Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Poison spyder bombshell install

Old 07-24-2012, 03:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poison spyder bombshell install

Got it in from Northridge and like normal the transaction was fast and service was great! I got the LubeLocker gasket and on it, there is a torque sequence you are supposed to do with the bolts. It's a specific pattern and the first round you tighten them to 15lbs, once done you tighten them a bit more to 35lbs. So as I'm in the middle of the torquing down I was go slow and make sure I just go to the click in the wrench. One of the bolts was taking longer than the others to click at 35lbs but it finally did, but it didn't feel right so I backed it out and sure enough the bolt had stretched! Good thing I backed it out instead of it breaking off in there. The diff cover is great but the bolts are cheap or I just got a bad one...I was disappointed in the parts quality.

I used one of the stock bolts and it torqued right on in..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3867558522.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	344708   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4211568774.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	344709   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4165991068.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	344710   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3166558739.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	344711   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-765861061.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	344712  

Old 07-24-2012, 04:35 AM
JK Freak

Look good man. Definitely on my list.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your lucky because I had the same problem on the front except I had my attention divided between torgueing the bolts and my daughter . On the front its the 11 o'clock bolt snapped right off needless to say the "F" bomb was dropped and I was corrected by my daughter that "dang" is a more appropriate word. Made me feel a little better but as of now I have been monitoring the diff and no leaks yet. I'm getting my axle sleeved and gusseted in august so I'll have the shop take care of the issue at the same time. I agree I wasn't impressed with the bolts that come in the kit everything else went on fine though.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yep one of the bolts snapped for me too on the rear. Torque wrenches are mean sometimes.. Luckily it snapped and still had a lip on it so i could back it out with a flat head screwdriver!
Old 07-24-2012, 08:10 AM
MTG
JK Freak

Are the provided bolts different than the stock bolts? I have these in the garage ready to install.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:31 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by shelbygto2
Got it in from Northridge and like normal the transaction was fast and service was great! I got the LubeLocker gasket and on it, there is a torque sequence you are supposed to do with the bolts. It's a specific pattern and the first round you tighten them to 15lbs, once done you tighten them a bit more to 35lbs. So as I'm in the middle of the torquing down I was go slow and make sure I just go to the click in the wrench. One of the bolts was taking longer than the others to click at 35lbs but it finally did, but it didn't feel right so I backed it out and sure enough the bolt had stretched! Good thing I backed it out instead of it breaking off in there. The diff cover is great but the bolts are cheap or I just got a bad one...I was disappointed in the parts quality.

I used one of the stock bolts and it torqued right on in..
35 ft/lbs is too much. Spec calls for 30 I believe.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tchaap

35 ft/lbs is too much. Spec calls for 30 I believe.
Spec calls for 35lbs... I have it in front of me
Old 07-24-2012, 08:47 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by shelbygto2
Spec calls for 35lbs... I have it in front of me
What are you reading?

These all say 30 ft/lbs

Project-JK.com - Jeep JK Wrangler Resource » Jeep JK Wrangler Torque Settings

2007 Torque Specifications
Old 07-24-2012, 09:05 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer
Poison Spyder Representative

We are sorry to hear about the bolt issues that some are encountering. The factory spec on that fitting is 30 lbs. Our bolts are are sourced from a local well known source, so we are definitely not buying junk here, but one tip I have learned from putting diff covers on my own vehicles is to run a tap through those threads before installing the new bolts. It cleans out any debris that might have entered the bolt holes over time. I do feel your pain as I have snapped off bolts as well and it's a pretty crappy feeling. Sorry for your troubles and if you have any other questions, please let me know.

Timmay

Last edited by SpyderSales; 07-24-2012 at 09:17 AM.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Did anyone spray out the bolt holes? The fluid cant compress and you can break a bolt of easily. Or at least stretch it out. I learned this from experience. It will also cause it to not be torqued properly.

Quick Reply: Poison spyder bombshell install