Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Unimog Axles Feasable?

Old 10-13-2010, 08:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unimog Axles Feasable?

hey all,
i'm at the point where my 3.21 gears are affecting my capabilities, and i'm ready for the next step.

I have a friend who has been aroun mogs his whole life, and his dad owns a unimog graveyard, seen in some 4x4 magazines.

I can get the parts for a good price if i wanted to. but is it feasable to run them on a daily driver, would the gearing be to high for the highway. i have no clue how to determine the wheel speed from the engine revs.

i have a 6spd.

thanks
Old 10-13-2010, 08:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bareass
hey all,
i'm at the point where my 3.21 gears are affecting my capabilities, and i'm ready for the next step.

I have a friend who has been aroun mogs his whole life, and his dad owns a unimog graveyard, seen in some 4x4 magazines.

I can get the parts for a good price if i wanted to. but is it feasable to run them on a daily driver, would the gearing be to high for the highway. i have no clue how to determine the wheel speed from the engine revs.

i have a 6spd.

thanks
I believe that the planetary gears in the unimog axle ends (portal axles) provide a 2.13:1 reduction. If you keep the unimog diff, that's 3.54:1 gearing in there - the equivalent of running 7.56:1. Even with the six speed, you're not exactly looking at comfortable highway cruising.

Also bear in mind that the gear systems inside the end of the portal axles will build heat. The maximum sustained speed that those portal are rated for is around 55 mph - and that's with a +/- 40 inch tire on there.

I'd love to build a trail rig with 'mog axles - but it'll have to wait until I've got an appropriate tow rig.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

thanks a lot.
Old 10-13-2010, 11:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

i likely won't, i drive on the highway everyday.
Old 10-13-2010, 11:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also last I heard all you can run on there are the special 20" rims for those and like the other guy said there are no gearing options for a highway driver.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

ya its a big rim. not sure the size, but you can get military surplus tires, and run inner tubes so u never need to worry about blowing a bead
Old 10-19-2010, 08:01 AM
JK Freak

I used to have mogs on my TJ (now it's 2 steering rockwells), and I loved it. Although, my TJ wasn't a d/d....... I was running a stock 4.0, 5spd, teralow, w/ 44" boggers. GPS would go about 65mph no prob........

If you are after an axle swap on your d/d I would go d60.....

My recomendation to you is, just regear your axles though. Cuz your talking about some drastic changes to your rig........ to from stock to mogs or 60's is a big deal.

And whom ever said that mogs can only run 20" wheels is way wrong....... I was running re-centered H1's (16.5" wheels).......

Pic of my TJ on mogs:

Old 10-19-2010, 08:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DFW Rusty
I used to have mogs on my TJ (now it's 2 steering rockwells), and I loved it. Although, my TJ wasn't a d/d....... I was running a stock 4.0, 5spd, teralow, w/ 44" boggers. GPS would go about 65mph no prob........

If you are after an axle swap on your d/d I would go d60.....

My recomendation to you is, just regear your axles though. Cuz your talking about some drastic changes to your rig........ to from stock to mogs or 60's is a big deal.

And whom ever said that mogs can only run 20" wheels is way wrong....... I was running re-centered H1's (16.5" wheels).......

Pic of my TJ on mogs:

I was told about the 20" rims by my local four wheel drive shop cause I was about to by unimog axles to put under my project. This was about 5 or 6 years ago. Which is why I ended up getting a Dana 60 and a 14 bolt.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
Old 10-19-2010, 09:56 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Jerrod710
I was told about the 20" rims by my local four wheel drive shop cause I was about to by unimog axles to put under my project. This was about 5 or 6 years ago. Which is why I ended up getting a Dana 60 and a 14 bolt.

Understood........ I have learned over the years, many if not most of the offroad shops dont know everything. It is wisest to do your own research via the web and actual offroaders (not shops). Cuz I have learned, that almost all shops are either biast to a product, or will try and veer you away from an idea you have just because they either dont carry the products to do it or are un-capable of doing such projects.

IE:
In my younger years, I went to a local OR shop called Mikes Off Road here in the DFW area. I was wanting a coil suspension on my CJ-5. The guy was very down on the idea and kept saying "if you want that, get a TJ" and " good luck getting a coil suspension on a CJ-5" I found a nother shop here in the DFW called No Limits.... I proposed the same idea to him and his reply was " when can you bring it in".
Old 10-19-2010, 02:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DFW Rusty
Understood........ I have learned over the years, many if not most of the offroad shops dont know everything. It is wisest to do your own research via the web and actual offroaders (not shops). Cuz I have learned, that almost all shops are either biast to a product, or will try and veer you away from an idea you have just because they either dont carry the products to do it or are un-capable of doing such projects.

IE:
In my younger years, I went to a local OR shop called Mikes Off Road here in the DFW area. I was wanting a coil suspension on my CJ-5. The guy was very down on the idea and kept saying "if you want that, get a TJ" and " good luck getting a coil suspension on a CJ-5" I found a nother shop here in the DFW called No Limits.... I proposed the same idea to him and his reply was " when can you bring it in".
The guy said it was possible to do, I didn't go ahead with them cause I did not like the gearing cause I wanted to go at least 70mph. And I did not see any other gearing options in magazines or on the web.

Quick Reply: Unimog Axles Feasable?