Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

2 door or 4 door?

Old 11-12-2014, 03:38 PM
JK Freak

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 2 Door

Well it really depends on what YOU want. I have a 2 door. I have a full roof rack as well so that eliminated any storage issues I may have had. It also opened up the ability to haul things I never would have been able to haul even with a 4 door. Pretty cool actually it's almost like having a pickup truck. Sure I limit it to 300 pounds but that is quite a bit of weight.

For people hauling and especially for our little baby getting into the back is very difficult. But, I go back to flying on this. The rule of thumb when shopping for a personal airplane (I'm talking Cessnas here not Learjets), is get a plane that meets your mission 90 percent of the time. Do you mostly travel with 4 people? Do you usually travel with 2? Or are you like me and 90% of the time you are in the Jeep all alone as a daily driver? Well, then do you really need 4 doors every time you take your Jeep out? Or can you put up with some of the space limitations of the 2 door when you need more room? Unless you are like Mark Doiron and drive all over the country on seemingly amazing and endless adventures!! (Super jealous Mark!), then really you have to think about space, how you use it, and which one will satisfy your mission the majority of the time. Either way if you are questioning it you will likely end up wondering what it would be like having the other once you do make the purchase! HAHA! So, just buy two!
Old 11-13-2014, 12:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

< Old JKU picture..

I've had 2 x 4drs and on my 2nd 2dr JK now. I liked the JKU for the size for camping etc, but prefer the 2dr now for the nimbleness on the trail. I only bring my oldest son with me and we have plenty of room for everything in the 2dr. It's also alot more fun to drive I find than the 4dr.

Both are very capable, but I prefer the 2dr now.
Old 11-15-2014, 05:16 PM
JK Newbie

I have owned several 2 door Jeeps. I currently own a 12 JKU 4 door and I really like it. The road manners are way better and for most of the four wheeling I do the 4 door works great. It all comes down to what YOU really want.
Old 11-16-2014, 10:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

The rockcrawlers here seems to prefer 4 door, anyway they have great movies, see them in 1080p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jXTL6dOdQc&list=UU7wnnGoViGUkBbddXgBivoQ
Old 11-21-2014, 11:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm a 4 door fan; even if you aren't hauling kids you can get a lot of stuff into a 4 door, especially with the back seats down. It's just a more useful vehicle and it still doesn't sacrifice any off -road cred or "Jeepiness" to do it.

I also don't like the proportions of the 2 door; I think the TJ just looks better. Strangely enough though, the 4 door looks just right to me.
Old 11-21-2014, 01:09 PM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

That's a question only you can answer, but I don't think anything beats the looks of a stretched and comp cut 2 door.
Old 11-21-2014, 01:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I still don't consider 4-doors to be real Jeeps. That only happened after Hummers turned into soccer mom vehicles. To each his own. Maybe if I had 3 kids and 2 dogs I would appreciate them more.
Old 11-21-2014, 03:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've had a YJ, 2 TJs and a JK 2 door. I now have a jku and by far I like it the best. But like the previous guy said I gave two dogs and they can both fit in the way back and I can still have passengers. Also agree that the TJ looks better than the 2drJK

Quick Reply: 2 door or 4 door?