Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Side-mount Jerry Can Carriers for the JK

Old 04-28-2015, 10:25 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by FutureDenver
That's awesome and very impressive! Does it latch on under the hood or onto the door somehow? Great engineering!

Looks stable enough but wondering if there is any wobble if magnets would help.
So far they seem very stable, but later this week I'll put one on each side and drive around on the horrible roads in my town with full cans of gas.

Not sure how magnets would be applied.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I guess a magnet near the bottom (with a rubber pad to prevent scratching) could keep the bottom stable against the body when driving on those rough roads.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jahbone
I guess a magnet near the bottom (with a rubber pad to prevent scratching) could keep the bottom stable against the body when driving on those rough roads.
The can mount does not touch the outside body sheet metal. The sheet metal is too flimsy, don't want to rely on it in any way to support the weight of the can plus brackets.
Old 04-30-2015, 02:51 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"FLIMSY "? Flimsy is Jeep-Speak for " Weight Reduction for Fuel Savings ". Bite thy tongue !
Old 04-30-2015, 08:14 AM
JK Super Freak

A few photos of the JK Side Mount with a 2-gallon Rotopax container, this time on the passenger side.

The side mount has holes for both the jerry can tray and the Rotopax mounting stud, so either can easily be mounted.

There's no interference with the door or mirror; also no problems with the radio antenna.

They're still bare metal, so next I'll put a nice finish on them so I can leave them on the Jeep for a while to do some testing with full jerry cans and a full Rotopax.
Old 04-30-2015, 03:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Another wonderful idea Jeff. I love the rotopax option. I got to see the concepts at jeep beach and thought the Africa was not workable with the gas can. I did love the cooler inside the wooden crate in back of the military one. That was cool to see. And the chief was very impressive. I also found myself looking at the renegade going it doesn't look that bad lol. Great work Jeff. Cannot wait to see more.
Donny
Old 04-30-2015, 03:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Rubicon91
Another wonderful idea Jeff. I love the rotopax option. I got to see the concepts at jeep beach and thought the Africa was not workable with the gas can. I did love the cooler inside the wooden crate in back of the military one. That was cool to see. And the chief was very impressive. I also found myself looking at the renegade going it doesn't look that bad lol. Great work Jeff. Cannot wait to see more.
Donny
Thanks Donny. Can you wait until tomorrow to see more? I've got another (different) prototype I'll be posting then... stay tuned.

Glad you enjoyed Jeep Beach, it's a great event.
Old 05-01-2015, 04:58 AM
JK Super Freak

This isn't a side mount, so I guess you could say it's slightly off-topic, but this morning I finished up a prototype Rotopax carrier that mounts to the tailgate hinges:

The hinges it mounts to are the heavy-duty JK tailgate hinges I designed last year, which are now in production:

I've been working on accessories that mount the hinges, such as a Hi-Lift carrier and a CB Antenna Mount:

The hinge-mount Rotopax carrier is just another one of those accessories I had planned for the hinges.
Old 05-01-2015, 07:00 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This looks like a great idea. I have not been a big fan of the mounts on the tire carrier as the tire is already pretty heavy and adding the fuel would add more stress to that area. I am looking forward to seeing how these price out.
Old 05-01-2015, 07:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by uechiyondan
This looks like a great idea. I have not been a big fan of the mounts on the tire carrier as the tire is already pretty heavy and adding the fuel would add more stress to that area. I am looking forward to seeing how these price out.
Because the hinges are designed to make it very easy to mount accessory carriers to them, the hinge-mounted Rotopax carrier consists of a single metal bracket and less than $5 of mounting hardware, so I wouldn't think it would end up being too expensive.

In addition to the parts I've designed, you'd need the Rotopax mount itself, I don't know if that would end up being bundled along with the bracket or not, but street price on those seems to be around $27.

You also would need the heavy duty tailgate hinges to mount it on. I don't have any plans to make this work with the factory hinges. The heavy-duty hinges are on the market now.

Quick Reply: Side-mount Jerry Can Carriers for the JK