Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Steel Grab Bars

Old 12-29-2014, 12:58 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steel Grab Bars

A few months ago I saw some steel grab bars that attach to the A-pillar and I thought, these are cool! No more grabbing the steering wheel to haul my butt into my lifted JKU. Then I saw the price....

So, being the cheap person I am, I started looking for a better option. I found some solid mild steel bars sitting in a metal scrap pile, free of course

and turned them into a functional jeep accessory.... and saved $100+ bucks in the process.

So for $5 I got two 12.9 hex head bolts, and $2 for the flat black paint.... good to go! Of course access to a TIG or other welder is helpful as well as a decent press to bend it to a more desirable shape....
Old 12-29-2014, 06:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Being a pro fabricator and a major cheep ass I also attempted to build my own out of some thick-wall DOM pipe I had from another project.
After about 4 days of on and off messing with it I finally said F it as I just was not happy with the final product. Just could not get the angles right. The angles for the 2 bolt holes that is.

So given said that I know what you went through. HOWEVER did you forget something? There is supposed to be a second bolt going into the A pillar for a reason.
If that 1 bolt gets the least bit loose (and it will as you are pulling yourself up into the Jeep.) Your grab bar is going to blow out or crack your windshield.
Just trying to help.

God only knows I did not want to spend the money to buy Gra-Bars but they are worth every penny of the price.
These things are so solid I feel like I could park by a cliff and use them as an anchor to rappel down with.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:24 PM
JK Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tree Frog
Being a pro fabricator and a major cheep ass I also attempted to build my own out of some thick-wall DOM pipe I had from another project.
After about 4 days of on and off messing with it I finally said F it as I just was not happy with the final product. Just could not get the angles right. The angles for the 2 bolt holes that is.

So given said that I know what you went through. HOWEVER did you forget something? There is supposed to be a second bolt going into the A pillar for a reason.
If that 1 bolt gets the least bit loose (and it will as you are pulling yourself up into the Jeep.) Your grab bar is going to blow out or crack your windshield.
Just trying to help.

God only knows I did not want to spend the money to buy Gra-Bars but they are worth every penny of the price.
These things are so solid I feel like I could park by a cliff and use them as an anchor to rappel down with.

I noticed that too. It's a broken windshield waiting to happen.
Old 12-30-2014, 04:54 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Tree Frog

Just trying to help.

I appreciate the heads up.... I did however take that into consideration and I have a mounting strip that hides under the interior cover piece. It is 1.25" wide 1/8" thick strip that I bent to follow the curve and attaches to the top bolt (next to the sun visor) as well as the bar. I welded a strip of 1/4" keystock to the horizontal tube mount and welded a cradle to the mounting strip to keep it from twisting and hitting the windshield.

I just could not find a practical (decent looking way) to mount the grab bar directly to the top anchor point. I will update the thread if I can figure it out.
Old 12-30-2014, 06:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

You can also try the JK RiGrip by eBay seller : edgs-globalsolutions. He makes an excellent grab bar that is super sturdy! He's in Canada so shipping is alittle longer than normal but totally worth them! There is only 1 bolt in the Apillar and then the handle is attached to the roll bar with an adjustable clamp. If u didn't want to buy these either, might be an easier design to fab.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	589614   Click image for larger version

Views:	196
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	589615   Click image for larger version

Views:	202
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	589616  
Old 12-30-2014, 09:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mtngoat
A few months ago I saw some steel grab bars that attach to the A-pillar and I thought, these are cool! No more grabbing the steering wheel to haul my butt into my lifted JKU. Then I saw the price.... So, being the cheap person I am, I started looking for a better option. I found some solid mild steel bars sitting in a metal scrap pile, free of course and turned them into a functional jeep accessory.... and saved $100+ bucks in the process. So for $5 I got two 12.9 hex head bolts, and $2 for the flat black paint.... good to go! Of course access to a TIG or other welder is helpful as well as a decent press to bend it to a more desirable shape....
I'm a big fan of the guys at Carolina Metal Masters and their billet aluminum grab handles with ball mounts.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1244712991.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	589641
Old 12-30-2014, 09:59 AM
JK Newbie

Me Too! Rock Solid.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2467439562.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	589642  
Old 01-02-2015, 07:17 AM
JK Newbie

I do like the look of the A-pillar to roll bar, but I was attempting to not to modify the factory interior pieces in case I decide to trade my current jeep for a newer model. I would take anything I fab up with me for the new one, and don't want anything to look hacked up.
Old 01-02-2015, 07:34 AM
Mc2
JK Newbie

Totally agree with the Carolina Metal Masters route... I've got them for the front and rear. A friend has the brass knuckles for his. Awesome.
Old 01-02-2015, 07:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mtngoat
A few months ago I saw some steel grab bars that attach to the A-pillar and I thought, these are cool! No more grabbing the steering wheel to haul my butt into my lifted JKU. Then I saw the price.... So, being the cheap person I am, I started looking for a better option. I found some solid mild steel bars sitting in a metal scrap pile, free of course and turned them into a functional jeep accessory.... and saved $100+ bucks in the process. So for $5 I got two 12.9 hex head bolts, and $2 for the flat black paint.... good to go! Of course access to a TIG or other welder is helpful as well as a decent press to bend it to a more desirable shape....
They do look good, but what if you wrap them with your favorite para cord.

Quick Reply: Steel Grab Bars