Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

What should I do to my stock JK?

Old 04-13-2010, 09:12 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What should I do to my stock JK?

i have a red rock crystal pearl jk unlimited x with a hardtop. I haven't done anything to it. But I want to do alot of stuff to it. I am only 16 so its gonna have to stay reasonably low on the price. No more than $100 per thing. I'm talking about performance and exterior and interior. EVERYTHING. and I live in Baton Rouge, Louisiana if it helps out. Thanks yall.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:29 AM
JK Newbie

Yea, I already have some floor mats, but the grab handles sound good. thanks
Old 04-13-2010, 09:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Im a fan of free mods like:
Fender Trim
Bumper Chop
Grill Mesh

Cheaper Mods:
Used BB Lift
Grab Handles
Seat Covers
Mirror Relocation Bracket

Sell silly hardtop and buy soft top for cheap of craigslist and use that money to fund STUFF
Old 04-13-2010, 09:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by freakybutkewl
i have a red rock crystal pearl jk unlimited x with a hardtop. I haven't done anything to it. But I want to do alot of stuff to it. I am only 16 so its gonna have to stay reasonably low on the price. No more than $100 per thing. I'm talking about performance and exterior and interior. EVERYTHING. and I live in Baton Rouge, Louisiana if it helps out. Thanks yall.
Welcome to the Forums. And you're at a great age to start learning on how to do all this stuff yourself. .

I would browse all the FAQ's to begin with, just for starters get all the terminology/dialogue down.

I would also advise you to stay within this section to do some mods yourself:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/foru...9-JK-Write-Ups

Then, Check the "Cheap Mods".

Keep an eye on this thread:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...should-be-done

I just did this over the weekend, it cost me Thirty Dollars:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...4194-Grill-Mod
Old 04-13-2010, 09:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Here are a few inexpensive mods that I've done to convert your stock Jeep more your own:

1. Mastercraft grab handles (front & rear) - $60. www.northridge4x4.com
2. Daystar Upper Dash Panel - $30 www.northridge4x4.com
3. Black 14" shorty Antenna - $18 www.shortyantennasource.com
4. project JK logo sticker to replace ugly yellow Sahara sticker (pair) - $8. www.project-jk.com/store
4. Replace 'Wrangler' & "unlimited' stickers in black (pair) - $18. www.pixeldecals.com
5. MPAC Tailgate storage system - $170. www.springtailsolutions.com
6. Tinted front windows to match (both) - $120. local shop

There are a ton of cheap mods and accessories and you can find millions of this forum...that's where I learned of all mine!

PM me with any questions or specifics.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by freakybutkewl
Welcome to the forum... Awesome to see young Jeepers! If I were you I'd keep saving those $100.00's and build it up to afford something with impact rather than just nickle and dimeing things. You could end up with a nice front bumper in no time and IMHO that makes a HUGE difference on our JK's! If you are wheeling it anytime soon than a high lift jack and some nice recovery straps makes a TON of sense and could really help you get your rig out of a jam and for not much more the the $100 of which you speak!
Old 04-14-2010, 02:03 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Do you wheel? Some sway bar disconnects would be nice, if slightly over you $100 budget. You can also just get out the tools and disconnect the sway bar, but the QDs make life at the trail head a bit easier. Also, if you know you can air back up, some Staun tire deflators would be nice. Again, something you can do by hand, but the Stauns make that trailhead time go by more quickly. Throw in a cheap air compressor and you have a couple off-road performance mods, even if they don't really help in the appearance department. Also, zip-tie the hood if it still has stock latches. A buck to stop the hood dance cold.
Old 04-14-2010, 05:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

First welcome to the forum and Jeepin'!!

My advice is to spend some time here reading as much as you can and looking at as many pictures as you can. You'll get some great ideas from what others have done and how they use their JK's.

You've already been directed to some great threads that show cheap or free mods so I won't repeat those.

If you plan on wheeling your Jeep, I would invest in a tow strap (no hooks, many clubs won't allow them) and some other trail basics like a first aid kit and some basic tools.

If you're going for just looks, thats fine as well. Like I said, if you look through the threads they will give you an idea of what is possible from mild to wild. Seeing a mod on someone else's Jeep may save you a few $$ as what looks good in a catalog may not look as good installed. You will also find that you may prefer to do mod's in stages. I.E. tires first then lift if you think the Jeep looks funny with a 3.5 lift and stock tires.

There's nothing wrong with running stock for a while while you save the $$. It's painful I know and I fight the urge every day not to order something, but it feels really good to save up for something and get exactly what you want instead of comprimising and getting a cheaper version of lift, tires, lights etc.

Quick Reply: What should I do to my stock JK?