Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

2 and 4 door built at the same time?

Old 12-29-2011, 08:46 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 and 4 door built at the same time?

Wasnt shure if jeep builds the 4 door and 2 door at the same time or they had to change production.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:57 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jeeps4life
Wasnt shure if jeep builds the 4 door and 2 door at the same time or they had to change production.
There would be subtle changes to the line to accommodate the production of one after the other. Contingent on plant scheduling, which is based on production orders, it's plausible to run both models in the same day. I would highly doubt they go back and forth throughout the day and I further doubt that the line handles both at the same time. I suppose it is possible... but my answer is based off how Ford, GM, and Honda segregate different models being produced in same facilities.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:01 AM
JK Super Freak

They are run down the same line at the same time. The production is sequenced. Know this for a fact.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:55 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ChryslerChris
They are run down the same line at the same time. The production is sequenced. Know this for a fact.
Thanks im looking for a 2door Rubicon automatic. Kinda hard to find.hoping one will pop up soon not loaded up......
Old 12-29-2011, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

It was this way 15 years ago when I worked at the Dodge Warren Truck plant. Dakota's and all it's cab variations followed directly behind in the same line by a RAM Cummins Turbo Diesel was a common sight. 2 door vs. 4 door is hardly an issue.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:57 AM
JK Freak

So the line is setup in, effectively, boy-girl-boy-girl order? Makes sense... most other manufacturers change the line contingent on which model is to be run, as there is naturally a great deal of difference between varying models.Cool.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Boxer
So the line is setup in, effectively, boy-girl-boy-girl order? Makes sense... most other manufacturers change the line contingent on which model is to be run, as there is naturally a great deal of difference between varying models.Cool.
I believe he means they're "Sequenced" in that other part sub assemblies come in from separate assembly lines to the main artery. In other words there are sub assembly lines, where things like Engines, Axles, Dash clusters, etc. get assembled and when these sub assemblies come into the main artery those sub assemblies are sequenced so that that the proper engine gets put into into the proper vehicle. In other words, there's no chance of a Jeep Patriot engine being put onto a Jeep Wrangler chassis.

In regards to the actual workers on the main artery assembly line, they are able to identify which vehicle is coming down the line and must be able to chose the correct part for that vehicle. The parts that are in their inventory of parts are made so that the wrong part can't be put on the wrong vehicle.

For example, one job I did was to put mufflers on trucks coming down the line. I would have to identify if a truck headed towards me down the line was a Dakota or a Cummins Turbo diesel and grab the correct muffler and then put it on the vehicle....but there was no way a Turbo Diesel muffler could be mounted on a Dakota or vice versa.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:30 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Rednroll
I believe he means they're "Sequenced" in that other part sub assemblies come in from separate assembly lines to the main artery. In other words there are sub assembly lines, where things like Engines, Axles, Dash clusters, etc. get assembled and when these sub assemblies come into the main artery those sub assemblies are sequenced so that that the proper engine gets put into into the proper vehicle. In other words, there's no chance of a Jeep Patriot engine being put onto a Jeep Wrangler chassis.

In regards to the actual workers on the main artery assembly line, they are able to identify which vehicle is coming down the line and must be able to chose the correct part for that vehicle. The parts that are in their inventory of parts are made so that the wrong part can't be put on the wrong vehicle.

For example, one job I did was to put mufflers on trucks coming down the line. I would have to identify if a truck headed towards me down the line was a Dakota or a Cummins Turbo diesel and grab the correct muffler and then put it on the vehicle....but there was no way a Turbo Diesel muffler could be mounted on a Dakota or vice versa.
Having worked for quite a few auto manufacturers, I know that things are a little different with each make and model. I recognize, and wholly relate to, your comment on muffler installation, how subassemblies and main assemblies work, etc. Where I am hung up is... if we went to the Toledo assembly plant and watched the tail end of line 1, would we see just 2-doors being run, just 4-doors being run, or does Chrysler/Jeep run an amalgamation of both simultaneously? I can see the necessity and recognition of different part types given the different packages of the Wrangler, but does the main line run as a hodgepodge or is there some symmetry to it (i.e. Scheduling has 450 2-doors running now, then 450 4-doors running next).

One of my biggest regrets in my short stint helping Dana through their bankruptcy reorganization was not getting to go to the Toledo plant for a tour.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

When I was shopping for my JK one salespeople showed me what was in production for their dealership and he could make changes to it color, axle, ect. All I had to do was leave a down payment and order what I wanted. Maybe all BS but it looked good on the computer screen!
Old 12-29-2011, 11:33 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It has to be based on the sales curve too, the sales of the four door outnumber the two door by a huge number. They seemed to make a lot more four doors when the 2012's came out and dealers only had completely stripped two door 2012 models. I guess supply and demand?

Quick Reply: 2 and 4 door built at the same time?