Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Prodigy Performance Turbo Install On 2011 Sahara 6 Speed

Old 06-07-2012, 09:13 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Evo35
Thats a great point. I am in the process of deciding what I want to do. I won't have the funds until winter. Still being able to limp home is a VERY solid point.

I have read on other (not sure which) threads that "some" people are destroying the clutch when they increase HP in the 3.8. Any thoughts or suggestions on that? I do drive fast, but I won't be racing from a stop light. Just your general go fast on the highway.

Well, in fairness to the supercharger setups, there are advantages. First, you can always remove the belt from the supercharger, and you'll be able to drive home NA, no sweat. Also, I really like that, no matter how cold it gets, you physically cannot overboost a supercharger so there is zero risk of detonation from boost spikes.

But yeah, they leach power from the motor to run and the centrifugal superchargers build boost with RPM so the majority of the gains aren't felt until well after a properly sized turbo would reach peak boost. However, with DOHC motors, dynamic compression decreases when the 2nd cam hits at higher rpm, that is ideal for centrifugal superchargers which is why they are dead reliable. I had a supercharged S2000 track car running 15lbs of boost through a motor that had 11.5:1 static compression. I beat the living hell out of that thing, banged it off the rev limiter, etc... Dead reliable for years.

That being said, NOTHING will compare to the potential power and torque output of a good turbo setup. Get a slightly smaller turbo and your spool will be almost instantaneous. It will die off at high rpm but the gain in low end torque would be phenomenal.

As far as clutches, don't launch the Jeep and I'm sure you won't have an issue. They aren't drag cars but the clutch can take hard acceleration once you're moving.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CourageOO7
Well, in fairness to the supercharger setups, there are advantages. First, you can always remove the belt from the supercharger, and you'll be able to drive home NA, no sweat. Also, I really like that, no matter how cold it gets, you physically cannot overboost a supercharger so there is zero risk of detonation from boost spikes.

But yeah, they leach power from the motor to run and the centrifugal superchargers build boost with RPM so the majority of the gains aren't felt until well after a properly sized turbo would reach peak boost. However, with DOHC motors, dynamic compression decreases when the 2nd cam hits at higher rpm, that is ideal for centrifugal superchargers which is why they are dead reliable. I had a supercharged S2000 track car running 15lbs of boost through a motor that had 11.5:1 static compression. I beat the living hell out of that thing, banged it off the rev limiter, etc... Dead reliable for years.

That being said, NOTHING will compare to the potential power and torque output of a good turbo setup. Get a slightly smaller turbo and your spool will be almost instantaneous. It will die off at high rpm but the gain in low end torque would be phenomenal.

As far as clutches, don't launch the Jeep and I'm sure you won't have an issue. They aren't drag cars but the clutch can take hard acceleration once you're moving.
Now Don't get me wrong.....LOve me some Blower for sure!! I've Got about 25 FI Builds under my belt split Centri / PD ... and have ran across every issue imaginable. If The system didn't come with its own Drive belt....It had it when we were done.....nothing less than 8 ribs for sure. This way....No issues with spinning Factory Hardware excessively as the crank pulley increases to build more boost, No Issues with beafing up the factory tension pulley to carry the stress.... and When things go bad...The Motor and blower are on Separate belt systems already.
Of course these build will never see the deep forest.....where I wouldn't want to be broken down.....thier more at home running the 1320,cruises and Car shows!! I tell all my buddies running blowesr off the serpantine belt....to always carry a back up belt for the system that includes the blower and one that can be routed and function....without the blower.....along with that....always carry another tension pulley for the blower kit as well as the Factory kit.
You will not run across none of these issues running the Turbo......Just install your factory tune and drive your but home! This was one of the Factors leaning my choice for more HP....towards the Turbo kit.
G

Last edited by 03HDFB; 06-07-2012 at 11:55 AM.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thats a great point. I am in the process of deciding what I want to do. I won't have the funds until winter. Still being able to limp home is a VERY solid point.

I have read on other (not sure which) threads that "some" people are destroying the clutch when they increase HP in the 3.8. Any thoughts or suggestions on that? I do drive fast, but I won't be racing from a stop light. Just your general go fast on the highway.

Well,
The natural progresion of adding HP will always lead you to the next weekest link......as will some hard 4 wheelin!!! That said....I haven't had any issues what so ever. The Clutch pedal and grip feels as good as the day I took posesion of the Jeep! I do save the drag racing for the car I built for that purpose.....but I too like to drive fast and that it does!!! Burried the Speedo in 3rd gear with my 3.73's and 35" tires......and I was still on the on Ramp!!! I did plan for the future.....and purchased a better clutch.....but I'm gona wait till the factory goes before I install it!
G
Old 06-07-2012, 10:39 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 03HDFB
Now Don't get me wrong.....LOve me some Blower for sure!! I've Got about 25 FI Builds under my belt split Centri / PD ... and have ran across every issue imaginable. If The system didn't come with its own Drive belt....It had it when we were done.....nothing less than 8 ribs for sure. This way....No issues with spinning Factory Hardware excessively as the crank pulley increases to build more boost, No Issues with beafing up the factory tension pulley to carry the stress.... and When things go bad...The Motor and blower are on Separate belt systems already.
Of course these build will never see the deep forest.....where I wouldn't want to be broken down.....thier more at home running the 1320,cruises and Car shows!! I tell all my buddies running blowesr off the serpantine belt....to always carry a back up belt for the system that includes the blower and one that can be routed and function....without the blower.....along with that....always carry another tension pulley for the blower kit as well as the Factory kit.
You will run across none of these issues running the Turbo......Just install your factory tune and drive your but home! This was one of the Factors leaning my choice for more HP....towards the Turbo kit.
G
Wait, you have 7000 miles on your turbo kit and you would hesitate to take it into the deep woods? Why the hesitation? You seem to have a lot of confidence in the setup and I find this a bit disconcerting.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Wait, you have 7000 miles on your turbo kit and you would hesitate to take it into the deep woods? Why the hesitation? You seem to have a lot of confidence in the setup and I find this a bit disconcerting.

I guess my last post was confusing.....I'll clear it up!! I'm running a Turbo Kit..... Picked it due to the Least amount of parasitic HP loss, Least amount of moving parts, Least amount of maint. parts, Recycle Property's, Its fixes to the factory exhaust system, Boost Response as a daily driver, Ease of changing Boost Pressure, Mileage Gains, Ease of bypassing the system
if issues arise, Past Experience with Owned Turbo Vehicles Which all Surpassed 300K Miles with no Turbo Issues (Lost Of Towing) and The Numbers Prodigy was posting up.
I Have no Hesitation rolling this into the woods....for fun or falling of the grid!
My Earlier post was referring to all my Other FI builds .....which weren't meant for 4 wheelin.
Hope that clears the cunfusion
G
Old 06-09-2012, 06:37 AM
JK Newbie

I ordered a Bright White 2012 JKU yesterday! Won't be here for another 2 weeks but I am pumped!!!
FYI, it still needs a supercharger at altitude.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

I ordered a Bright White 2012 JKU yesterday! Won't be here for another 2 weeks but I am pumped!!!
FYI, it still needs a supercharger at altitude.

Nice Ride for sure.....Did you order Tripple White? The fun box is just about to open for ya...Enjoy your ride and all the mods you have planned!
Old 06-12-2012, 01:09 AM
JK Freak

Well,
The natural progresion of adding HP will always lead you to the next weekest link......as will some hard 4 wheelin!!! That said....I haven't had any issues what so ever. The Clutch pedal and grip feels as good as the day I took posesion of the Jeep! I do save the drag racing for the car I built for that purpose.....but I too like to drive fast and that it does!!! Burried the Speedo in 3rd gear with my 3.73's and 35" tires......and I was still on the on Ramp!!! I did plan for the future.....and purchased a better clutch.....but I'm gona wait till the factory goes before I install it!
G
Thanks for the response. I definetly have no plans to be launching it at red lights. Since you mentioned the new clutch, any input on which clutch to start planning on?

Some parameters - Daily driver (100 miles per day, minimum), using the boost more for on ramps and passing on the highway. how much it would cost (average) to have someone else do the install of new clutch.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the response. I definetly have no plans to be launching it at red lights. Since you mentioned the new clutch, any input on which clutch to start planning on?

Some parameters - Daily driver (100 miles per day, minimum), using the boost more for on ramps and passing on the highway. how much it would cost (average) to have someone else do the install of new clutch.

I Purchased my Exhaust and clutch From Podigy.... good price!! Daily Driver....If you're out on the freeway.....Your cluytch will last for quite some time!!! The only time you'll work the clutch pads is in town...and Stop and Go. Once you install the Turbo.....you wont be working the gears, like I imagine you are now......I know what I had to do while running 35" tires and
3.73 gears. I'm not sure what a shop would charge ya.......I'd make at least 6 calls and then make a pick.
G
Old 06-14-2012, 01:47 AM
JK Freak

I Purchased my Exhaust and clutch From Podigy.... good price!! Daily Driver....If you're out on the freeway.....Your cluytch will last for quite some time!!! The only time you'll work the clutch pads is in town...and Stop and Go. Once you install the Turbo.....you wont be working the gears, like I imagine you are now......I know what I had to do while running 35" tires and
3.73 gears. I'm not sure what a shop would charge ya.......I'd make at least 6 calls and then make a pick.
G
G - Thanks for the response and great ideas.

Quick Reply: Prodigy Performance Turbo Install On 2011 Sahara 6 Speed