Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Trektop NX so sweet.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Redman333
I'm going to be ordering my jku top in a couple weeks here. You guys that have it. I've heard a few people say that it was easier or better to use the factory soft top rear bar instead of the one supplied. I don't have a factory soft top so should I buy the factory one and use that or is the one supplied sufficient.
There was a rumor that Bestop was shipping with the new OE style bar. Yes, the bar that comes with the Nx is a challenge and if you can get your hands on an OE bar I suggest you do it. Since you don't have one to compare to... the OE bar attaches to the bottom of the rear window, and then connects to the tub at the corners on either side of the rear gate. On the OE bar, it snaps into two clips attached to the tub, and when it's time to open the rear window you can simply unzip and detach the bar from the clips. On the Bestop bar the bar attaches to the rear window, some as OE, but the clips are hard attached to the bar and then clipped to the tub. To remove it, you need to unsnap the clips from the tub.. this is a real PITA and the clips hang up on everything in sight. Not to say they don't work.. they do and plenty of folks deal with them just, but if you can get the OE bar, go for it.

Originally Posted by Flyingbrian
Ok I gotta ask what is so great about this top ? Beside the sweet design. I have a 2010 and just flip it back when needed or remove it completely and install the duster. I also have a RR island pocket topper.

Does this take longer to remove and install over the 2010 top on a JKU?

Thanks for the input.
I've had both the OE and the NX..

This is just my $0.02.

- The Nx is much quieter than the OE top
- The Nx is much more versatile. Both have the Sunrider feature but with the OE, it's a tuck and fold and I always found I had unlock sunrider sliding lock then walk around and unlock the other side. Then fold back one side, walk around and fold the other side. With the Nx, I can unlatch it from the drivers seat and flip it back in less time than I am stopped for a red light.
- Versatile.. Bikine top with no rear sail panels is a great benefit, is a much cleaner look and more open. I hated getting on the highway with the sail panel attached.. they didn't stay attached. I know Clover Patch makes a conversion that addresses this, but I think the Nx does a better job.
- Removing the Nx entirely takes about two minutes and there are no metal bows to deal with.. just flop it all back and go. I came close to losing fingers with those metal hoops
- I love the contour of the rear windows.. the back window fits so perfectly it looks like glass and the sides taper in towards the rear. You have to see it to appreciate it.
- Works perfect with my RR half doors and soft uppers, but I suspect the OE would have as well.

Those are the reasons I ditched my OE top for the Nx. No regrets.

Negatives?

- How tight it is to install. But once it's on and has heat cycled, it fits like wet denim on a chicks butt.
- More for JKU's than JK's is the loss of space in the rear cargo area from the angled rear window. But I have a two door, so no big deal for me
- I do think it looks even better on the four door.
- The Bestop tailgate bar as noted above
- As compared to the Freedom top, the loss of security is an issue for me.. but I face that with the soft uppers and the hard top and, the OE top would be the same. I just ordered the Tuffy Security Enclosure to resolve this issue and I am welding the under-seat security box under my seat as well. The fold and tumble front seats in the two door have support bars that get in the way of installing the security box so I am cutting them out and welding the box in place instead of bolting it. Problem solved.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:27 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am trial testing a buddy's oe tailgate bar and thought everything was great. Looked back today and there is aboutba 0.5" gap that runs the full width of thr tailgate. Anyone else seen this with the oe bar? My jeep is a 12 and the bar is from an 07. Think that matters?
Old 05-08-2012, 07:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by mattgt5
I am trial testing a buddy's oe tailgate bar and thought everything was great. Looked back today and there is aboutba 0.5" gap that runs the full width of thr tailgate. Anyone else seen this with the oe bar? My jeep is a 12 and the bar is from an 07. Think that matters?
I can't speak from experience but I was told by a salesman that the 2012s soft tops in the rear are different than the previous models.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

I can agree with everything mimekim said....comparing my oem tj top to the nx. I can't comment on the tailgate bar as I have a hard top. I assumed this was oem style as bestop claims. I will have to look for a good deal on an oem, this bar is less than optimal, but I really don't use it enough to be a real pita for me. I keep the windows out as much as possible. It's pouring here now so it's sealed back up and getting my hockey bag and sticks in/out kind of sucked tonight.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:22 PM
JK Super Freak

the nx looks awesome. my soft top is almost toast, def going with the nx when its time.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:16 AM
JK Super Freak

I can't speak from experience but I was told by a salesman that the 2012s soft tops in the rear are different than the previous models.
I had a 2008 and the softop and bar fit my on my 2011 no problem. There are subtle differences in the design of the hard top out back, but I don't see a difference with the soft top. I have no gaps.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:03 AM
JK Freak

Thanks for the feedback
Old 05-09-2012, 01:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Never trust a salesmen or a serpent offering you an apple.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by dzine07
Never trust a salesmen or a serpent offering you an apple.
Not that I believe him or not. Most salesman don't know a thing about the vehicle they are selling. Plus I didn't care since I wasn't planning on getting a soft top. Knew I was going to purchase the trektop. Just stating something I had hear Dane maybe true. Thought I'd share. You could find out by calling a dealership and asking for the part numbers on the 2012s vs. the previous year.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:38 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mattgt5
I'm using an OE bar from my '08 on my '12 and it works just fine. After looking at the bar supplied from Bestop and reading experiences here, I just went straight to the OE bar, and when I did my install it was only around 70 degrees and there was no way the Bestop bar was going to fit.

Just my .02 cents...

Quick Reply: Trektop NX so sweet.