Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Operating temp for hemi

Old 06-17-2010, 11:21 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Operating temp for hemi

Anyone know what would be normal operating temp for a 6.1 hemi in the summer ?
Old 06-17-2010, 12:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Depends on what temperature of thermostat you have in it, but in stock form I would think 210 degrees.
Old 06-18-2010, 04:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have Aeroforce guages. My engine coolant temp will hit 215-220 in 85+ degree weather crawling around. Fan usually keeps it at or below that. The engine does not seem to mind, that is not supossed to be an unsafe temp.

Normal driving is usually 200-210.

I do worry about the underhood temps on all the plastic and the ECU. One mod that will happen this summer is a vented hood. Just trying to get a snorkel option in there at the same time.
Old 07-17-2010, 06:02 PM
JK Newbie

Here in Sacramento, the air temp can easily hit 105 (it just did the other day). Going up a hill/grade the other day with the air on my Jeep hit ~240.

Last year I had it up to ~260, but that was on the way up to the Rubicon and I had my foot in it trying to see how far it would go.

I am now running the TMD hood and it really helps!
Old 07-18-2010, 11:37 AM
JK Newbie

Default What radiator

are you guys running? I think 260 would be way too high? I'm in TX and have been running at 220-222. However, changed thermostat an around town stop n go 210 its at highway that I hit 222 ? Just not making much sense. I am about to order different radiator to see if I can get temps down a bit as I want to pull my trailer. Any thoughts?
Old 07-19-2010, 03:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Woody99
I am now running the TMD hood and it really helps!
I like the looks and design of the TMD hood. But AEV is supposed to be coming out with a hemi snorkel and their hood is designed to go with it. I hate having an open CAI.

So, did venting your hood noticably lower coolant temps, and if so, how much?

Houston, is your fan running all the time? I have heard of some conversions doing that. Does it kick up to high speed? Mine does not run all the time. It seems to operate at 2 speeds, and on high speed it really roars but noticably brings the temps down. Also, how big is the tranny cooler (I hope you have one) in front of your radiator?

I have the radiator that came with the AEV kit last year. I think it works fine. There is no clearance to fit anything bigger in my rig, for sure.

There is only a couple months a year where it may get 90 or so up here, so the cooling problem is not so severe.

Last edited by Yankee; 07-19-2010 at 04:53 AM.
Old 07-21-2010, 05:34 PM
JK Freak

I've run into 3 others besides me who have had temp issues with the conversion. Mostly under load, at high speed. No problems on trails. Several of us are trying to get it sorted out. In CO, there is a lot less air which doesn't help things. Once we get a solution figured out I'll post it.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:22 PM
JK Newbie

I believe its an air flow issue as I removed my lights from my AEV bumper and temps went down 10 degrees. A friend talked with another who had same issue an he put a pusher fan in front and it brought the temps down. I have heard that on all conversions fan kicks out at 60 that would seem to be one factor in higher temps at 70+mph speeds. I am going with a pusher first to see what happens.

Quick Reply: Operating temp for hemi