Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

2 door or unlimited?

Old 08-12-2008, 06:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If there was no 4 door version, I simply could not have a Wrangler. This Jeep replaces my aging Land Rover Defender 90 which had only 2 doors but much more cargo room than a 2 door wrangler. No kids, but 4 Saint Bernards require some extra space, especially if we go camping.

2 door is the classic and can be better in extreme off-road situations, but it is really only good for 2 people plus camping gear or 4 people plus a picnic basket.

And I was very impressed with how well my Rubicon Unlimited did at a local 4x4 park. I had no problems with any obstacle I attempted and drove straight up an incredibly steep hill that one of the locals said once took him an hour to get up. With the improved technology: lockers, swaybar disconnect, low gears, etc, my new Jeep certainly out-performed my old Land Rover.
Old 08-12-2008, 06:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

X2. My wifes 2d is pretty much useless for running errands in.
The unlimited also rides better. IMO

Last edited by HappyCurmudgeon; 03-17-2009 at 07:30 AM. Reason: removed quoted text
Old 08-12-2008, 06:48 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for all the advice guy's, I appreciate it. Looks like a Yellow Rubicon Unlimited is in my future.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:18 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by echofoxtrot
I'd say go with the unlimited for that kind of cargo. The only way to get decent room in the two door is to remove the rear seats, which is how mine is right now. Rear seat access is also a big pain if you haven't looked at that already.

I think of the two door as a 2 seater with emergency seats in in the back.
Can't do anything but agree with this. I have a 2 door and love it. But the back seat is worthless. It's out so I have room to carry stuff.

In any practical sense the 2 door is a 2 seater.

If you look back at all the Jeeps from the past , MB's CJ's, TJ's, none of them would have what you would call comfortable rear seating.

Last edited by berg; 08-12-2008 at 09:20 AM.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I can't wait to add one of those external hitch trunks and that rack that attaches to the rear door. My Wrangler will have 4 doors, 3 rows of seats and loads and loads of storage room. It'll be a friggin' beast!!
Old 08-12-2008, 09:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you really want the 2 door get it, a cooler, a small tent and a couple of duffles will easily fit, I've done it. I also have 2 boys (1 & 3) we take off for weekend trips with the Jeep fairly often, normally have a cooler, pack-n-play, and a couple of backpacks behind the seat. I did opt to add a safari rack for longer trips but rarely use it if we are just going for one or two nights.

Last edited by Jeepin Dad; 08-12-2008 at 09:36 AM.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:49 AM
JK Newbie

I agree with most of the above. I only have 1 kid and I wasn't looking for a daily driver so it wasn't a difficult decision for me because I really love the looks of the 2 door JK and it's plenty big enough for my intended uses.

Howerver, I did test drive a 4 door though and I must say if I had two kids or if I was looking for a daily driver it would have been very tempting with all that extra room.

But if you're really torn I say go with your gut. The two door does have a decent amount of space and you can always use a trailer or a tow hitch type rack to add extra space in a pinch.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by SBSJeep
I agree with most of the above. I only have 1 kid and I wasn't looking for a daily driver so it wasn't a difficult decision for me because I really love the looks of the 2 door JK and it's plenty big enough for my intended uses.

Howerver, I did test drive a 4 door though and I must say if I had two kids or if I was looking for a daily driver it would have been very tempting with all that extra room.

Go with your gut.
exactly, well we figure about 6 more years and we're kidless...we'll appreciate the 2-dr more then...for now I'm keeping it...we'll get my wife a 4-dr one day...

Quick Reply: 2 door or unlimited?