, 35s, gears etc) or buy a better platform to modify that i really like and pay off the vehicle.
-Ron
Heh, as long as your happy that's what counts. It is still a Jeep+Rubi so it really isn't all that bad. Too bad the dealer didn't do something to modify your jeep. Sounds like it was broken in or "learned" wrong. Currently I guess I'm lucky or because I have a lead foot anyhow that mine just cranks.

Hope to see you on the trails.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

I did the exact opposite. Traded an 06 rubi for my jk. The 4.0 has a HUGE dead spot. Anytime you take a turn in the wet the rear wants to come around on you. No ABS and an ave. of 14mpg on a good day. IMO The jk does everything the TJ did and more, better.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Ronniev, thanks for the info in your posts on this thread. It got me thinking and when I got home today I did a little checking with my JK. Your info has convinced me that it is the throttle by wire that is the sole cause of the shifting problems that a lot of people have. While the gear ratio and tire size will make a big difference the TBW is the real culprit. Automatics drivers most likely would never know the difference.

I am now on a quest for info.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by merfsiu
I did the exact opposite. Traded an 06 rubi for my jk.
Ditto, sold my '03 Rubi
The 4.0 has a HUGE dead spot. Anytime you take a turn in the wet the rear wants to come around on you.
Ditto.
No ABS and an ave. of 14mpg on a good day
You got 14MPG?! WTF?? I only got 12.5 on a good tank.
IMO The jk does everything the TJ did and more, better.
Waiting to see for myself. I just want the ride to be a little better and I need the UL for all my stuff. We'll see if I made a good chooice soon enough...
Old 12-04-2007, 09:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Wow, I did not realize how big your tires were until I saw this pic:

Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx
Now that is a lot of rubber!

Quick Reply: My old JK and new TJ