Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

What's your lighting setup?

Old 06-17-2011, 04:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's your lighting setup?

Lighting is probably next on my list of mods - lights lights everywhere! I'm going to be installing Hella fogs on the corner positions of my (soon to be shipped ) 3 hoop offroad bumper to replace my stock fogs. But it got me wondering what should I put on the other locations?

Grill mount (two or three on top of the middle bumper hoop)
Mirror mounts (one at each side mirror location)
Top of windshield mounts (up to five lights on a light bar)
Rear mounts (two lights off a tire carrier or roof rack facing rearwards)

What do you recommend for each of these locations - driving, floods, fogs or long range beams, and why? And what are you currently running with?
Old 06-17-2011, 07:14 AM
JK Newbie

I am running the KC Slimlights 100w driving near the mirrors. They do glare a little off of the hood, but with low beams and fogs, they are literally night and day over the stock headlights. Plus I like the look, even when they are off.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:30 AM
JK Super Freak

lightforce 140's on the windshield. love them! when i finally decide on a front bumper i will add some 170 hid's on there too.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:55 AM
JK Newbie

I am running two Amber dually Rugged Ridge LED lights on my bumper with flood as fog lights. On my hood on the KC hood light bracket(the one that bolts to the hood hinges) I have 6 Vision X solo light pods set up with the outer lights the wide angle (35*) the mid position (15*) and the centers are (10*). They do light up the hood a bit, but not excessively so.
I had a 30" Rugged Ridge led lightbar on my front bumper until I installed my winch and my Carr Rota bar, I plan to put a 46-50" led light bar on the rota bar.
My head lights are the Truck-lite LED's, which are better than the stock head lights...

A word of caution about the KC hood light bracket in conjunction with the AEV hood, the light bar interferes with the operation of the windshield washer nozzle. I tolerated no windshield washer fluid for ~8 months, then I stuck a couple washers under the bracket to raise it up a little.

I like the LED's for their low power consumption, long service life and durability.. And the crisp white light. And in the case of the amber dually's I like the fact that a filter isn't soaking up usable light to make the light orangey yellow.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just run the JK 920H4 IPF replacement headlights (from Northridge 4x4) and a couple windshield bracket mounted KC 130w long range Slimslights.

The KC's work fine on the back roads and trails, and the IPF headlights are way better than the stock candle's the JK had.

Maybe $320 into the whole setup.

I have no fog lights. May wire up some proper reverse light floods soon though.

Last edited by Yankee; 06-17-2011 at 08:33 AM.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:47 AM
JK Super Freak

I've got 2 Hella 1000 Black Magics on the RR front Bumper, Hella 500 Black Magics on the RR windshield brackets and 4 on the CARR RotoBar light bar. All are run to the RR A-pillar switch pod. I love the set-up. I'm in for about $700 including light bar and windshield brackets.
On the factory side, I'm running Silver Stars in the headlights and dogs, and I replaced my clear fogs with some aftermarket amber-lensed direct replacements.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2699274098.jpg
Views:	639
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	172550   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2713644316.jpg
Views:	701
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	172551  

Last edited by Orangeav; 06-17-2011 at 06:33 PM.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Orangeav
I've got 2 Hella 1000 Black Magics on the RR front Bumper, Hella 500 Black Magics on the RR windshield brackets and 4 on the CARR RotoBar light bar. All are run to the RR A-pillar switch pod. I love the set-up. I'm in for about $700 including light bar and windshield brackets.
On the factory side, I'm running Silver Stars in the headlights and dogs, and I replaces my clear fogs with some aftermarket amber-lensed direct replacements.
Now that's what I call LIGHTS!

I know it's not terribly legal but do you ever use those on people who cut you off?
Old 06-17-2011, 06:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ChryslerChris
Now that's what I call LIGHTS!

I know it's not terribly legal but do you ever use those on people who cut you off?
LOL! I don't know if people are afraid that I will or not, but surprisingly I haven't been messed with too much. I am, however prepared "enlighten" people of their bad driving if need be.
Old 06-17-2011, 06:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by akseminole
I am running two Amber dually Rugged Ridge LED lights on my bumper with flood as fog lights. On my hood on the KC hood light bracket(the one that bolts to the hood hinges) I have 6 Vision X solo light pods set up with the outer lights the wide angle (35*) the mid position (15*) and the centers are (10*). They do light up the hood a bit, but not excessively so.
I had a 30" Rugged Ridge led lightbar on my front bumper until I installed my winch and my Carr Rota bar, I plan to put a 46-50" led light bar on the rota bar.
My head lights are the Truck-lite LED's, which are better than the stock head lights...

A word of caution about the KC hood light bracket in conjunction with the AEV hood, the light bar interferes with the operation of the windshield washer nozzle. I tolerated no windshield washer fluid for ~8 months, then I stuck a couple washers under the bracket to raise it up a little.

I like the LED's for their low power consumption, long service life and durability.. And the crisp white light. And in the case of the amber dually's I like the fact that a filter isn't soaking up usable light to make the light orangey yellow.
I gotta see a picture of this setup, please post
Old 06-17-2011, 06:40 PM
JK Jedi

Another vote for Light Force 240 Blitz. Why? because they're crazy bright and pretty much bulletproof...

Quick Reply: What's your lighting setup?