Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Well...Going under the knife!

Old 08-14-2015, 05:15 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Well...Going under the knife!

So not really much to "Show" but I can "Tell"...

I don't wheel often but when I do, I like to be prepared. I'd hate to be out in the stick and get stuck and I could really use some more low end grunt with my 35's. So....Ol Blue is going in to get new 4.56's and a rear ARB locker. I figure I can do the front at some other time but the rear would at least get me out of must jams we have here in Florida. Getting stoked but parts won't be here til Monday so I'll drop the Jeep off on Tuesday to get it all done. Should be fun. I'm also having them quote me for trussing and doing the gussets since it'll be on the lift.

Trying to figure out if I should do anymore fun stuff while it's going in for surgery...Control arms?! I dunno. I'll post my impressions once I'm back on the road!
Old 08-14-2015, 08:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As long as you know that you can't put it in 4wheel without matching gear ratios then I wish you luck!!
Old 08-14-2015, 08:45 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Blizz
As long as you know that you can't put it in 4wheel without matching gear ratios then I wish you luck!!
No...I'm getting the front and rear re-geared. Just the rear is getting the locker though!
Old 08-14-2015, 09:35 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I just had mine done recently. I put a locker in the front though instead of the back. But if you do have gussets done, that is a good time to upgrade your ball joints. That's what I did.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:12 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 14Sport
I just had mine done recently. I put a locker in the front though instead of the back. But if you do have gussets done, that is a good time to upgrade your ball joints. That's what I did.
So I had went back and forth with them regarding a locker up front versus the back. In the end, I decided rear based on some of their suggestions. I highly doubt I'll ever use it since the gnarliest the Jeep will see is probably Lazy Springs. BUTTTTT...Did you do your gussets and truss when you got the front locker put in? I'm just trying to make the lil 30 at least reliable for what I'll do around here.

Follow up....I was looking at doing the ball joints but isn't the labor super nasty with it? I was wondering if I could tackle it on my own but I guess since things will be ripped apart, it makes sense to do it now.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:14 AM
JK Freak

Also...which gears did you have previously? I'm currently running 3.73's and curious as to whether or not I'll have a "WOW" factor with the 35's.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:45 AM
JK Junkie

Yes I had the gussets installed with the gears and locker. I only had to pay for the locker itself, no installation costs for the locker. I did not truss it. I had the ball joints done because they remove them to gusset so again it was just the cost of the parts. Some shops don't remove them when gusseting so there may be a small charge.

I went from 3.73s to 4.56s. It is a lot better but I actually thought there would be more power off the line than there is. I don't see you getting a wow factor to be honest. Maybe with 4.88s. It actually feels closer to stock. But the highway is nice again. And make sure you flash the new gears or you will go in to limp mode.

Last edited by 14Sport; 08-14-2015 at 11:18 AM.
Old 08-14-2015, 12:25 PM
JK Freak

Good stuff. Yeah, I updated the firmware on my flashpaq last night since I figured I'd need it.

You talked me into it. The cost to do the truss and gussets wasn't as much as I expected and they said no charge on labor for ball joints so what the hey! Getting stoked to have some peace of mind.

About the wow... Cool. No sweat. I'll just be happy on the highway since I drive a lot of it.
Old 08-14-2015, 12:58 PM
JK Junkie

FWIW, I paid 3k for everything.
Old 08-14-2015, 01:33 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 14Sport
FWIW, I paid 3k for everything.

I'm about right there. I think $300 more just for the truss kit and labor.

Quick Reply: Well...Going under the knife!