Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

TPMS Swap?

Old 12-29-2008, 07:18 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS Swap?

Do I have to take my jeep to the shop to remove my tpms sensors from my old wheel/tire and move to the new? or can it be done at home?

Sorry this is in the wrong thread, I thought I was in JK talk.

Last edited by sully151; 12-29-2008 at 07:37 AM.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:33 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by sully151
Do I have to take my jeep to the shop to remove my tpms sensors from my old wheel/tire and move to the new? or can it be done at home?
You have to take the tire of the wheel. so i guess yeah you have to the jeep to a shop.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:37 AM
JK Super Freak

A tire shop will have to do it, however to save some money ask them to only remove one side of the tire from the rim. The tire guy can reach inside of the tire with only the one side undone to retrieve the sensor. Saved me a few bucks when I had mine removed.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sully151
I spoke to a tech at jeep and each Valve has a serial number on it. So when you do the swap you have to right down each valve number and the location (123... Driver front). You can have the tire shop do it when you get your new wheels and tires, but they'll prob. charge extra.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:42 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Leonard Massi
I spoke to a tech at jeep and each Valve has a serial number on it. So when you do the swap you have to right down each valve number and the location (123... Driver front). You can have the tire shop do it when you get your new wheels and tires, but they'll prob. charge extra.
I didnt do that and my tpms works perfect. i just took them all out and then one by one put them on my other wheels.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

It's not called the stealership for nothing. Lied to again, they said they'd have to reprogram the comp for that. Assholes..........
Old 12-29-2008, 07:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Idiots, if that were the case then they would have to reprogram when the tires get rotated, although they would prolly love to get people to believe that too!
Old 12-29-2008, 07:54 AM
JK Freak

probably because they want to charge someone to do that. hehe.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:51 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also thought the pressure sensors would need some type of programming. well I swapped them over to the new wheels with no problems at all.

Then I took it a step further and decided to put my stock wheel/tire back on for the winter ice and snow. I had to piece 5 sensors together from across the country, a few used from ebay and even 2 brand new from an online parts site. I got TPMS service kits for each and put them into the wheels. It has been a few weeks now and still no light. I figured the used ones would already be working, but I never thought the new ones would work right out of the package.

You will be able to remove the sensors from the factory wheels by removing only the outer bead.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

I dont even know what your talking about and I have had three sets of aftermarket wheels and tires on and back to stock wheels on 37 Iroks I have never even seen a sensor that your speaking of is that wierd or is it just me thats wierd?

Quick Reply: TPMS Swap?