Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

09 hartop changes

Old 08-21-2008, 01:28 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Still No leaks in my '07. I believe it was built in 4/07. Maybe they solved some of the problems from the early ones built in '06?
Old 08-21-2008, 01:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

my 08 has no problem whatsoever...
Old 08-21-2008, 01:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by petro
I have an '09 and didn't notice anything different from the '07 or '08's I looked at. I'd be happy to post some pics if someone could tell me what to look for?
hmmmmm...thats wierd.....sure post some pictures. If anyone has pictures of the altered hard top and windshield post those too.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:44 PM
Zee
JK Freak

Thank God my hard top or soft top has not leaked, except when I have the back windows out of my soft top in the rain, then it leaks
Old 08-21-2008, 01:47 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

mine leaks all the time...do I give a crap? no...its a jeep. if I want leak proof I would have bought a grand cherokee.

Now I don't like that it leaks so much, but its no biggie..i can fix it but I haven't.

On topic, I'm really glad they've made improvements...because that means in a few years I can buy a new hard top that won't have any problems, once my current one is dead.

Anyone who complains just needs to face facts that the risk you take when buying a vehicle in its first or second model year will have problems. That doesn't mean it's ok, but it does mean it'll happen.

That's the way I see it at least.
Old 08-21-2008, 02:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

if you can take a pic, the main difference i saw was the forward/center latch on the freedom panels. it now latches to the windshield header. i have no idea what is different about the windshield header, but i could tell that the header seal was squished "inward" as apposed to my 07' where it wants to squish outward.
the other item i saw was the fiberglass shape around the main forward latches on each freedom panel. It’s different, but i can't tell how it benefits the change. if anything, i would love to see the bottom on the leading edge of the freedom panels, once removed.

i'm well aware there are many of you out there that don’t have leaks... congrats...., but i do, and sometimes they are more than just drips. the soft-top leaks on the passenger front door. (i think the door may be sagging) and the hardtop leaks in the center at the windshield (in bright sun, i can literally see a pinhole of daylight in the "T" joint) i may have found a fix for that too. (but it still sux)

on a side note, did i post this in the right section? this is a "discussion" item... no?
Old 08-21-2008, 03:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 08 soft top leaks like crazy. pass, and driver side. seats, carpet, soaked. It's GREAT!!!
Old 08-21-2008, 04:11 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by oli~d
if you can take a pic, the main difference i saw was the forward/center latch on the freedom panels. it now latches to the windshield header. i have no idea what is different about the windshield header, but i could tell that the header seal was squished "inward" as apposed to my 07' where it wants to squish outward.
the other item i saw was the fiberglass shape around the main forward latches on each freedom panel. It’s different, but i can't tell how it benefits the change. if anything, i would love to see the bottom on the leading edge of the freedom panels, once removed.

i'm well aware there are many of you out there that don’t have leaks... congrats...., but i do, and sometimes they are more than just drips. the soft-top leaks on the passenger front door. (i think the door may be sagging) and the hardtop leaks in the center at the windshield (in bright sun, i can literally see a pinhole of daylight in the "T" joint) i may have found a fix for that too. (but it still sux)

on a side note, did i post this in the right section? this is a "discussion" item... no?
i have both tops and both tops leakED yes as is past tense and no longer do.... as for the leak from the center of the windshield with the hard top, i cut two slits in the weather stripping on top the windshield each about 10 inches from the center, then made a 25 inch long needle out of some wire, and threaded 1/4" sticky foam weatherstripping from the hardware store through my large homemade needle, i stuck both sticky surfaces together to make it 1/2" weatherstripping and fed it through the 20 inch long section of weatherstripping on top of the jeeps windshield between the slits i made, since then, not a drop gets in, and while it never poured into the jeep before, it certainly go in more than a drop here or there.

as for the soft top, i used to get the leak in hard rain especially when parked, it would come through passenger side door and drip all over the oval that encompasses the handle. So i took some 1/2" sticky high density weatherstripping from the hardware store and cut a 15" long peice. Opened the passenger door, peeled away the factor weatherstipping at the front top corner of the door, adhered to the 1/2" stuff to the painted surface so that it is now sandwiched between the doors original seal, and the painted surface of the door. about half the 15" peice across the top of the door and the other half goes around the corned down the front slanted portion of the door.

since then, no leaks.... sorry i don't have pics, but i'm hoping that if you print this out, take it to your jeep, and look at where i'm talking about while you read it, you'll see what i'm talking about.

good luck
Old 08-21-2008, 04:11 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My top doesn't leak, it is just cracking around the bolts that hold it on, and I do care about that since I got it about 1 month ago. If I can see it now, just imagine in a year or two.
Old 08-21-2008, 04:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by yellowjeeper85
i have both tops and both tops leakED yes as is past tense and no longer do.... as for the leak from the center of the windshield with the hard top, i cut two slits in the weather stripping on top the windshield each about 10 inches from the center, then made a 25 inch long needle out of some wire, and threaded 1/4" sticky foam weatherstripping from the hardware store through my large homemade needle, i stuck both sticky surfaces together to make it 1/2" weatherstripping and fed it through the 20 inch long section of weatherstripping on top of the jeeps windshield between the slits i made, since then, not a drop gets in, and while it never poured into the jeep before, it certainly go in more than a drop here or there.

as for the soft top, i used to get the leak in hard rain especially when parked, it would come through passenger side door and drip all over the oval that encompasses the handle. So i took some 1/2" sticky high density weatherstripping from the hardware store and cut a 15" long peice. Opened the passenger door, peeled away the factor weatherstipping at the front top corner of the door, adhered to the 1/2" stuff to the painted surface so that it is now sandwiched between the doors original seal, and the painted surface of the door. about half the 15" peice across the top of the door and the other half goes around the corned down the front slanted portion of the door.

since then, no leaks.... sorry i don't have pics, but i'm hoping that if you print this out, take it to your jeep, and look at where i'm talking about while you read it, you'll see what i'm talking about.

good luck

great feedback. i'll give the header thing a shot... Still think my passenger door is sagging though. The fit is deffinatly different than all the other doors. Thanks!!

Quick Reply: 09 hartop changes